PDA

View Full Version : Returning to RC: 2wd buggy options.

Chris Elworthy
27-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Alright lads,

I'm soon to be returning to RC after a 5 year break and would like some advice on the pro's and con's of the chassis avail able these days. I will be primarily racing at Bury Metro (all astro) and Southport (Multi surface).

I really like the look I the Losi 22 but have heard it can be a little tricky to set up? And I may struggle to fit my radio gear in there. The Centro conversion seems a good choice but is a lIttle too expensive for now so the Durango 2wd seems a decent alternative but I'm worried about parts support.

Essentially it is between the Losi or the Durango but I would be open to other suggestions. The days I the simple choice between Losi and Associated are lOng gone so am a little confused through the choice available.

All help would be greatly appriciated.

Chris

Si Coe
27-06-2012, 05:17 AM
JE Spares can provide parts support of all 3 models listed, and have good stock levels for all of them.

mattr
27-06-2012, 06:07 AM
And FWIW, parts support on the DEX210 is not as bad as its made out, as generally, they don't break a huge amount of stuff.
I bought a nice bag of bits, bits i thought i'd need.
Most of them are still waiting to be needed.
(rear towers excluded)

There's another thread about it somewhere.

racingben
27-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Chris in a similar role to you I started cheap and bought a mad monkey. I found some x2c shocks, ball raced it and but ceramic balls in the diff.

After looking at various cars I decided to get a Durango 210. Positives for me were that the spares cost pretty much the same as the ansmann car (wishbones etc) and included in the kit are the parts to change toe / castor / anti squat / trail.

The only thing I don't like about the Durango are the shocks. They don't have bladders and I have found it really hard to get them to work. I've now found a good setup though and after a few goes at building the shocks I'm now getting used to how they need to go together.

I built the 210 with ceramic diff balls. The only option part I've bought are the spring sets.

Creme do some lovely weight kits but I have just made my own weights out of lead sheet. A lot cheaper!

I have had to put about 50grams of weight in the front to stop it lifting under acceleration. I don't like this though so have ordered a short lipo to see if I can get the same weight distribution without making the car heavier. I had to add 80 grams to the mad monkey to get the same effect.

The 210 has plenty of room for electrics. If its wet I tape the body to the chassis tray and have had no issues. The car's nicely made and the only thing I've broken is a wing.

F1END
27-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I have recently been in a similar position. Narrowed it down to the Durango 210, the Losi 22 and the Schumacher Cougar SV2. Went for the SV2, one of the main reasons being that quite a few people have them where I race, including team drivers, so set-up help will be top-notch. Also I wanted to show support for a local company as Schumacher is 10mins from where I live.

All are good cars, not much in it as far as quality goes.

morpheus2010
27-06-2012, 02:37 PM
DEX210 is popular and regarding spares MB Models (http://www.mbmodels.net) are pretty hot with mail order, First class on-line catalogue, Quick to dispatch and free posting on orders over 25. Order before 12 noon and usually arrives following day.

Plenty of help and advise available from the guys at Southport :thumbsup:

hotrodchris
27-06-2012, 06:25 PM
DEX210 all the way drives straight out of the box, few minor hop ups maybe
Ally 14mm hex's
Carbon front and rear shock towers
Carbon steering link
Carbon rear camber link

These aren't necesary but help with tuning!

Si Coe
27-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Don't think you'll be upset with any of them but I've got to say I find my 210 great. If you are back at Bury come have a look at it (I couldn't make last Sunday) cos its really bling!

210 spares were only a problem when it first came out - demand for the car exceeded supply. Now thats sorted I'd expect normal stock levels except for newly released stuff.

madmulc
28-06-2012, 11:55 AM
In January 2012 I started back racing after a 20 yr break, I started with a schumacher cougar sv which was a great car, Ive now upgraded to the SV2 and boy is it much better than the SV. The SV2 is a great all round car plus parts are available from most shops or direct from schumacher themselves :thumbsup:

bigred5765
28-06-2012, 11:59 AM
another vote for the sv2 best kit ive built in 25 years, works stright out the box,
very strong, parts are a breeze to get hold of, and support is second to none

mattr
28-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I will be primarily racing at Bury Metro (all astro) and Southport (Multi surface).Dunno if anyone's mentioned this, but it might be worth finding out what the front runners at these two clubs running? And what is the most common car(s). Also, what the local sponsoring shops (if there are any) carry as brands.

First one will help with set ups (as they are the front runners for a reason) the other two will help with spares availability AND set up advice.

Big G
28-06-2012, 12:49 PM
The centro conversion is well worth the money and the availability of spares is second to none

I changed from the DEX210 to the Centro and an loving every minute on the track.

andoiwebb
28-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Big G is biased these days, he's partisan.

Si Coe
28-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Dunno if anyone's mentioned this, but it might be worth finding out what the front runners at these two clubs running? And what is the most common car(s). Also, what the local sponsoring shops (if there are any) carry as brands.

First one will help with set ups (as they are the front runners for a reason) the other two will help with spares availability AND set up advice.

Doesn't really help there as Bury has a TLR team driver, a couple few top drivers with Centros and enough 210's to make their own class! There is no clear winner. That said, the Centro seems to be more effective in the hands of the better drivers, whilst the Durango makes the better 'clubmans' car. The Losi seems a bit Marmite - some love them, some sold them after a week.
Curiously we don't have many Schumachers - 2wd or 4wd. Not sure why as local shops are well stocked for them, but somehow nobody uses them......

Chris Elworthy
29-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the input lads, much appriciated.
I feel I am leaning towards the cougar Sv2 at the moment, I've always liked my Schumacher card from my days racing touring cars so hopefully the buggy will follow the traditions.
Which Lipo's would you recommend for this chassis?

I will be buzzing around at Bury Metro on Sunday so don't be surprised if I come harassing you lads in the pits ha!

Chris