PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried ballistic buggy pink mini spikes on slippy floor?

Danny Harrison
16-05-2012, 02:48 PM
As title, just wonder if anyone has tried them. I have an unused set but have been told they wont work as well as the yellow schumachers. They are much softer though and feel really grippy on my laminate.

I'd rather not mount them if there not too good, i'll put them on ebay

Any input?

Thanks in advance, Danny

ben
16-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Think you'll be wasting your time with the pinks. Schumacher yellow compound seems to be the only thing that works indoors!

Darren Boyle
16-05-2012, 03:17 PM
BB Whites are not too bad though......

hotrodchris
16-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Love BB Whites need a lot of cleaning to get the release agent off them but work straight away unlike schuie yellows where they need scrubbing in!

Danny Harrison
16-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Think you'll be wasting your time with the pinks. Schumacher yellow compound seems to be the only thing that works indoors!
Seems to be what most people have said, reallyu wierd how a softer compound grips less.

I wish they would do the schumachers in their white compound, that stuff is brilliant on my mini 8ight.

Darren Boyle
16-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Love BB Whites need a lot of cleaning to get the release agent off them but work straight away unlike schuie yellows where they need scrubbing in! The latest batch of BB whites seem to have almost no release agent on at all, much easier to clean and install now :thumbsup:

hotrodchris
16-05-2012, 03:44 PM
The latest batch of BB whites seem to have almost no release agent on at all, much easier to clean and install now :thumbsup:
Spot on Darren take it you will have a copious amount with you on Sunday then!:thumbsup:

KennyClark
16-05-2012, 04:34 PM
In what conditions do Ballistic pinks work on?
Only on really wet astro?

passy
16-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Wet muddy grass at the point where the grass has been smoothed flat by cars and a slight polished sheen to the grass can be seen.

Darren Boyle
16-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Spot on Darren take it you will have a copious amount with you on Sunday then!:thumbsup: Sadly, there will not be enough slippy floor for them to be of much use this weekend

av4625
16-05-2012, 05:30 PM
its not that they grip less i think they would grip more then break away violently which makes it feel less grippy i run on polished floor and yellow minispikes work well til they are bald

Danny Harrison
16-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Ye, I've got a set of mini spikes they working pretty well. I did go racing at newcastle on slippy floor a few weeks ago and full spikes were the tires of choice. They seemed to have way more grip, gonna try them on friday

TARTMAN
16-05-2012, 11:13 PM
They work great on some wet astro tacks, but wear rather quickly. Use a harder insert to stop to much roll on the corners as there very soft.

Yellow pins work indoors mostly, great on carpet and OK on slippy, ish lol.....:D

Danny Harrison
19-05-2012, 11:22 AM
They work great on some wet astro tacks, but wear rather quickly. Use a harder insert to stop to much roll on the corners as there very soft.

Yellow pins work indoors mostly, great on carpet and OK on slippy, ish lol.....:D

I tried the pinks last night for a couple laps and they just broke away on the back end all the time.

Tried some yellow full spikes that I'd worn down a bit on the street and they were great. Most grip I've had their yet.

jkclifford
23-05-2012, 04:44 AM
If its polished wood, yellow full spikes once run in (2/3 worn out) will always be the fastest tyre. But yellow and blue minispikes can be fast with a well set up cart!

Danny Harrison
23-05-2012, 01:17 PM
If its polished wood, yellow full spikes once run in (2/3 worn out) will always be the fastest tyre. But yellow and blue minispikes can be fast with a well set up cart!

Ye there were noticeably quicker than the minispikes I used the fortnight before. I actually lapped another guy who beat me the prior meeting. I did wear them down somewhat on the street first, so maybe an expensive tyre to use having to do that, but I think they will last reasonably from this point onwards.

I'd say the centre spikes are worn around half way down, but hoping they will wear much slower from this point onwards.

jkclifford
23-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Try not to rum them in on tarmac / concrete, ots cuts them of at an angle, no good.

What you need to do os have another set glued up and just run them in in practise, takes a long time 5 weeks maybee.

To be in the A at forcc its all about tyre managment don't let yourself run out of race tyres, I'm running in sets now ready for the winter double the time racing you soon get through em!! you just run out of scrubbing time!!!

Danny Harrison
23-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I noticed that a bit, I think ill get another set on order then and make a start. :thumbsup:

Big G
23-05-2012, 03:31 PM

I disagree. At our club a full spike car hasn't won consistently for a long time. They have the odd win every couple of months, but the mini spike cars usually dominate week to week.

It does make me wonder why quite a lot of the slower (no offense to them) still opt for the full spike when the mini spike is cleaning up...

I tried pinks a while ago and while they weren't too bad I decided to save the for outdoors

av4625
23-05-2012, 04:19 PM
agree the slower guys use full spikes the quick guys use yello mini's

jameswilkinson7
23-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I find full spikes are more predicable and consistent, but not faster.

Danny Harrison
23-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Wonder if its just that the mini spikes needing scrubbing in, they were very new last time. Ill have to test both on the same day.

Big G
23-05-2012, 07:21 PM
na scrubbing in. just give them an acetone bath first :D

jkclifford
23-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I disagree. At our club a full spike car hasn't won consistently for a long time. They have the odd win every couple of months, but the mini spike cars usually dominate week to week.

It does make me wonder why quite a lot of the slower (no offense to them) still opt for the full spike when the mini spike is cleaning up...

pop down to forcc and show us how its done then!

Full spikes need to be run in, and give considerable more side bite than a mini spike.

Mini spikes are the easier tyre to live with as they run in faster, but the grief you get with full spikes is worth it.

The other problem is that the quality is poo as you can get good sets and bad sets.

Danny Harrison
23-05-2012, 10:33 PM
pop down to forcc and show us how its done then!

Full spikes need to be run in, and give considerable more side bite than a mini spike.

Mini spikes are the easier tyre to live with as they run in faster, but the grief you get with full spikes is worth it.

The other problem is that the quality is poo as you can get good sets and bad sets.

This made me feel better :) I'm still sure the full spikes (which are worn down a good bit) gave me more grip than the mini spikes did. I also run a lot faster than another lad who was using worn in mini spikes (who beat me both previous times)

discostu
24-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm intresting:)

jkclifford
24-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Why the acetone bath?

I've been led to believe this sods them up, or is this what people tell you because actually it makes them grip better?!

Big G
24-05-2012, 11:03 AM
not so much a bath . I just poured it over them and towel dried them. using them out of the packet was a joke, it was like driving on ice. after I zoomed around on the road they were better, but the acetone washed ones are awesome straight way.