PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Scoreboard for National Events

CharlieF
23-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Guys.
Did anyone notice the electronic scoreboard at Kidderminster National? The Section borrowed that to see if such equipment would be an enhancement for our National Series and End of Season events. As it is quite an expensive item we would like some idea if drivers/spectators thought it was worth having.
What did you think - should we get one of our own?
Regards.

Kopite
23-04-2008, 01:16 PM
i thought it was spot on, thumbs up!!

was it expensive? I can't say whether it was worth the money or not, only that it did make the spectator side of things far better!!

Lee
23-04-2008, 01:19 PM
It`s definatley a positive for the spectators, and its nice to be able to see what heat is on etc.

As stan says its hard to say if its worth the cash without knowing how much it costs.

I think it just takes the "arena" to another level :thumbsup:

stegger
23-04-2008, 01:22 PM
What do they cost ? Who makes them ? I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge on this site one could be made:)

Lee
23-04-2008, 01:25 PM
i think a couple of grand steve, i may be way off with that though.

CharlieF
23-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Not 100% on cost but around 1K and made by a company formed by a racer to manufacture electronic scoreboards I understand.

stegger
23-04-2008, 01:36 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

jimmy
23-04-2008, 01:38 PM
For Kidderminster it was pretty good - but for other events where you might get a lot more 'public' spectators it would be even better. I'm talking about Nationals like Batley (not this year, duh) or Southport etc
I think the racing can be pretty hard to understand for many people - I know when I saw my first race in 1988 / 89 or so at RAF cosford, (rrci?) I didn't really know what the chuff was going on.

Kopite
23-04-2008, 02:04 PM
yeah, defo a MUST for Southport, with the amount of people walking past the track all the time (and a fair few MILFs i must add).

c0sie
23-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Seen and used em before in 10th TC Nationals *the shame*
Brilliant bits of kit for drivers and spectators.

andy05
23-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I thought it was great to. Especialy right at the end of a run to see if someone was going to get through for that extra lap or not:thumbsup:

Andrew Simpson
23-04-2008, 04:44 PM
i liked the way i says the start order just before the heats start, but why does it not say the order any more than 30 sec before the start??

Mossy
23-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Made Ref'ing alot easier I must admit.

dan_kitty
23-04-2008, 04:55 PM
made watching races easier in my opinion, and usefull when racing...thumbs up.

Belsten
23-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I popped along just to have a look and thought it was spot on, alot easier to see who was doing what

ryan
23-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I thought it was excellant, made it really easy top view the race order when spectating. A must have for the following nationals!!

Gaz_Stanton
23-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Very good bit of kit. Great for spectators and very useful for racers. We do need to be careful of placement though. I know i crashed once while trying to use it too much during the race to see whether the guy behind me had caught me on the stagger.
Definitely better on Sunday when it wasn't in the periphiral (sp?) vision quite so much. :thumbsup:

Chrislong
23-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Charlie,
Was impressed with it. I liked being able to see the start order before the heat, and I hold my hands up to glancing at it as I finished to see the finishing position although that information dissapears too quickly - so I was looking at it while my car was at full throttle.... ooops...

Can't seem to think of any negatives in terms of purpose, it was ace. :thumbsup:

The question may be, can it be transported easily to other nationals? It looks too big to fit anyones car without a trailer, and dragging a trailer is a bind...

Kecky
23-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't think they are that hard to move around.....
The one they have at Wrexham outdoor track, gets moved indoors for the indoor track depending on if they are racing indoors or outdoors.

Maybe sponsorship from a shop or company could pay for it?????????

ashleyb4
23-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I agree with chris it looks tobe an ace feature i havebt seen it in person but looking at it on jimmys pictures i really like the idea but again transport is a problem.

A

PaulRotheram
23-04-2008, 05:59 PM
100% backing the idea to have one for all the meetings, It made it so much easier to keep track on what was going on, what heat was on, where I was starting and where I finished up.

