PDA

View Full Version : Li-po batteries (yes or no)

codieskid
12-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Just been reading about Lipo batteries here: http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Batteries/Lipo

Has anyone ever used any of these, if so are they any good and what are the advantages/disadvantges. They sound pretty good but will they fit in a zx-5 and what modifications would need to be made to get them to fit?

so are they lipo, go go or a lipo, no no? (sorry that was terrible)

Cheers

Trev

lanidrac57
25-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Trev,

I have tried a Maxamps 6000 mha in my ZX-5 for one of the last race we had here during summer. Man, i can cant wait for the winter season to start. Its simply awesome. I did 3 x 5 min practice + first qualification. Then charged the Lipo pack again (took 25 min) and did 2 more qual + final. Had the same punch in the end of the final and i even did more practice after race day and never saw the power go down. I run that with a Brushless 6.5. I ordered a 4000 mha for my B4 and i will get rid of my 10 nimh pack and only use 2 lipo pack. I only needed to do really minor modification to the car since the 6000mha is a bit thicker than normal pack.

What i like: Only need to charge once during day, cause i first charged the pack the night before race day(Keeps is charge 100%), No need charge, discharge and manipulate 10 packs, More Punch, More runtime, Lighter than normal pack so i can put lead weigth in the car where i want for getting the car balanced,

What i dont like: Sor far... nothing. I heard that i will have to buy a balancer (around 50$) do balance the pack every 25 charge to keep it in good shape. So what, i dont have 10 packs at 60$ each. An the other thing have to be carefull not to bring the pack under 6v or it will be dead.

So i guess thats it... sorry my english is not really good..so i tried my best.

Eric

stefke
28-09-2006, 12:51 PM
As long as they sometimes burst into flames rather violently, I'm staying away from LiPo. To fragile and dangerous for me. Ask the RC flying boys who have more experience with LiPo.

jimmy
28-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I do wonder how much the risks are hyped up. But after seeing normal cells (particularly 4200's) blow in very dramatic ways, I am cautious around those now myself - could easily get blinded or lose a finger or something crazy like that. :eek:

stefke
28-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I saw two blow up at the local flying field and I can tell you, I never saw any sub-c cell blow up so violently. One took an entire airplane with it, the other even put the surrounding grass on fire. NOT a pretty sight.

_sleigh_
28-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Safety is suppose to be a big issue with LiPo's and also they're not on the BRCA Electric board approved list, so can't be used at BRCA Sanctioned meetings.

I'm not sure how BRCA insurance is effected either, say if you use LiPo's at a club meeting and they go bang and hurt someone. I'll investigate that one and post more when I know. (might be nothing, but worth checking)

bigred5765
28-09-2006, 02:08 PM
i would like to use them but until some firm will guarantee, that its not going to blew up my car I'm staying away, just have to look at what happened to my f5e electric flight, it blew up in the air and before it hit the floor it was gone and i mean gone, a black tangled mess of plastic and wire £500 worth to

DCM
28-09-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't think any company will 'garauntee' their cell, whether it is a NiMH cylinder cell or a LiPol gel battery. But like Phil says, you may be in a rather grey area when it comes to liability and coverage when it comes to LiPo as it isn't a sanctioned cell.

I think Team Orion/Kokam are on the right lines, encasing the cells in a protective box. But, with any cell, the more energy you store in a confined space, the more 'explosive' when it goes wrong.

felixjo
29-09-2006, 12:35 PM
As long as you don't charge/discharge LiPos too long/fast it shouldn't happen too often.. ;)

Another option would probably be using other Li (Ion or Mangan) cells which are safer. These are usually more like the NiMh cells when it comes to encasing.
So far these didn't have the same energy and power density as LiPos but the new A123 cells seem to be quite capable.
First reviews can be found in various forums...

ramblinman
18-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, i just found this thread and thought you guys might be interested. This is also my first post so Hi everyone! Ive been lurking around this forum for a while now and it seems really awesome...even though i live in Australia and will never get to race with you guys.

Anyway back to the lipos....i found this lipo (or more correctly li-mn) and i think it could be a pretty good fit! Its made by apogee batteries and its 7.4v 5800mAh using the Li-mn technology so its much safer. Only possible downside is that it is slightly heavier that its poly brother, im not sure but i think it will still be lighter than nimh cells.

http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/shop/item.asp?itemid=230&catid=57

codieskid
18-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi ramblinman and welcome, good to have you aboard

It also looks like Team orion have launched a new carbon addition of thier lypo cells and LRP are to due to launch some very soon as they are featured in thier 2007 brochure.

http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Batteries/Lipo

ramblinman
19-10-2006, 05:21 AM
thanks for the warm welcom mate. Im looking at getting a 4wd buggy as soon as i find the right one for me...i really like the zx5 but want to see what the new trf and hotbodies ones are going to look like. Damn i dont feel like waiting! Hahaha, anyway back to lipos, im really excited about what they are going to do to electric racing, they will revolutionise it i think. Everything will just be able to run longer and less hassles with cell care. :D

codieskid
19-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Shame i just sold my zx5, they are brilliant buggies and great value

stefke
19-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I've also just sold my ZX5. Indeed they can be great buggies, but I dare to question the great value. By the time you've installed the absolutely necessary hopups to make them reliable and up to standard with the competition, they're not so great value anymore.
Also I you drive a lot on high grip tracks (carpet, astroturf), I found the drivetrain weak and unreliable. I blew 4 bevel gears in two months despite rather tight shimming of the gearmesh ! :o And I was not the only one with this problem. There's a reason why so many ZX5's are on the second marked right now.

It's sold now and it's going to be replaced by a TRF501, Yokomo BX or X-5. Haven't made up my mind yet but the TRF looks soooooooo good .