PDA

View Full Version : Fugly!!!

Lee
26-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Have the F1 cars suddenly got really ugly like dumbo wings and the tails off the air intakes above the drivers heads:thumbdown:

rcluke
26-04-2008, 12:51 PM
f1 is crappy nowadays, bring back the no driver aids, no laptops to tune the settings and ban all the stupid little downforce things, apart from the front and rear wing.

like the Jordan 191

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/688-1.jpg

or the 1970 Tyrrell 001
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/1034-7.jpg

and a no nosense steering wheel
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/1034-10.jpg

antnee
27-04-2008, 10:54 AM
erm.. they are next year:) no more little stupid aero bits everywhere, smaller rear wings too

rcluke
27-04-2008, 12:02 PM
they will still be controlled by laptops though ... makes them crap

hamilton today, moaning about the ground clearance being wrong by 1mm ... get a grip, just drive the bloody car

Michael.
27-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe you're watching the wrong sport?
BTCC sounds more like what you want

RogerM
27-04-2008, 12:49 PM

hamilton today, moaning about the ground clearance being wrong by 1mm ... get a grip, just drive the bloody car

I think you should get a grip ....... 1mm makes a huge difference to those cars ..... also to our cars!

As for engines being tuned / checked by laptops what do you want them to do ... go back to carbs and a mechanical ignition advance? :confused:

My 89 Mini runs fully mapped, as does the better halfs (ok that's a 2000 and left the factory like that) and my 65 pickup will too

I think what you want to watch is classic racing .... or get Dr Who to take you back to the 60s / 70s where both your racing and points of view are valid

:thumbdown::mad:

Michael.
27-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Also, what do you mean 'controlled by laptops'

I don't think you seem to understand that the computers are used to relay information to the mechanics, who can adjust things like downforce manually in the pits (you sometimes see them with a screwdrivery thing)

Some things on the car can be adjusted on the move by the driver, from the steering wheel, but I hardly think that makes the cars 'controlled by laptops'

The drivers are there for a reason, other than to bring the car up to the weight limit

glypo
27-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah why do people attack F1? People say the cars drive themselves, but when they removed traction control this year..... has anyone struggled without it? No. Simply because they are the best drivers in those cars. Give them some respect, the are in control of the car and not a computer.

As for ugly, F1 cars have always been ugly in my eyes. It's all about function rather then looks. When you were a kid, did you have a F1 car poster on the wall, or a Lambo/Ferrari/etc road car? I know I has a Countach on mine, so in my eyes I have never seen beauty in F1 cars, but I still respect/admire the looks for their functionality.

p.s. very funny comments at end of your post Roger :D

rcluke
27-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I think you should get a grip ....... 1mm makes a huge difference to those cars ..... also to our cars!

As for engines being tuned / checked by laptops what do you want them to do ... go back to carbs and a mechanical ignition advance? :confused:

My 89 Mini runs fully mapped, as does the better halfs (ok that's a 2000 and left the factory like that) and my 65 pickup will too

I think what you want to watch is classic racing .... or get Dr Who to take you back to the 60s / 70s where both your racing and points of view are valid

:thumbdown::mad:

CHILL OUT MAN !!!

the racing is boring, all i was saying is it would be more interesting if they removed all driver aids, and the drivers couldnt adjust the settings from the steering wheel etc.
as for the launch control, why bother? they might as well drive properly, from a standing start, with cold tyres, spin them off the line and warm them up.

rcluke
27-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Also, what do you mean 'controlled by laptops'

I don't think you seem to understand that the computers are used to relay information to the mechanics, who can adjust things like downforce manually in the pits (you sometimes see them with a screwdrivery thing)

Some things on the car can be adjusted on the move by the driver, from the steering wheel, but I hardly think that makes the cars 'controlled by laptops'

The drivers are there for a reason, other than to bring the car up to the weight limit

i was only saying that, the cars should be like the older ones, and the drivers should give feedback to make the car better, not computers.

CAClark
27-04-2008, 03:14 PM
It might be last years car, but it was not in anyway ugly (though I conced the new 'ears' on the latest Honda are not much to look at )

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/9122/9122_1181588456_large.jpg

Cheers!

rcluke
27-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah why do people attack F1? People say the cars drive themselves, but when they removed traction control this year..... has anyone struggled without it? No. Simply because they are the best drivers in those cars. Give them some respect, the are in control of the car and not a computer.