I'd really like to see this come in to action :thumbsup:

ben
23-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Im sure it folds up? And yes it was a really useful piece of kit. Definatley buy one :lol::drool:. Will it be making an appearance at ozfest charlie?

ben

bigred5765
23-04-2008, 06:11 PM
awesome idea, may be of more use around the pit area
as most people cant hear see whats going on
and the wifi link is useless as of late

super__dan
23-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I liked it a lot too.

ben
23-04-2008, 06:50 PM
awesome idea, may be of more use around the pit area
as most people cant hear see whats going on
and the wifi link is useless as of late

tbh carl you were pitting at the far end of the field though;)

MattW
23-04-2008, 08:51 PM
In fairness the WiFi link was nothing special to my tent - and i wasn't down in the other field. On saturday, it worked most of the time, on sunday, i don't think it picked anything up until mid afternoon.

Scoreboard is a nice idea, i like it. Has been used at many on road meetings for some time. I don't find it of any use while i'm driving though, have no intention of looking at that rather than my car!

Chrislong
23-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I was on the near side of the toilet block and Wifi connection was not great.

Although I don't treat it as an essential, but a luxury to have when it does work. While it isn't working I just wind Dan up with some cack music or playing the same film over and over again.... :lol:

CharlieF
24-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi All.
Thanks for all the feedback, looks a strong positive. As to transport, we are investigating minimising this possible difficulty. I will pass on your views to the committee.
Thanks again.
Regards

telboy
24-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I thought it was a great idea too.To see what heat was all I had to do was pop my head around the hedge,rather than having walk all the way down to the track. Plus as most have said, seeing start orders was good too.:thumbsup: Must say though, I didn't try and look at it when I was racing.:lol:

Surely it would be worth it. West london on road use two of them at each end of the track so everyone can see. So if a normal club can afford two then surely the brca can splash out for one.:):thumbsup:

Pretty sure it folds up too doesn't it?

Jamie B4
24-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Thought it was a definate positive thumbs up from me, made everything so much easier in every aspect refreeing, marshalling, racing. Thought it was spot on in that you could see the front runners where usually if you miss the start of a race - you tend to look at a potential quick car but in top heats this is more difficult. Well worth the investment as the cost could be split over the rounds of nationals

_sleigh_
24-04-2008, 09:26 AM
In fairness the WiFi link was nothing special to my tent - and i wasn't down in the other field. On saturday, it worked most of the time, on sunday, i don't think it picked anything up until mid afternoon.

Scoreboard is a nice idea, i like it. Has been used at many on road meetings for some time. I don't find it of any use while i'm driving though, have no intention of looking at that rather than my car!

I was on the near side of the toilet block and Wifi connection was not great.

Although I don't treat it as an essential, but a luxury to have when it does work. While it isn't working I just wind Dan up with some cack music or playing the same film over and over again.... :lol:

We understand the WiFi connection is not always great. With the layout of most tracks the coverage can be difficult, as the pitting normally stretches off in one directly rather than everyone being around the track perimeter and therefore closer to race control.

The committee did look at purchasing a new WiFi Access Point with a high gain external aerial, however after a short discussion with Rob@BBK it was indicated that software updates may be on the way and it might change the way things were distributed across the network. His advise was not hold back on purchasing new equipment for the short term.

We did however run a slightly different WiFi AP at Kiddy, as the previous unit had seen far too many wet meetings and it was felt a temporary replacement was needed.

Ways to improve the coverage were discussion late on Sunday afternoon and a solution will be tested at Oswestry. :thumbsup: Hopefully this will allow the majority of you access to the realtime timing.

trekkerkk
24-04-2008, 10:25 AM
thanks for the info phil about the wifi,

trekkker

Slimboyfat
24-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I thought it was great especially if you were a spectator. A definate positive investment for the 1/10th off road section if purchased!