PDA

View Full Version : Starting up, again.

ralphee
24-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Its been a long time, ive not raced competively in many years, and my last long stint was in TC.
Any of you offroad gurus, want to throw me a bone, and gibe me some gear recommendations on......

Chassis? Not too crazy, was thinking a Losi22 or B4, but i see a lot for sale, is that a bad thing? After something with good spares back up, and isnt made of cheese. Looking at 2wd though, ive never done it!

Brushless combo and class to suit what ill now call myself, a noob LOL.

Just getting my ducks in a row i guess for Frankley.

lee

Brewskie
24-06-2012, 07:57 AM
ive just got into racing myself an got a second hand B4, its one tough car as ive bashed it pretty bad while trying to home in my driving skills an the parts are very easy to get hold of an plenty of them too, i think most people that sell them are converting to mid motor on 2wd like the C4.1 an X6

ralphee
24-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah, i like AE, raced the TC3 and TC4 and found parts so easy to get. Was looking at the X6 too, nice, but then, i like the TRF......but its more about whats easy for me to drive/set up i guess!

lee

F1END
24-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Mid-motor is the way forward in the UK.

Most popular choices at the moment seem to be either a very expensive conversion, e.g. DB1, Centro, Vega, etc. for which you'll have to buy a 'donor' car and the conversion kit, or for less money a Durango DEX210, a Losi 22, or a Schumacher Cougar SV2. If you're on a budget, a second-hand Cougar SV would be a good start as they are quite cheap these days since the SV2 came out.

One good bit of advice is to see what others are racing at your local club. Makes life easier with set-up help and borrowing/buying of parts if you need them.

Spares-wise, if you are in the UK, Schumacher are probably the easiest spares to get hold of. TRF spares are quite hard to get hold of, which is 1 reason I've just sold my 511.

Electrics-wise a 7.5 or 8.5 motor will be plenty fast enough for a 2wd (There's no stock-class for buggy's these days), and whatever speedo and radio gear you are happiest with.

ralphee
24-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Cheers bud. Hmm, i think the DEX or 22 is on the cards then. Radio, yeah sorted for a Vantage II, cells, got two New LIPO's, was just mainly the brushless query too, as ive not raced since brushless hit the scene, cheers guys.
Oh ESC.....any brand i should stay away from, on a hobby level i had an EZrun in my TRF501, but id like something a little more race orientated this time around.

lee

Naushad
24-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I second a 22....get a weight kit installed!

ESC try LRP SXX,speed passion LPF or the latest orion r10. They all cost quite a bit, but the XERUN stuff is excellent value!

I'd go for 10.5T brushless motor.....depends on your track really but most ESC have turbo function to temporarily give you that extra boost when you need it (e.g. straights) so you shouldn't lose out.

TARTMAN
25-06-2012, 10:26 PM
i got back to it last year all after 22 yrs away.
got an SV and loved it, but seemed to break alot(prob my diving thou lol)
tried an X2c, nice car. then a B4.1,
settled on the losi 22...... hard as nails and handles great, mid motor for 90% of UK tracks....

was using a 7.5t motor and very quick in a 2wd, do not need lower/faster.
BUT

I have just started using a 10.5t GM motor and playing with turbo/timing etc, sooooo much smoother on the infield and loads of power on the staits. If your ex TC, you may want to go that route and play with the settings.... much more control..... I am converted now...

ESC, loads of choice, I am loving the orion R10 Pro, not cheap but awsome.
Have a hobbywing in my sx3 and thats a great speedo.... but loads of choice.....

the losi is a little tight on space so think about that when choosing electrics..... i use a full size 1258 servo and the R10 esc, micro spectrum x and all fits OK, well, tight, but fits........

just my 2 pennies worth............... welcome back............:thumbsup:

zoaman
25-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I MUST BE HONEST I AM THE WORST DRIVER ABOUT BUT I HAVE A B4 AND HAVE HIT IT FROM HOLE TO POLE HARD,,,VERY HARD,AND IT HAS JUST STUCK ON THE ROAD. SLIGHTLY PENDULUM ON THE REAR. AS SAID C4 OR X6.I HAVE A 6.5 EXCELLORIN IN MINE AND HAVENT TURNED IT OFF LOW SETTING AND ITS MILES TO FAST.SO FOR ME ID THINK A 10.5/8.5 PLENTY..ALL THEY TELL ME IS SLOW IS BETTER???

Si Coe
25-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm finding the combo of a DEX210 and a 10.5t with masses of turbo timing works well for me. Plenty of poke on the straights but more control on the infield.

As for cars for sale - some racers change chassis more often than they change underpants*. They buy whatever is new, so in the last couple of year everyone sold their X6 for a Cougar SV, then a 22, then a 210, then a C4.1 and now either a DB1 or a SV2 - yet the X6 remains as capable as all the others!
Any 4 gear mid motor will work well enough.

* Some racers probably should change their underpants a bit more often though. They only change chassis twice a year!

lardy37
25-06-2012, 11:33 PM
hi me and my son have b4.1 and it is a good car which is easy to set up and drive, personaly i would stay away from the losi although a very good car and strong have heard it can be a bit tricky to set up, the durango seems to be a very popular choice with the main problem being weak rear shock towers but apart from that seems very good and also very good price :)

TARTMAN
26-06-2012, 07:41 AM
hi me and my son have b4.1 and it is a good car which is easy to set up and drive, personaly i would stay away from the losi although a very good car and strong have heard it can be a bit tricky to set up, the durango seems to be a very popular choice with the main problem being weak rear shock towers but apart from that seems very good and also very good price :)

easy to set up and drive. compared to any other, they all have the same adjustments and plenty of tips on here and at the track.
any car can be set up easily, its the driving that needs the work....

cjm_2008
26-06-2012, 10:13 AM
I just picked up a second hand dex 210 & ran it for the first time at caldicot last Friday. I was blown away by how much harder I could push into corners. I've never driven a mid-motor 2wd before either. it's brilliant - just a hint of understeer before hooking up ready for a thumbful of throttle. it was supremely stable and predictable. and I haven't even started to mess with any settings yet. my trf was very waggly, especially under braking and turn-in.

with a 10.5 I managed to qualify 7th, and my delta got smaller on each run. I think I'll try a 7.5 next time :)

Karting
26-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Have a look at the Ansmann X2C, ALOT cheaper, just as strong and also more importantly, just as fast :) Also there is a conversion coming out in the coming months which will keep the chassis updated even more!

TonyM
26-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Mid motor is a must for the Uk. I had a Losi 22 but found it a) difficult to set up for each track and b) difficult to shoe-horn in the electrics.

I've been running a DEX210 for six months now and I'm loving it. Also, the kit is relatively cheap and spares are now easy to come by.

Motor wise I would suggest a 7.5T for most tracks and use your ESC/Tranny settings to soften the drive or add more punch to suit track conditions.

jasjeet
26-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I got into off roading with a used DEX 410R (v1), they go around £130 in good condition. Really good car and has really good balance in jumps, lands nicely with stock springs too.

arransmith27
26-06-2012, 08:41 PM
X6's can be found 2nd hand for reasonable money.

Nice quality, uses a lot of proven AE parts and very forgiving to drive.

ralphee
29-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks to all you guys for the replies, its all being mulled over, i just need to pry myself away from some vintage restores and other hobby blah, and ill make this happen,

bests......lee