PDA

View Full Version : ST220??

Lee
16-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Anyone had any experience with them.

I need to be sensible with regards to size of car, and i dont want to be in the gallon per mile group otherwise id have a holden.

Any info would be appreciated :)

Kecky
16-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Nice comfy car, with a nice sounding V6:thumbsup:
Handles better then the Vauxhall equivalent apparently ;)

Not that economical from what i remember my old boss saying, but it's a lot of car for the money.

stegger
16-04-2008, 08:16 AM
A couple of are sales guy's had them lee and loved them:thumbsup: In general the mondeo is a great car, it's the first time i've ordered the same car twice in all the time i've had company cars;)

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/25588/ford_mondeo.html

burgie
16-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I had a Mondeo V6, not a ST220, but the problems/areas to look out for are the same.

Basically the ST220 is a fantastic Car - fast and "refined" just make sure the engine one the you buy still "whines" when you drive it. You will know what i mean when you hear it.

You might want to replace the water pump for one with a metal impeller, or failing that replace the one in the car with a new one as soon as you get it - if the water pump fails, your looking at at least 1500 to put it back together.

Failing that, just listen for the usual noises when you test drive it - bangs from the suspension usually indicate worn wishbone and anti rill bar bushes, but these problems are common across all mondeos of that era. You may even find that you end up replacing the nearside front wishbone at least every MOT!

MPG wise, driven "sensibly" you will get around 25mpg around town, thrash it (you have to do that sometimes) you get between 10-15mpg but cruising on the motorway.....you get about 30-40. Just stick it in 5th and leave it there - and it will go from 35-120 without complaining, and it will do it quite quickly too.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if i do i will come back - oh, don't lower it. I lowered mine 50mm. By the time it had "settled" it was 75mm lower and I got it stuck in an NCP Multi storey Car Park. The bloke in the car behind, and the car behind him too were mightily pissed off having to reverse down the up ramps.... :lol:

Kecky
16-04-2008, 08:22 AM
And any car can be economical if you drive it right.

I can even get 30mpg out of my car.....and thats a damn site more than it says in the book :thumbsup:

Go on......you know you want one :lol:

stegger
16-04-2008, 08:29 AM
And any car can be economical if you drive it right.

I can even get 30mpg out of my car.....and thats a damn site more than it says in the book :thumbsup:

Go on......you know you want one :lol:
That's because you lightened it;):p:lol:

Lee
16-04-2008, 08:40 AM
:lol:

Yes i do want one, i have heard the mondeos are pretty good cars. And i do fancy something with a bit of umph.

Im not bothered about petrol prices anymore its just something you have to accept and take it like a man :cry:

I have seen a nice 04 one with 65k on it and mint, i am tempted but she would know it was a toy because they look smart too:lol:

Its not like buying a volvo T5, now that is a wolf in sheeps clothing

Chrislong
16-04-2008, 08:43 AM
In that catagory there is the Mondeo ST220, Vectra VXR and Mazda 6 MPS.

The Vectra id steer clear from.

The Mondeo is a great car, especially if you mean the newer one (but not the very latest shape). They also did an ST-Tdi in this shape, it may be nothing more than a stock Tdi with the ST kit on, but worth checking.

The Mazda 6 MPS is meant to be the nuts, 4wd and just as good as the Mondeo in terms of handling and speed - although on the outside it doesn't look quite as good as a Mondeo in my opinion but it is certainly a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Chris

Kecky
16-04-2008, 09:01 AM
That's because you lightened it;):p:lol:

Didn't do much for the aerodynamics though :lol:

The T5's eat's front tyres quicker Stegger goes through Pit chairs :woot::p

Lee
16-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Yeah i had heard that, there is also the fact that they are still a volvo :confused:

mark christopher
16-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I had a Mondeo V6, not a ST220, but the problems/areas to look out for are the same.

Basically the ST220 is a fantastic Car - fast and "refined" just make sure the engine one the you buy still "whines" when you drive it. You will know what i mean when you hear it.

You might want to replace the water pump for one with a metal impeller, or failing that replace the one in the car with a new one as soon as you get it - if the water pump fails, your looking at at least 1500 to put it back together.

Failing that, just listen for the usual noises when you test drive it - bangs from the suspension usually indicate worn wishbone and anti rill bar bushes, but these problems are common across all mondeos of that era. You may even find that you end up replacing the nearside front wishbone at least every MOT!

MPG wise, driven "sensibly" you will get around 25mpg around town, thrash it (you have to do that sometimes) you get between 10-15mpg but cruising on the motorway.....you get about 30-40. Just stick it in 5th and leave it there - and it will go from 35-120 without complaining, and it will do it quite quickly too.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if i do i will come back - oh, don't lower it. I lowered mine 50mm. By the time it had "settled" it was 75mm lower and I got it stuck in an NCP Multi storey Car Park. The bloke in the car behind, and the car behind him too were mightily pissed off having to reverse down the up ramps.... :lol:

ford sell bushes seperatly

In that catagory there is the Mondeo ST220, Vectra VXR and Mazda 6 MPS.

