PDA

View Full Version : Newbie setup help.

benl
13-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Hello Chaps,
I was wondering if I could make use of your vast pool of knowlege!
I am hoping to start racing at Titchfield on Sunday, which I belive is astro.
I would like some pointers on how best to set up my car if possible.
Its a B4 standard length chassis.
Hobbywing XErun 120A 2.1 (I have the program box but not updated any firmware)
LRP X11 8.5
I have blue spring on the front and silver on the back
I also have one set of Minispike yellows or BB Greens for the rear and Minispike yellows for the front or cut staggers yellow slim (not low profile)
Also running stickpacks 1 x Turnigy 2s 5200 30/40or trackpower 3600 30c.
Just after which tyres to use and which oil weights etc.
And do I need inserts etc.
And which settings to use on the ESC etc.
Sorry I am completly new to this as its my first car since my old grasshopper 25 years ago :)

Thanks chaps
Ben

Maxbashing
13-06-2012, 07:26 PM
HI Ben,

I don't claim to be any sort of expert infact I'm pretty much a Newb too. Just one bit of advice from what I have recently experienced.

I would be careful trying to set the car up using two different types of battery. The weight difference makes loads of difference to the handling and you can think you have a nice balanc:woot:e and then you swap batteries and it's all gone.:thumbdown:

hotrodchris
13-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Tyre choice Cut staggers front (Insert or not is personel choice), rear BB Greens if wet and Schu Yellows if dry, as to esc set up some like a bit of drag brake on a 2wd some not easier to adjust on the day a bit of trial and error on the day, but would set the punch to 3 or 4 and switch boost and timing off if it is your first time out!
But there will be plenty of help from anyone track side don't be afraid to ask as we are a friendly bunch, look forward to seeing you on Sunday:thumbsup:

benl
13-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks chaps.
Thought the batterys may be an issue but They were used and cheap,
I have kind of run out of money now so a nice matching set and decent charger will have to wait...although they are next on my list....
and a transponder.....
and a new body shell.....
Oh dear will one of you please break the news to
my wife:bored:

Thanks for the tips and help at all is more than appreciated.
Really looking forwards to sunday going to have to get the kids up at 6 to do fathers day stuff though, then I am out all day:thumbsup:

Maxbashing
13-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Just a thought but you could consider weighing the two batteries, find the difference in weight and them compensate by adding some cheap stick on weights to the lighter battery. You can get little stick on weights from any decent model shop that sells rc planes. They are pretty cheap and come in a variety of sizes.

In terms of the wife you just need to make sure she gets a good hobby which you can use to balance it all out just be careful as my girlfriend now owns 2 horses:thumbsup:

benl
13-06-2012, 08:39 PM
My wifes got a Horse and a pony!!! plus 2 dogs 2 cats and 3 kids!!
I'm in the pecking order somewhere but I think it may be quite a long way down :)
I keep looking at the field we rent for the horses and wondering how hard it would be to put a track in a corner of it. :drool:

BeachBuggyPhil
13-06-2012, 09:47 PM
35wt oil front, 25 wt rear. Inside hole on rear shock tower, move front in if you feel it needs it, start on middle. Keep the front a bit firm, about 24mm ride height. Long wheel base if grippy, short if slippery.
Have fun.
It's mostly about tyres.
:)

benl
13-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks dude
I'm off to do some shock bleeding now shh dont wake the kids!!

lardy37
13-06-2012, 11:00 PM
yes agree with all other coments and good idea to try and weigh batterys and if no model shops local try a tyre centre for sticky weights you will need them to add to front end, run the staggers on front you will only need spikes if wet same on rear schumacher in dry bb in wet and medium inserts, 30/35 wt oil in front and slightly softer rear,also adjust slipper clutch at track so it pulls away nice and quick with minimal lift to front end and you might find blue front springs a bit hard silver all round normaly works well :thumbsup:

benl
14-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks chaps,
It's all really great advice exactally what I was hopeing for.
I'm on the case for some lead weights at the moment and now just need to switch some tyres around.

Thanks again
ben