PDA

View Full Version : FTX Vantage stripped screws

Triniboy
15-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Guys

I recently bought a FTX Vantage from ebay but it looks like the previous owner ran it through the rain and the muddy water may have resulted in the screws around the gearbox being locked in. When trying to unscrew the gearbox to change the spur gear the allen key is beginning to round off. How best to tackle screws when the allen end end are beginning to round. I was also just think of buying a new one and using this one as parts, its just the spur gear I need to replace.

Cheers

Danny Harrison
15-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Guys

I recently bought a FTX Vantage from ebay but it looks like the previous owner ran it through the rain and the muddy water may have resulted in the screws around the gearbox being locked in. When trying to unscrew the gearbox to change the spur gear the allen key is beginning to round off. How best to tackle screws when the allen end end are beginning to round. I was also just think of buying a new one and using this one as parts, its just the spur gear I need to replace.

Cheers

What I do, is firstly get some replacement screws, stainless steel ones will last forever.

Then take a dremel with the circular cutting blade and cut a line in the top of the allen bolt. Then use a flat head screwdriver to get it out.

The bolts will be pretty useless after and be careful not to mess up the cutting or u may get even more stuck. Works for me everytime, just need a steady hand and some protective glasses so you can watch closely :)

Triniboy
15-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Ah that sounds like a good plan, worst case scenario and the chassis is ruined its still cheaper to buy than a new car. Thank you.

Rhum51
15-05-2012, 04:37 PM
if you currently have a brushless setup, consider buying the brushed version (100 quid cheaper than the brushless version) and swap the elctrics.