PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted

BenG
12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi, you may or may not know I am designing and building a competition 4wd buggy, which is to be sold to the public. I need people who may have made cars previously, or anyone who is interested in helping with machining or CAD drawings, or who have some radical ideas

thanks

Ben

Northy
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
You have pm.

BenG
12-09-2006, 08:48 PM
as do you matey

bert digler
12-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi, you may or may not know I am designing and building a competition 4wd buggy, which is to be sold to the public. I need people who may have made cars previously, or anyone who is interested in helping with machining or CAD drawings, or who have some radical ideas

thanks

Ben
you gotta go belt drive motor up front cells behind aka losi xx4 i dont think shaft will handle the new brushless there just too bloody powerful fink yokomo style tranny with xx4 geomtry is the way forward

OldTimer
12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
you gotta go belt drive motor up front cells behind aka losi xx4 i dont think shaft will handle the new brushless there just too bloody powerful fink yokomo style tranny with xx4 geomtry is the way forward

To be honest i think the other way around that shaft would be better at taking the extra power from a brushless motor. A lot does come down to the slipper, this is what makes or brakes the transmission.

bert digler
12-09-2006, 09:31 PM
To be honest i think the other way around that shaft would be better at taking the extra power from a brushless motor. A lot does come down to the slipper, this is what makes or brakes the transmission.

only if you use steel gears and turning power through 90degrees is a huge power loss when your dealing with so little torque the belt is smoother and you can get away with skipping for a race at least.also with the belt you get rid of the problem of torque steer i think thats why the touring car guys have gone pretty much belt drive i konow with shaft you get more positive acceleration but that aint always beneficial. shaft drive cars always jump on the piss and this costs time.if you gonna build a car balance is the key and u just cant balance a shaft drive.to quote a famous engineer u canna change the laws of physics and its true.personally i like the concept of shaft drive but it dont work as well as a belt in a rc car,it works a great in a rally car but it has an engine central up front u can cope with that.but offset in the middle just dont work:o

OldTimer
13-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Not everything from full scale cars translates to 1/10 cars of course, and we have found zero problem with torque steer, and it jumps straight as well ;) oh
and the world champs was won by a shaft car.

Both designs have good and bad points, and i am sure we will see with more power on tap next year, one design perhaps coming more popular like in TC ?.

Chris Doughty
13-09-2006, 08:03 AM

so hanging the motor out on the side is the way forward?

BenG
13-09-2006, 09:20 AM
I'll try that, thanks;)

jimmy
13-09-2006, 10:48 AM
"shaft drive cars always jump on the piss and this costs time."

:D jumping on the piss ? lol

I can see the motor in a shaft tourer being able to upset the finely balanced car costing 1/100th of a second which is enough with those things, but buggys are being upset by bumps and jumps constantly anyway.