The Vectra id steer clear from.

The Mondeo is a great car, especially if you mean the newer one (but not the very latest shape). They also did an ST-Tdi in this shape, it may be nothing more than a stock Tdi with the ST kit on, but worth checking.

The Mazda 6 MPS is meant to be the nuts, 4wd and just as good as the Mondeo in terms of handling and speed - although on the outside it doesn't look quite as good as a Mondeo in my opinion but it is certainly a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Chris
our dealership is ford/mazda

the tdci is worth a look, is 2.2 and can be chipped for little money

Southwell
16-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I would go for the TDCI and chip/remap it personally.

Lee
16-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Ian,

Because of the economy/torque advantage?

racdeaf
16-04-2008, 09:41 AM
how about octavia vrs 1.8T 180bhp as i do have one massive boot space
mpg average 33 to 36 mpg ;)

Nick Goodall
16-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Gotta say the Octavia takes some beating - my Dad had the Mk1 when it first came out after i convinced him to try one - he then swapped it for the new Mk2 when that came out in 06. Both have silly amounts of boot space, go very well (and the mk1 is obviously very tuneable due that infamous 20v 1.8T lump and not hard at all to get at least 230bhp from).

What about Accord Type-R? Good on fuel as it's just an N/A 2.0l but it still goes well if you fancy thrashing it and using the V-tec, they're obviously nice and reliable too being a honda.... not something i can honestly say is the case with Fords.....

I'd definitely go and try the Octavia vRS though, for the money (around 5-7k) they are hard to beat and at least have the German build quality these days which i still think is where Fords let themselves down....

Southwell
16-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Ian,

Because of the economy/torque advantage?

Yeah, u get the performance but when your cruising you will still get good MPG.

Darren Boyle
16-04-2008, 11:07 AM
My last car was an ST220 and it was fantastic in every way...........except fuel economy which was to say the least poor (but then my right boot is a tad heavy).

We part exchanged it two months ago for one of the last ST TDCi Mondeos and I have to say it is fantastic. It has all the creature comforts of the ST220 but with the fuel economy that the diesel brings. We had it chipped with a bluefin unit and to be honest (although a bit slower than the ST220) it is rapid. Top end is not as high, but how often do we get there!!! You do have to work the gearbox far more, especially if its goes off boost (when it does bog down a lot) but with the turbo spinning it is a joy to drive and I would reccomned it to anyone.

Chrislong
16-04-2008, 11:11 AM
at least have the German build quality these days which i still think is where Fords let themselves down....

Got to disagree on Fords, I mean like any car a few slip through which have issues but the vast majority are very good. If you want poor build then get anything French, where they let the odd good one through :lol:. The Focus is built in Germany anyway (Saarlouis plant) as are other models, but then again not all things German are as good as their reputation lets you think - im hearing that the Mk5 Golf is not a patch on the Mk4 for quality... not that I can vouch for that.

Lee
16-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes i agree chris, i have been told by people who work for mercedes that they are crap, they would even pick a vectra over a merc:bored:

Im not a fan of mercs anyway but they do always seem very plasticy and cheap when i have been in one.:thumbdown:

Nick Goodall
16-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Got to disagree on Fords, I mean like any car a few slip through which have issues but the vast majority are very good. If you want poor build then get anything French, where they let the odd good one through :lol:. The Focus is built in Germany anyway (Saarlouis plant) as are other models, but then again not all things German are as good as their reputation lets you think - im hearing that the Mk5 Golf is not a patch on the Mk4 for quality... not that I can vouch for that.

You have a point on the Golf, i have a Mk4 and had a Mk5 as a courtesy car for a week and wasn't impressed - the whole interior felt more "plastic" then the Mk4 but then it wasn't a high spec model so maybe the GTI's are better now?

I still think that when you shut the door on a Ford it's quite different to the likes of BMW, Audi, VW etc.....

Southwell
16-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Well the VAG group were said to have cut quality for profits, seem to be living off their reputation for excellent cars.
My Mondeo on the other hand has not missed a beat in almost 2 years, not needed any work and does get ragged fairly often.

bigred5765
16-04-2008, 11:19 AM
having just bought a mazda i have to say i cant recomend them enough
and the mps version is giddy
but the 2ltr tdi would be my choice

Chrislong
16-04-2008, 11:36 AM
You have a point on the Golf, i have a Mk4 and had a Mk5 as a courtesy car for a week and wasn't impressed - the whole interior felt more "plastic" then the Mk4 but then it wasn't a high spec model so maybe the GTI's are better now?

I still think that when you shut the door on a Ford it's quite different to the likes of BMW, Audi, VW etc.....

Yep you got a good car Nick, it does have a good felling of quality.

