PDA

View Full Version : 2WD Tyres and tyrewear

lordnikon
16-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I know the track has been changed and updated (for the better :thumbsup:) but ever since, my rear tyres have been chewed through at quite a rate. Set of Yellow mini spikes were gone in the last qualifying heat and three finals on Sunday.

Is this normal wear ? and have i just been driving like a girl up until now :blush: or does it sound high ? Never noticed it before and could usually do a days racing on a set without too much problem.

I dont mind, just intrigued to know if this is the norm or not :confused:

makinwaves
16-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Have to agree with you. Don't know why but the yellows are being destroyed in 2-3 runs.

I thought it was just me, but it does seem odd with not many flat out corners and plenty of obstacles to contend with.

Mark

mikeyscott
16-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Sounds about right.

How well set is your slipper?

When I did one of the summer rounds I went through three sets of rears.

This weekends regional at DMS I'll be having two sets of mini pins glued ready, maybe three with the included practice.

I know of some people at regional/nationals that run a new set of rears every run.

Crash
16-05-2012, 12:07 PM
+1
I suppose to be at the front all the time you need to invest in a couple of sets but for club racing i'm considering using shuey blues or bb blues. the wear rate is definitely higher though.

Chris

mikeyscott
16-05-2012, 12:10 PM
+1
I suppose to be at the front all the time you need to invest in a couple of sets but for club racing i'm considering using shuey blues or bb blues. the wear rate is definitely higher though.

Chris

I used to use blues and yes wear is better. I'll be using them prob for morning meetings along with my spare schumacher greens etc I'd only use at Stotfold in the wet etc.

When it comes to regional/summer series and other bigger meetings I'll just get yellows ready.

Crash
16-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I used to use blues and yes wear is better. I'll be using them prob for morning meetings along with my spare schumacher greens etc I'd only use at Stotfold in the wet etc.

When it comes to regional/summer series and other bigger meetings I'll just get yellows ready.

Agreed. One set just isn't enough for qualifying AND three finals, but the performance of yellows is better.
you pays your money and you take your choice. simple.

RobW
16-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I think it is also a bit car and possibly set-up dependent.

With my Losi 22 last summer I could quite easily chew a set of yellow rears in three runs in the dry and the drop off after that was so significant that it was not really worth running them even for club morning meetings - it would just spin out at the end of the straight.

After changing to the C4.1 this year I can easily do 6 runs before any real drop off. I did last sunday's meeting on 2 sets of part worn sets and car was the best it has been this year.

One theory I have is that the Losi was spinning the wheels more and therefore wearing the tyres more?

I suppose if tyre wear is an issue for you, you might want to look at slipper set-up or a softer motor?

Rob

dibble34
16-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I have noticed tire wear as well. My kyosho with a loose slipper is worse than my Durango which surprised me! My theory is the track is a lot wider so we are taking more corner speed, sliding and wearing tyres out that way. Track has a few stop start areas as well. Just my theory, but IMO tyre wear has increased...

lordnikon
16-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have thought about the slipper, it seemed tight although the nut was backed off so will be replacing it all before next time.

I've actually swapped the motors down to an 8.5 turn with more progressive boost, not much better tbh.

Will try tinkering and see if it helps, I'm not moaning dont take it the wrong way, just glad its not only me :blush:

dibble34
16-05-2012, 06:35 PM
The only other thought I had is the track seems to be more dusty. Not sure if that would have an effect? Apart fro the tyre wear, the track seems more consistent to me which is good.

lordnikon
16-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Agree the track is fantastic, apart from that little roller on the hairpin before the double :blush: lol

I did notice alot more astroturf over the car kicked up so grip is definately up, just guess that trades off against tyre wear.

Definately more consistent too, its genuinely a pleasure to see the top boys hammering around :thumbsup:

dibble34
16-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Yep, that is tricky bit! I guess just need to commit to 2 sets of tyres for a summer series day.

SteveB
17-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Tyre wear is no different than last year but individually the wear maybe more due to the track being easier to drive due to the width, so I know that contradicts but your all driving better and faster :thumbsup:

Couple of tips, less toe, less practice lol, clutch can help, use older tyres am when track is green, as soon as it dusts up put new boots on, oh drive like button :
:thumbsup:

I used one new set and a half on sunday,

MrMagoo
17-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Like Steve I did a set and a half in 4wd drive on Sunday. I'll use the part worns for a Sunday morning, and then finish both sets right off practicing. Then it's time to crack out the acetone, will be able to reuse the wheels and should be able to salvage the foams to.

I agree with Steve on the wear, we're all going much faster than last year, and in my case getting more sensitive to worn tyres. Last year I was running them till they were bold, and not really thinking about the drop off in performance I was driving so badly. Now I'm starting to get the hang of it I think I notice the tyre wear more quickly.

Stuweatherman
17-05-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.aquarhythmcharterandmarine.co.uk/boat%20images/hert%20tyre%20wear.jpg

Don't know what people are worried about, this is what happened to my 8th tyres at herts in a 20 minute final! These are 18.99 a pair not 7.99 like the schumachers yellows!! lol :woot:

DHB
17-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Have to agree with a lot of comments made that it no differnt than last year. I done 2 fronts and 2 rears Sunday, still with some tread left, but like anything if you want to be at the top then you live with the cost. 4 rounds and 3 finals and practise is not to bad really at the speeds we go. Harder you drive quicker they wear.