As for ugly, F1 cars have always been ugly in my eyes. It's all about function rather then looks. When you were a kid, did you have a F1 car poster on the wall, or a Lambo/Ferrari/etc road car? I know I has a Countach on mine, so in my eyes I have never seen beauty in F1 cars, but I still respect/admire the looks for their functionality.

p.s. very funny comments at end of your post Roger :D

the drivers are good, but not the best.

D1 drivers or WRC drivers are better, they need more skill to slide between corners.
to go 200mph+ on tarmac with soft compound tyres is easy, to do it on mud or loose gravel is bloody hard, my respect goes to WRC drivers, not F1 drivers.

i have been in a countach :D

the touring cars BTCC and DTM and rally cars WRC JWRC PWRC look better than f1 cars ... anyday

ryan
27-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Its a big Pred X10! :thumbsup:

Lee
27-04-2008, 04:45 PM
You cant compare WRC and F1 drivers they couldn`t switch classes and do well its just not possible they are totall different disciplines:thumbdown:

Why do you think Mclaren ar struggling this year, do you think its because the PC link from the car to the laptop broke or do you think the drivers are lacking in experience and struggling to tell the engineers exactly what is happening with the car.

The telemetry can give the engineers reams and reams of data but it cannot tell the engineer what the driver requires, that comes with experience and talent, neither of which can be bought from PC world:thumbsup:

rcluke
27-04-2008, 05:22 PM
i agree with everything you said there Lee.

lol a broken usb cable :woot:

i think hamilton has lost the urge, he was really trying last season to be the champion 'new boy', but now he is in his second season, and they started bad, he is loosing the urge to beat ferrari.

Lee
27-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I dont think he has lost the urge, i think he has lost alonso who brought a lot to the team as in experience and set up knowledge.

glypo
27-04-2008, 05:44 PM
That's complete nonsense. McLaren are ""struggling"" because they stole Ferrari documents and had to remove one or a number of systems that were designed for their new chassis (based on Ferrari data) and replaced them with the old systems. So a mixture of old systems the new chassis wasn't designed for. And maybe I was watching a different race today to you, and the one you watched had McLaren struggling?

As by my count finishing as the second best constructor (beating 9 other teams) and finishing 3rd (ahead of 19 other drivers) isn't struggling.... Not to mention Lewis is 2nd in the drivers championship, you can't do that in a struggling team.

It's true to say that McLaren drivers has less experience then some of the other teams. But firstly you can't forget the test drivers (de la Rosa and Paffett) are there as well giving valuable setup. Also unsurprisingly F1 isn't the first racing class you enter, they have had to rise up the ranks in other classes where they learn a lot about setup. So yes, less experience, but certainly not inexperienced. They have plenty for what they need.

PaulRotheram
27-04-2008, 05:55 PM
the drivers are good, but not the best.

D1 drivers or WRC drivers are better, they need more skill to slide between corners.
to go 200mph+ on tarmac with soft compound tyres is easy, to do it on mud or loose gravel is bloody hard, my respect goes to WRC drivers, not F1 drivers.

i have been in a countach :D

the touring cars BTCC and DTM and rally cars WRC JWRC PWRC look better than f1 cars ... anyday

It is really easy saying to do 200mph on tarmac with soft compound tyres is easy without doing it your self. the f1 drivers put their life in their hands each time their on the track, it looks easy because they actually are the best.

look at any profesional sport, even ours, look at the A mainers at how easy they make it look - you go try be that fast and see how close you come! :)

rcluke
27-04-2008, 05:59 PM
LMAO

i just saw the highlights of the race on the news, kovelinen had a bit of a 'fender bender' at 150mph :woot:

thats him loosing some confidence

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:00 PM
It is really easy saying to do 200mph on tarmac with soft compound tyres is easy without doing it your self. the f1 drivers put their life in their hands each time their on the track, it looks easy because they actually are the best.

look at any profesional sport, even ours, look at the A mainers at how easy they make it look - you go try be that fast and see how close you come! :)

i didnt mean it was actually easy, i meant it is easier than doing it on loose gravel

telboy
27-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Have you ever done 200+ on tarmac on soft compound tyre?
I doubt it. I think you will find that its not just about doing 200mph on a flat track. The forces these drivers have to put up with are rediculous.

