PDA

View Full Version : front diff slipping and making a clicking sound, help please

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I got a caster s10b for our lasses kid to start racing with. It was fine but 1 of the wheels binded while on the track and now it sounds like the front diff is slipping and making a clicking sound under acceleration and braking.

I've stripped it down and checked the gears and they are fine. I took the diff apart and put back together tightening to what felt right too.

I cant figure it out, I'm 99% sure its diff related. If I hold the car against the floor and turn the spur gradually by hand, I can feel the tension building then its released with a click sound.

Any ideas what it is? Should I just buy a new diff assembly?

Thanks in advance for any advice recieved, I'm still reletively new to this game :thumbsup:

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 05:05 PM
After more fiddling it would seem the 'clicking' sound it coming from the spur gear when the slipper clutch slips. Could it just need new pads?

Edit, took the slipper out and its not that, I've finally narrowed it down to the rear diff, but now I'm at a dead end :(

Timee80
24-05-2012, 05:18 PM
That would be the first thing to check then. At least it is a cheap option to try first

Hpi_guy
24-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Have do looked at the bearings and inside the hubs, could be a collapsed bearing or some debris inside the hub, also check drive shafts and joints

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 05:50 PM
ok its the front diff... New guy fail :blush:

I've uploaded a video of the problem.

The hex wrench is stopping the ball cup which attaches to the center drive shaft from spinning so the diff is slipping in the video. It only makes the sound when it slips.

No idea how to fix it or why it's doing it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kYAPOCXMk&feature=youtu.be

neallewis
24-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I can look on saturday for you...
How is the drive transferred from the spur shaft to the front diff?
Sounds like a belt slipping, but its not belt drive ;-)
I'll find the instructions online and take a look.

SamRCRacing
24-05-2012, 07:02 PM
The main thing that goes on the caster are bearings. I've had many problems with them! That could be a bearing but not 100% sure.

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I seem to have narrowed it down to the front diff assembly slipping bud, I've just had it out, stripped it down and basically just put it back together and tightened it pretty good. I think I may have solved it, its not clicking how it was in the vid now.

Gonna test it on street in a min, just getting it back together. :thumbsup:

Callum's Dad might be down on sunday so if he is callum wont be racing. It's prolly 50/50 though. Be a good day for him to start too.

It's been since I used your back wheels at cullingworth :) only just got round to sorting it. Got the tekin motor in their for him too, just trying to get the gearing and timing/boost etc right for sunday.

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 07:22 PM
well its not perfect, but its a lot better. His bloody front tyres are on their last legs though now off testing on the concrete....

Guess I better get him another set on the way to sherburn :( funds are dwindling big time with this hobby :)

jim76
24-05-2012, 07:44 PM
that click is odd, not diff slipping as that wouldn't turn quite so easy and would be more scrapy noise.
To me it sounds like the bevel gears skipping? Can you shim the front diff closer to the bevel gear? take a couple of shims from the inside of the diff and move them to the outside to make the mesh tighter against the crown gear?

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I thought that too, but there is no sign of wear on them at all. They seem to be where they should be. I'll open it up again and have a look. I didnt notice any shims on it at all. are they the real thin 'washer' type things?

Col
24-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I know what you've done...

You, sir, are a true genius! You've managed to make a 15 year old xx4 with tripple belt drive and a clicker in the front look like a modern s10b.

It's the only possible way to get that sound... (Jim will know what I'm on about, even if you don't!)

Danny Harrison
24-05-2012, 08:02 PM
It's got me totally baffled, think what jim said about the bevel gears could be worth a shot. Cant see how the diff slip can make the sound either :(

Collegeboy
31-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I take it, you are running the kit plastic bevell and pinion in both front and rear. One of the main problems with the plastic setup is that the pinion gears are poorly machined. If you take out the cup and pinion, hold it up vertically, you will see that the pinion gear sits at a slight angle. The reason being the poor drilling of the pinion hole. This then causes over a sort period of time, one section of the pinion teeth to wear down as the load transfer is greater on them and uneven, due to incorrect meshing. I have had this happen to me and the only answer is to upgrade to the metal set which is machine 100% better. Pete/Karl at Answer-RC are the main Caster agents. Any other probs or questions regarding the caster, you can PM me and I will be more than happy to help. Let me know what you find.

Paul