PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to buy Zx-5

codieskid
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys

I am currently trying to buy a kyosho ZX-5 either new or used but if I buy one new can anyone on here recommend a cheap place to get one from. The cheapest price I have found so far was from a company called ben racing which was £226 inc vat and delivery.

I did manage to find a couple of places in the US which ranged from between $255-$275 which works out at about £140 but thats without delivery which seems to add on a further $100+

So does anyone know any better places to buy one from either in the UK or the states?

Cheers

Trevor

notlawnomis
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
You have a pm

codieskid
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Just a quick update on this, the best deal I can find so far is £168 delivered to my door brand new. What do you guys think, does this sound like a good price?

Trev

jim76
10-09-2006, 09:35 PM
well, the cheapest in the UK is about £218 from Apex, so yes £168 is pretty good. With the modifications necessary to make it reliable you should have a complete car for £300!

codieskid
10-09-2006, 09:40 PM
When you say modifications necessary to make it reliable, what do you mean? Are there certain things that are wrong with the car?

After reading the review on here it sounds like a good buggy. I also saw that it was recommended to get the zx-5 ti Screw kit and also I saw that a good mod is the atomic carbon top deck, chassis and front and rear shock towers so is that what you meant?

jim76
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
yes, the screw kit is essential. the atomic carbon stuff is great too. You also need the alloy hinge pin braces and shock mount holders. oh, and ceramic/tungsten diff balls as the kit balls are crap. also 10 deg front hubs.

did you get my e-mail the other day Trevor?

andreasH
11-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I would say that it is not necessary to get all the things.
There are a lot of racers who win competitions with nearly a kit setup.

A screw kit and the alloy hinge pins are advisable. And get some pinions.

Diff balls, Carbon and the other alloy hop ups are not a must have.

Just drive with the kit setup and then see what you need!

codieskid
11-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi James

Yeah I did get your email about but I think I am going to try and get a zx-5 now. Sorry.

Also I do plan on getting some of the above mentioned parts but will probably get the standard kit first and then tweek it from there.

bally
11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
anybody who wants a cheap zx5 give me a call on 0113 2603330 £200 delivered i have a few in stock!!!

SCOTT DICKINSON
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
All these bits required made my ZX5 an expensive car:(
also James you need rear CVDS as kit comes with doggie bones
i sold mine for £100 to a learner and i only used it indoor for 3 runs as i couldnt find a buyer for it:o
Nathan Ralls one goes very well though

OldTimer
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
As people have said the carbon fibre is not a must have, but if you do fancy some, try the shock towers and top deck first, then maybe later try the chassis.

A tip with the front tower is to use the carbon fibre one as well as the kit one, this make's it super strong ;).

But the screw kit is the number one thing to get even before you build the car.

bert digler
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
As people have said the carbon fibre is not a must have, but if you do fancy some, try the shock towers and top deck first, then maybe later try the chassis.

A tip with the front tower is to use the carbon fibre one as well as the kit one, this make's it super strong ;).

But the screw kit is the number one thing to get even before you build the car.

any chance of some out of ya thickest stuff 5mm is it

OldTimer
11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
To be honest the 3mm is fine, but the Kyosho team drivers use the doubled up towers for ultimate reliablety. Going to 5mm pushes the cost up alot :(

jim76
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
All these bits required made my ZX5 an expensive car:(
also James you need rear CVDS as kit comes with doggie bones
i sold mine for £100 to a learner and i only used it indoor for 3 runs as i couldnt find a buyer for it:o
Nathan Ralls one goes very well though

forgot about the CVD's Scott, well remembered. And the doubled up front shock tower is defo the way to go!
Mine has all this on, plus rear alloy hinge pins and shock mount holder. Rolling chassis is over £400.
But it is quality. 4th in the mid-south A final first time out with the car and beat Rich Cree!!

SCOTT DICKINSON
12-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Thats a very good result:D ASTOR BOYS HEY! your alot quicker than me:(
when you down this way next?
i have a car for you to try!
also has any one mentioned upgrading the wheel hexes to ali ones

dont get me wrong i do not dislike any chasis the more types the better and i think the zx5 is the best for a competitive newcomer this is the car we recomend as its quite simple and realy well priced and we recomend upgrading it as and if they brake it.

come play with my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jim76
12-09-2006, 09:41 PM
in fairness it was his first time out with the yoke, but hey it was my first time out also!

i do have the ali hexes but found with the last set of wheels i put on that there was quite a bit of gap between the hex and wheel allowing the wheel to turn inside the hex. i put the plastic ones back on as they seemed a fraction bigger. hopefully just a dodgy set of wheels.

i'll be down in mid october so get that Durango charged up. I've always wanted to trash an expensive rare car!!

spenner
13-09-2006, 05:40 PM
If you are still interested in ZX5 and havent found one i have something that might interest you.
You will have to contact me by tonight or it will be too late.

name is john
email:tufc2003@hotmail.com

codieskid
13-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Cheers But I bought a ZX-5 2 days ago.

Sorry

Trev