And you can't realy say that rally drivers and D1 drivers are better than F1 drivers. they are all THE BEST drivers at their chosen sport.
Put a rally driver in an F1 car and they will not be as fast as an F1 driver and vice versa, an F1 wouldn't be as fast as the rally driver in the rally car. I doubt the D1 drivers would do well in either really, as they don't have to be as physically fit as the rally or F1 drivers...and judging by some of the D1 I've seen on eurosport/motors, half of them can't control their own cars never mind anyone elses.

Did you not see the top gear where the hammond had a go in the F1 renault? He 'thought' he was going fast, but he wsn't even warming the tyres up! And I'd say he was reasonable at throwing a 'normal' car round sideways etc........just can't drive one in straight line!!:woot:

Sorry Mr Luke, but you've left yourself open for some hastle with these comments.:D:thumbsup:

As for the jordan, I think that has to be the best looking F1 car for years!
Can't wait for next year when they get rid of all the wings and go back to slicks.

ryan_93
27-04-2008, 06:10 PM
i thing wrc is much better and more skillfull, i mean look at todays wrc in jordan drivin on a cliff one mistake and your going down the cliff on f1 you go into the gravel and get stuck

telboy
27-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Agreed, rally drivers have got balls of steel.
F1 has gone a bit soft recently, but its all to do with saftey though. They can't have drivers dieing every time they crash realy can they?

Luke, as for hamilton not wanting to beat ferrari...I wouldn't say he's lost his urge, struggling would be more like it. I wouldn't say winning the first race was starting bad either.
But we now know that it was mainly down to the braking system that was too similar to ferrari's.:lol:

But for a rookie in his first year last year, he did an amazing job wether he was in a mclaren or not! So I didn't blame him for wanting to have that sort of impact on the sport. I'm sure we all would love to do that well in our first year of top level RC.

And its nice to see that someone having a 150mph crash seems to be hilarious to you.

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:20 PM
this should be a poll, there seems to be a straight split between us, some of us prefer wrc and some prefer f1

telboy,

which manufacturer's slicks are they gonna use?

i say bring back the Avon ones :thumbsup:

i like the white lettering

http://www.avonracing.com/images/home_page/goldTyres.jpg

i think they should remove the aerodynamic wheel trims, i like spokes

telboy
27-04-2008, 06:22 PM
???
Do you actually watch F1?

Bridgestone are the only manufacturer of tyres in F1.....therefore.............:confused:

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Agreed, rally drivers have got balls of steel.
F1 has gone a bit soft recently, but its all to do with saftey though. They can't have drivers dieing every time they crash realy can they?

Luke, as for hamilton not wanting to beat ferrari...I wouldn't say he's lost his urge, struggling would be more like it. I wouldn't say winning the first race was starting bad either.
But we now know that it was mainly down to the braking system that was too similar to ferrari's.:lol:

But for a rookie in his first year last year, he did an amazing job wether he was in a mclaren or not! So I didn't blame him for wanting to have that sort of impact on the sport. I'm sure we all would love to do that well in our first year of top level RC.

And its nice to see that someone having a 150mph crash seems to be hilarious to you.

i agree, he was immense last year.

he only broke his collar bone, or shoulder or something. Them cars must have a 5* NCAP rating :D

from 150mph - 0 in a few seconds, and only got a rugby playing injury.

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:26 PM
???
Do you actually watch F1?

Bridgestone are the only manufacturer of tyres in F1.....therefore.............:confused:

i know, but i think they should all use avon's.

are they gonna use a soft and hard compound, or just one?

i can see this being fun in the wet

telboy
27-04-2008, 06:32 PM
? wets?

don't think they'll run slick in rain.:rolleyes:

RCbob
27-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Luke you may have a fit mum but that does not mean you can be a cock:thumbdown:

The thread was about how ugly f1 cas have got, not about who is the best driver.

Bloody monkey hangers:thumbdown:

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:43 PM
? wets?

don't think they'll run slick in rain.:rolleyes:

shame that lol, it would be a good laugh

rcluke
27-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Luke you may have a fit mum but that does not mean you can be a cock:thumbdown:

The thread was about how ugly f1 cas have got, not about who is the best driver.

