PDA

View Full Version : Hi/Intro thread

WilliamS
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Hello, I'm William, and I've been thinking of getting back into RC (A few years ago I did a bit of drifting in D1RC but due to a lack of money I never had a bit of kit that did what I wanted it to :p).

Anyway, now I have a job and I would like to get into RC, and as I hail from Biggleswade, if I got into racing it'd probably be at your club (after an appropriate bit of bribery... I mean payment) as it's just down the road, I figured that you'd be the best people to ask about where I get back into it!

I'm probably looking at getting a truggy or buggy, for reference. Probably electric (though nitro is tempting as it is less expensive as an initial outlay, so I could buy one sooner)... but I haven't had anything to do with RC for ages now so I don't know where to begin! What would be a good easy to maintain, rugged (I am merely a beginner after all) car for me to start with to race at Stotfold? Doesn't have to be RTR but in that case I will need help with motors, ESC's and radio options (though at least good radios and powertrain parts can be used on other chassis as I upgrade, when RTR spec stuff is usually a bit ropey :p)

I've had a bit of experience running a nitro car but it was a bit cheap and nasty. My main reservation about nitro is the noise - if I could have a regular place to bash it without annoying people that live in the area then I would have no qualms about running nitro! (If nitro is allowed to race at Stotfold of course, didn't see any info about this on the site!)

Anyway, if you got through all that, thanks. Even more thanks if you have any help to offer!

JCJC
06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Just a quick reply William, Stotfold had a full days racing today, second round 4WD regional, I expect next Sunday (13th) will be a club meeting (depending on the rain this coming week etc) the following two Sundays see regionals at Watford and Surrey&Hants, so possibly no club at Stotfold. (there is a Wednesday club night, see website)

Stotfold is electric and in the 'mid-south area (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)' I think your best bet would be to pop along to one of the club meetings to see what people are using, its one of the best clubs in the country and I am sure you will be welcomed. You will get lots of good advice and may even find some good second hand stuff.

spenner
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Some things to look at....

Although nitro is appealing, you generally need another person with you to compete at meetings. The initial outlay is probably just as expensive as electric. It is good fun, but it can be a pain for a starter.

Electric is simple, you will need a car and electrics. Turn up charge your batteries and away you go. With local club meetings attracting around 40 drivers, you always have help and advice available.

Prices:

Nitro...

Car - Half decent one with good parts availablity £300
Engine - As above £175
Pipe - £30
Starter box - £50
Transmitter - £100
Servos - Good quality for 8th £100
Charger - £40
Receiver pack - £15
Wheels and tyres - £40 For one set...

Electric....

Car - Race spec losi, Schumacher, Kyosho, Durango £200
Speed control and motor - £165
Lipo - 65
Transmitter - £100
Servo - £50
Wheels and tyres - £25 a set
Charger - £40

Local clubs within 50 miles..

Stotfold MCC Elec
Herts Elec/8th
Silverstone RCMCC Elec
Telstar Elec
Watford (DMS) Elec

Local shops/internet sales

www.insidelineracing.co.uk (http://www.insidelineracing.co.uk)
www.dms-racing.com (http://www.dms-racing.com)

WilliamS
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Wow, great info. Scary looking prices (~£650 for everything it seems. Nitro isn't an option now as I'll want to race eventually!). I'll pop along one day (probably Sunday if the weather holds out, or the Wednesday after it) and have a nose around. I need to see what I'm getting into for that money :p Thanks guys.

spenner
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
You can get into it for half the price if you go for a ready to run, i was just going by your post saying that isn't really an issue. And tbf the rtr kits nowadays are pretty good.

Plus 2nd hand is always an option for starting...

Once you have the taste of it you will be a Stotfold regular :thumbsup:

WilliamS
06-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Well my initial plan was to go RTR, I'm just not aversed to spannering if it's ever a cheaper option :p If laziness is ever less expensive I will be happy to be lazy :D

gainsy
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Once you have the taste of it you will be a Stotfold regular :thumbsup:

Bang on, watch this video from today, what better way to spend your sundays :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZIkSMEYosQ

JCJC
07-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Wow, great info. Scary looking prices (~£650 for everything it seems. Nitro isn't an option now as I'll want to race eventually!). I'll pop along one day (probably Sunday if the weather holds out, or the Wednesday after it) and have a nose around. I need to see what I'm getting into for that money :p Thanks guys.

Do check the Stotfold web site (http://www.stotfoldmcc.com/) before going, the drought may be causing problems and any cancelled meeting will be listed.

RTR is a good option, who knows you may find you need 2 and 4 wheel drive :o, but RTR will need better electrics sooner rather than later, they tend to be lower power options, good to get started with, but to go faster you will need to change the motor and this will mean changing the speed control, then you may find the RTR transmitter needs more options....... on it goes....

see what people are running, ask lots of questions if the drivers don't look to busy, easier these days between rounds - lots of time to chat, ask different drivers the same questions, you will get different answers. enjoy

WilliamS
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Having looked at prices I think for simplicity's sake I might go for 2WD (at first...:p). I imagine it's technically a bit more challenging as well to drive. The Associated RC10B4.1 and its Truggy brother are about £210-230, RTR and brushless, and they look quite good as well...

But yeah, I'll see what people are running (if the site says that anyone is going to be running), ask questions, look sorrowfully at my bank balance...

I know how the rain might cause problems, but how would the drought cause it? That sounds a bit... odd.

chuckie stella
07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Having looked at prices I think for simplicity's sake I might go for 2WD (at first...:p). I imagine it's technically a bit more challenging as well to drive. The Associated RC10B4.1 and its Truggy brother are about £210-230, RTR and brushless, and they look quite good as well...

But yeah, I'll see what people are running (if the site says that anyone is going to be running), ask questions, look sorrowfully at my bank balance...

I know how the rain might cause problems, but how would the drought cause it? That sounds a bit... odd.

I think the drought was a touch of sarcasm :)

The B4.1 RTR is a great if not the best place to start. Get yourself to Silverstone club nights if possible where you can try mine!!

I would definitely recommend starting with 2wd. It's cheaper, easier maintainence and cheaper on tyres also.

Matt

WilliamS
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I am honestly never sure when the real world and the water companies don't agree, so I assume literal :p

B4.1... thanks. That's going to save a lot of time typing :D I may take up your offer of a test drive, but I might just be impatient and get one rashly. Amazon do one for £200 which sounds like a complete bargain...