PDA

View Full Version : get back into RC

mjp
20-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi

Years ago I used to race 1/10 off road, mostly 4WD and had a Schumacher CAT 2000 EC, with a few Trinity motors and the usual crap along with it! I'd like to get back into it, it seems more difficult than ever to pick a good model with so much being available

I'm thinking a 2WD kit with good spares would be a good idea so was narrowing it down to manufacturers I know have existed for decades (Schumacher, AE, and Losi) with my choice looking towards a AE RC10B4.1 (suggestions greatly appreciated!)

However I have no idea whatsoever about the motors, ESC, batteries etc.. I've done quite a lot of research and it's a minefield!

My old 15x2 Kinwald was quite nippy in my CAT, but with brushless motors this obviously is not a like-for-like... the closest I can estimate to that is a 6.5T Brushless which I think would be quite a bit faster anyway)

What would people suggest would be good? I've got a list below which seems OK at face value and mid-priced but I have no idea really

AE RC10B4.1 2WD
M-Troniks G2 competition with an M-Troniks G2 6.5T brushless (WITD between sensored and sensorless in terms of reliability, performance?)
Savox SC-1258 Servo
Spektrum DX-3C Tx and Rx combo
Hpi Plazma 4000 MAh Lipo power cells

Any help appreciated!

M

eyeayen
21-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Personally I'd get a long to your local club, see what people are running, see what they say about them.

lardy37
21-05-2012, 12:36 AM
hi, yes i would deff go to nearest club to see what people are running but the b4.1 is still good car i have 2 a standard and a worlds, the car is easy to set up, bits are easy to get and its a very forgiving car to drive, and yes a 6.5 would be very rapid got 8.5 in both of mine and savox servo is good choice, as for schumacher and losi both very good cars but seem to be harder to set up a freind has losi 22 and he is going back to b4.1 as for batterys i run crc lipos and yeah racing, speedo def go sensored thats about all i know on that but i got orca and tekin rs :)

Danny Harrison
21-05-2012, 01:33 AM
the b4.1 is excellent and will be very competitive. For lipo's you can get gens ace 5000mah 50c ones for £32 and hard cased at that (giantshark.co.uk)

A 6.5t will be too fast, I run a 6.5 in my 4wd and have to limit the current on most tracks as I cant get the power down.

I run a tekin rs pro and tekin motor in mine, really excellent kit and massively tuneable. A 10.5T tekin setup is stinking fast in a 2wd and can be boosted too. With an 8.5t I think you'll be limiting the power but may be able to use it all with some skills.

RCDomination.com
21-05-2012, 08:18 AM
as advised a 10.5 is the old 19 turn as you would know it but performs far more like a 17-15 turn. with the technology now available you can run advanced timing on a 10.5 and make it as quick as any other car out there but still have a usable car motor combo whilst you refind your feet

from you list the only bit i would change is motor and speed controller. the hobby wing 120A is the same as a lot of top manufacturers use and a fraction of the cost. you can then update the soft ware to the advanced programs at a later date to give more pace as for motors. hpi, speed passion, hobbywing, tekin all make very good motors, both in performance quaity and price

any other questsions or advise feel free to ask on here or via pm

Nathan

mattr
21-05-2012, 10:25 AM
What eyeayen said, see what your local club runs, i got a RC10 B4.1 (as it was a familiar name from way back) turns out virtually no-one in our club runs one. (Well, one guy has a mid motor conversion, but he's rarely there). Also, spares supply where we are is a bit ropey.

So i sold it and got what everyone else runs.

6.5T is mental in 2wd, i tried it, got very expensive in wings and tyres, and hitting things. Try something a bit slower.