Bloody monkey hangers:thumbdown:

ok calm down.

back to topic.

f1 cars look ugly, but they have some nice paintjobs, chrome, earth print etc

telboy
27-04-2008, 07:01 PM
That earth car of honda had to be THE ugliest paint job ever to cover an F1 car.

An old murray walker saying is 'If it looks fast, its going to be fast!'
...that honda never even looked medium paced with that paint job on it!

:wtf:

rcluke
27-04-2008, 07:12 PM
That earth car of honda had to be THE ugliest paint job ever to cover an F1 car.

An old murray walker saying is 'If it looks fast, its going to be fast!'
...that honda never even looked medium paced with that paint job on it!

:wtf:

have you ever seen the honda car in 'person' ?

rcluke
27-04-2008, 07:14 PM
i think the nicest paintjobs on f1 cars are the old ones advertising fags, like the camel, jps marlbrough etc

erkan
27-04-2008, 08:22 PM
just look at race of champions.. a DTM driver from where?? SWEDEN won 2 years in a row.. beat shumacher this year and loeb last year.. :thumbsup:

Richard Lowe
27-04-2008, 08:36 PM
from 150mph - 0 in a few seconds
More like a few feet, less than half a second I bet :o

rcluke
27-04-2008, 08:47 PM
just look at race of champions.. a DTM driver from where?? SWEDEN won 2 years in a row.. beat shumacher this year and loeb last year.. :thumbsup:

i used to watch DTM regularly.

which driver won the race of champions?

i saw the cars from there at the autosport international car show

rcluke
27-04-2008, 08:50 PM
ah. Ekstrom

the first shell i had, with my *cough*TT-01*cough*

i loved that shell, i might get another one

http://www.autosport.hr/news/12/01audv.jpg

vader
27-04-2008, 08:51 PM
i used to watch DTM regularly.

which driver won the race of champions?

i saw the cars from there at the autosport international car show

Google is your friend, try using the search function :thumbsup:

rcluke
27-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Google is your friend, try using the search function :thumbsup:

i did, in the post before yours

Kev B
27-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Watched the F1 today and looks like all the Commentators have picked up the "Schumacher Syndrome" towards Hamilton. When they are winning they are the best in the world but losing and itís the cars not good enough! Yes Mclaren must struggle with the budget they have. Maybe he just is not as good as the others! If he couldnít find the sweet spot on the car but everyone around you can your not as talented. Weather thatís driving or feedback to the engineers! Have to say on the start of the topic though bring back the red/white Mclaren, Rothmans williams or the yellow Jordans with the snake, They were good paint jobs!.

Tom3012
27-04-2008, 10:20 PM
such a funny conversation... WRC drivers do have balls to drive on the edge of a cliff...BUT F1 drivers drive at almost 200mph on a track with solid concrete walls.... think id rather role down a cliff at 60mph than hit a concrete wall at 200..... :bored:

oh and yeah, the hammond in the renault F1 car, he's not a bad driver, and like was said, he couldnt even keep the tyres warm and that was with all the drivig aids....

ryan_93
28-04-2008, 07:16 AM
rally drivers go faster than 60 mph

Lee
28-04-2008, 07:23 AM
not barrel rolling down a cliff they dont :lol:

telboy
28-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Off topic- I think that the to youngsters at mclaren are suffering, and as much as I don't like Alonso, I think he may have had a lot to do with Hamiltons set ups last year. And now they haven't got that input they seem a bit lost.

On topic- The red and white mclarens must have struck fear into all he other F1 drivers, especially in '88 when they won all but one race....and that was only because Enzo Ferrari used his heavenly powers after he died, to put Schlessers williams into the side of senna's mclaren, so that ferrari could have a one-two in italy!:lol:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S9HU9-QHIYM

These are my fave looking F1 cars-
http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/f1pictures/gugelmin89marchspa-1.JPG

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/f1/images_benetton/a_benetton_b189_12.jpg

http://www.f1journal.com/photos/ratz_05.jpg
RIP roland the ratzenburger..

http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/f1pictures/johansson89onyxspa.JPG

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/233029/Ferrari%20412_T1_1994.jpg

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/958

Cool