PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Brimod shocks?

VintageRacer
16-04-2008, 05:43 AM
On my "yet to be restored" Optima, I have some after market shocks made by Brimod. They were a popular purchase for folks with Optimas at Kiddy club but I can't find any mention of them on the 'net.

I'm wondering if it was a small local company??

Thankfully I have a few spares to get them working well again.

VintageRacer
27-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I guess no-one does. I'll get some pics up here one day when I start my restoration.

terry.sc
27-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Brimod Engineering Developments Ltd were a small engineering company based in Wolverhampton, known mainly in the r/c world for their best shocks you could buy. They did produce the Brimod Bullet and Talisman Pro 10 chassis, as well as replacement driveshafts, UJs and pivot pins. They closed down in 1991, most likely due to the manufacturers having caught up with their designs.

traffman
27-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow i had a set of these !
I bought them and fitted them to the rear of my optima in the mid eighties.
I loved the look of them .. proper engineering , machined from alloy with a bleed grub screw at the top?
Mine leaked after a good use but i loved them .
If i can recall they cost me roughly 22.95 back in 87/88 which when i was 16 , 17 was a lot of money for me!

VintageRacer
30-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So it's not just me then. I remember my uncle joking that he could have bought a set of shock for his proper car for not much more money.

I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight.

Coincidentally, I noticed a small article in an old RRC mag announcing their new shocks for the PB Mini Mustang last night.

Baggie
30-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I used to have a few sets of Brimod dampers on my mini mustangs they were far better than the original kit ones. I have some pics somewhere.

racingdwarf
30-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I had a set of Brimod shocks on one of my cars think it was an optima, got them when on holiday, from a big shop in Edinbourgh many many years ago. They were great.......and huge!!

Baggie
30-04-2008, 05:32 PM
This is a pic of my old mini mustang with brimod shocks all round
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn188/jayap1540/2speed184.jpg

VintageRacer
30-04-2008, 08:39 PM
As promised here are some of my old Optima complete with Brimod shocks all round and home made motor guard. This is in the state it was put away in around 20 years ago with all the original period electronics too.

Amazingly one of the shocks still feels like it has some oil in and is working well.

terry.sc
01-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Looks like someone was racing on polished wood 20 years ago.:thumbsup:

VintageRacer
01-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Looks like someone was racing on polished wood 20 years ago.:thumbsup:

yep, and suprisingly I was the only one using foams with silicone for a couple of months. I won quite a lot of races until people realised why! Certainly the most cost effective upgrade I ever made to the car.

Northy
01-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I have those on my Optima, but never knew what they were :thumbsup:

What are the tyres you were running?

G

VintageRacer
01-05-2008, 09:10 AM
What are the tyres you were running?

They were foams from a touring car if I remember correctly. Don't know much more, it was too long ago. I rolled them in silicone bath sealer to add a stippled "sticky" layer to them. Worked a treat, I had grip where everyone else had none.

Nolan BJ4WE
01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
On my "yet to be restored" Optima, I have some after market shocks made by Brimod. They were a popular purchase for folks with Optimas at Kiddy club but I can't find any mention of them on the 'net.

I'm wondering if it was a small local company??

Thankfully I have a few spares to get them working well again.

I can't remember these (Brimod) shocks, perhaps because at the time I was doing my racing in South Africa. ?having said that, Trinity used to make purple shocks....these where great! I had my vintage YZ-10 fitted wth them....worked a treat. Will post some pictures when I have found them (missus did a house tidy the other day, and chucked all my old RC pictures out) :(:thumbdown::(

Teaboy
10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I remember running the silicone covered tyres at Kiddy indoor track in the mid / late 80's it was the only tyre to run, im sure the club had carpit just never used it.

Cheers

Rich

They were foams from a touring car if I remember correctly. Don't know much more, it was too long ago. I rolled them in silicone bath sealer to add a stippled "sticky" layer to them. Worked a treat, I had grip where everyone else had none.

Teaboy
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Just been in the loft and found a full set of Brimods, i think i may have run them on an early RC10, they are now going on my Mini Mustang once rebuilt. Now what else is in the box!!

Cheers

Rich

GRIFF55
10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I think I still have a brimod chassis conversion for an optima somewhere. Oval stickers if I remember too.

dodgydiy
10-11-2011, 08:22 PM
i have a set of brimod shocks too, they used to live on a maxima, but were on my ace for a while

Ted Maul
11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I used to have a few sets of Brimod dampers on my mini mustangs they were far better than the original kit ones. I have some pics somewhere.

I remember them well, the kit dampers were very poor - used two metal pins to hold the lower part of the shock cartridge in. Leaked like anything!

VintageRacer
20-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I think I still have a brimod chassis conversion for an optima somewhere. Oval stickers if I remember too.

If you could post a pic to 2, I'd like to see that. Don't think I ever saw one at the time.

Yep, oval stickers. I've got some stuck to my old stuff somewhere. Might even have some un-used ones as I have a packet of spares for the shocks.

VintageRacer
20-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I remember running the silicone covered tyres at Kiddy indoor track in the mid / late 80's it was the only tyre to run, im sure the club had carpit just never used it.

Cheers

Rich

I rarely raced indoors at Kiddy as it clashed with Scouts!! Most of my indoors racing was at Dudley.