PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Newbie

Stomly
07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi all, appreciate you being here.

Was just testing the water about racing for juniors. My nephew is 9yo and has shown an interest in cars and anything RC. Being the cool uncle I am, I think he would be very interested in racing.

Just wondering about the age range for juniors really. Is 9 too young? I`m kinda thinking its probably never too young as they seem to pick up things incredibly easily at his age. He`s an avid gamer so hand-eye co-ordination is no problem for him.

I would be willing to build him a car and support his racing if he was interested (I had a couple of tamiyas in my teens and now fly r/c aircraft so know a little about servos and radios etc).

Any info on introducing a junior would be most appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Richard.

Fozzy1989
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Younger the better really, i know at Batley we have a ful lheat of Under 13s every week, so plenty of other kids to mingle woth too:thumbsup:

Richard Lowe
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Never too young to start if the interest is there :thumbsup:

I started when I was 8 :)

Jabber
07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
He will be fine. The kids already racing there range from 6 to 13 and like you said they pick it up very quick. The more the merrier. :thumbsup:

tc3nitro
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I would recommend you get along to your local model shop (MB Models) and have a look at what they have to offer.

Mark

Stomly
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
i`m no stranger to a merry hour in a model shop:eh?:

Stomly
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I guess the next step would be to come hang around for an hour on a Sunday afternoon?

We`ll get an idea how keen he is by how much he goes on about it when he gets home.....

Oscar
08-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Pop down for a chat, the full calendar is on our website and if a meeting is cancelled due to poor weather, a post will be made here to let everyone know :)

Danny Harrison
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm hopefully takin our lasses lad a week on Sunday. He's pretty nervous about it, so if your ready for then that may make them both feel better about being new :)

I run 4wd and bought him the same. Seems they run 2wd for under 13's but I think they will let him run anyway. Cant afford to buy another just yet.....

edit, He's 11 y/o btw