PDA

View Full Version : Metallic paint worth the extra?

millzy
29-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Im buying new car and would like some feedback on weather or not its worth me having it in a metallic colour and paying £360.00 extra?

Colours are

std:
Red

Metallic :
Zenith grey
Dolphin Grey
Black
Silver

Car is a Seat Leon

Lee
29-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes,

£360 isn`t bad mate some charge a lot more :thumbsup:

DCM
29-04-2008, 03:57 PM
it is onlt a colour, and a lot more difficuly to match up in case of a scratch/dent plus it has a lacquer coat. Save the cast or put it into something that will make the car nicer to own.

RLGfx
29-04-2008, 04:11 PM
save it... and save up for a short while after, then go for a nice pink respray... :thumbsup:

bigred5765
29-04-2008, 04:22 PM
nissan already do pink cars

millzy
29-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah i asked about pink, dealer looked at me gone off.

wanted it white so DCM could spray somthing over it :):) but whites not an option.

Ive got it with the spec i want and any thing esle isnt available so the paint is the last thing.

Car i test drove came in dolphine Grey, looked nice but i got told it looked dull by the people who came with me

DCM
29-04-2008, 04:35 PM
crono yellow would look good!

Spoolio
29-04-2008, 04:39 PM
At the end of the day its down to you. Do you like it in a flat colour or do you think it looks better in any of the available metallic shades?

However, you may want to ponder the following points:

1. You (probably) can't see it from the inside anyway.
2. Modern paint techniques take away much of the worry of matching (unless the sprayer is cack-handed but thats another thing entirely).
3. Second-hand it may make the car easier to sell, although not necessarily worth more (or less). Currently Glass' guide puts a £200 premium on a 55 plate Leon with metallic.

Finally, I have to agree, White is a nice idea as it is now relatively rare compared to the 70's and 80's when it was done to death much like silver is now (triple white XR3 cabrio anyone?).

GRIFF55
29-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Go for the tdi fr, you can get that baby in white!!
Most modern straight colour cars now are laquered anyhow, so gone are the days of fading reds etc. Nice cars the leon, the colour is all down to personal preference. Have the touring car kit put on the red one, they look sweeeet:thumbsup:

losixxx
29-04-2008, 05:21 PM
this must be what griff thinks is a top car then:lol:

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28790&highlight=seat+leon

daz
29-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I used to be a sprayer a few years back, and always wondered why mettalics cost more as all tinters are the same price to buy apart from the stupid candy flip designs. For which you had to put about 3 differnt base coats on to get the right contrast.

Still you cant beat a nice gloss red or white with about 5 coats of laquer on whats been well polished to death:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
29-04-2008, 05:34 PM
this must be what griff thinks is a top car then:lol:

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28790&highlight=seat+leon

You got the orange and white right:thumbsup:, always wanted to paint the top of the jeep pearl white but couldn't be bothered. Isn't that the interior that came std in your new car:lol:

losixxx
29-04-2008, 05:51 PM
m8 that is my car:o:woot:

Si G
29-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Chris,

If you really want metallic get them to give it to you for no extra charge, afterall when you trade-it in in 3 years time it will make it easier for them to sell on. (Then if you're feeling pushy ask for mats, flaps and full tank of fuel to seal the deal)

Si

ashleyb4
29-04-2008, 08:17 PM
My nextdoor neighbour has a 07 plate onein yellow that nice. But i would go for black with soem mean looking alloys :p

A

millzy
30-04-2008, 10:24 AM
My current car is a red fiesta and the bonnet is a completed different red to the car thanks to the sun and fords cheap paint from 1990, this has me worried that in 3-5 years time my seat with look like Jason potatoes hand after it was baked in the Capri TI

My vectra was in a metallic silver and I loved that, just looked right on the alloys and the interior trim with its chrome bits hear and there- very much like the Seat Leon( stylance version) but the Seat comes with tinted windows or privacy glass as they call it, and I’m wondering if this will look wrong on a sliver car.

Also the money saved choosing a standard colour would allow me to pay off the insurance for the year