I know what you mean on shutting the doors and it does sell cars, but I do think the Fords have a feeling of equal quality to what you mention - especially now on newer Fords, quality is really good (I am a fan). But even so, the feeling is insignificant, what really matters is the door will open and shut properly on demand for years and years which they do. Whereas before my dad semi-retired he used to do the welding in the area for various dealerships and he had a brand new, unregistered Fiat in which had a hinge welding break he had to repair!!! terrible car.

Kecky
16-04-2008, 11:49 AM
When I had my Clio 172 cup it felt completely different quality wise to Nicky's 1.2 Clio of the same year.......The Renaultsport models are apparently hand built in Dieppe, not sure how much of this is true, but the feel of the interior fitment etc was far superior.

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Yeah i had heard that, there is also the fact that they are still a volvo :confused:

Dont knock them we had a v50 its a diesel only a 2 litre and it goes weve had a v70 t5 and a v50 t5 to try and my god does it go lol :p And there so so so comfy we hardly ever stop now to stretch our legs when where on a long journey. We had a Mondeo quiet a high spec one when my mum crashed our old car and it was good defently fast but volvo are no longer old mens car. the new c30 is nice.

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I know what your saying ash,its all true:thumbsup: but im only 26, i dont want the wellies and cap image yet:lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Well my dad is 50 :p

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Thats my point :confused:

Hows your mum by the way? ;)

turbo_brick
16-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I know what your saying ash,its all true:thumbsup: but im only 26, i dont want the wellies and cap image yet:lol:

I'm only 28 and drive an 850 T5, definately hasn't got the wellies and cap image,:) it's even better when your in the outside lane of the motorway and everyone moves out of the way:thumbsup:.

Peter

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Making sausage rolls.

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:01 PM
For me?

Wraggy
16-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Hows your mum by the way? ;)
ha ha Quality !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Lee i like your style ...

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:03 PM
For me?

no for me i told her you liked cornish pasties and she said he can stuff off :p

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:05 PM
she always plays hard to get:lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I showed her the picture of you at the indoor finals getting your trophie and she says you have nice eye brows but your much to young for her :p

A:lol::lol::lol:

trekkerkk
16-04-2008, 01:14 PM
im currently an owner off an st220 02 plate feel free to ask any questions,
it is a really nice refined drive,
when you put your foot down and get the revs going it will surprise a few people,
all ive done is the induction,
if you want more power dream science do the best chip so to speak,
the cats are in the manifolds so cant really decat,

trekkker

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:14 PM
i had them done especially for her :lol:

Tell her ill come and see her at the weekend, is she staying in the caravan again?

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Sorry to dispoint lee but im not doing any nationals this year so she wont be there.

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I know your not going ash, but she is :lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:18 PM
is she :confused:

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:22 PM
how wrong is this topic.:lol:

Your dad will want to batter me soon :lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Thats what she just said, she is old enough to be your mother :p Go find someone your own age there are pleanty of online dating services :p

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:26 PM
There are plenty of online dictionaries too :lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Try www.buymyselfathaiwife.com

A

Lee
16-04-2008, 01:35 PM
i know a few fellas who have bought themselves a thai bride.

They are all fit as anything and will do anything, (even a number 69 for breakfast) One of them only had to get the girls family a washing machine :lol:

ashleyb4
16-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Maybe your could buy them a tumble dryer and you could have her sister :p

A

Nick Goodall
16-04-2008, 01:39 PM
i know a few fellas who have bought themselves a thai bride.

They are all fit as anything and will do anything, (even a number 69 for breakfast) One of them only had to get the girls family a washing machine :lol:

Ting-Tong Makadangdang???

millzy
16-04-2008, 01:51 PM
whats with the mum bashing?

stegger
16-04-2008, 04:53 PM
LEE, :lol::lol::lol:that's the poor lad's mother. Your wrong:lol::lol::lol:

Kecky
16-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Have you seen her though, I haven't.......................but I want to :lol:

gramey
16-04-2008, 10:57 PM

http://www.oople.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gifWe have a varied fleet where I work which includes Volvo T5's, Mondeo ST220's, Octavia VRs and Honda Accord Type R, Audi A6 2.7T.
The build quality on the Mondeo's in comparision to the others is quite frankly poor (54 - 57 plated). The Octavia is a couple of steps up the ladder from the Mondeo on this and the Volvo's and Audi are another rung up and the Honda slightly better than those.
Obviously the Audi with the bigger engine is quicker but is bigger, dearer to insure and thristy on fuel. In back to back controlled testing the Volvo S60 T5 was the best of the bunch. Same engine as the V70 but less weight which also meant improved braking and quicker acceleration, it trounced the ST220 and is built far better.
The Accord Type R has a brilliant engine, is very quick and is great to drive and screwed together very well if you don't fancy an S60 T5, never driven the Mazda so don't know on that front.
The ST220 is great value for money but there's a reason why it will be the cheapest to buy out of any of the above, it's not as well made pure and simple.
my personal car is a VW Passat 1.8T Sport estate, remapped to 220bhp, quick but thirsty when driven in ernest and likely to be replaced with an Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDi, 240bhp & good mpg!!:D