PDA

View Full Version : Has oOple added to the popularity of 1/10 Off Road?

Jimbo
02-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Hello all,
I was thinking this the other night while perusing the threads and reviews for the umpteenth time this week.

Do you think oOple, the site, team, coverage and forum, have contributed to the increasing popularity of 1/10th Off Road on an international scale?

This is not intended as some kind of brown nosing thread about how great oOple is (we all know that), more about what kind of influence do you think oOple has had on the scene in general.

I started visiting this site when it was mainly for Jimmy to display his excellent collection of vintage rc cars. Since then Jimmy added the forums and the excellent event reports. At that time, other than maybe in Racer magazine, there was no real emphasis on the coverage of 1/10th Off Road in the international media, websites and what have you. RCCA and others were basically engrossed with either gas off road, monster trucks, mini's or touring cars (not that there is anything wrong with these classes), other than coverage of a bare minimum of ROAR Nationals and Worlds coverage.

Key to my eyes has been the increased (read better) and more honest coverage of big meetings. More chance of blokes getting their mugs on the net (to show their mum, wife or their mates they were actually at the track lol) I think will have assisted in many of you in the UK having an increased interest in attending the nationals.

Key to us outside the UK has been the increased coverage of events such as the Euro's (rarely seen in US mags or other websites previously), and now the worlds. I know there were plenty of us from the antipodes that religiously followed the Japan coverage, and I personally read all the event reports so I can keep up with who's quick in the UK, the cool photos and tracks, and the latest stuff wheeled by the UK's factory pilots.

So now look at where the scene is at. There are record numbers of 4wd manufacturers, new brands of 2wd, all in a time when racing in general is splintered into various classes more than ever. We have three new 1/10 compliant off road tracks where I live in the last two years, to no other kinds of tracks being opened.

So, I've bored you to tears with my question, but do any of you have any similar thoughts on this?

J

BTW I have another theory that 1/8th gas is seen as the most popular class on an international scale as there are only two classes to run, where as electric is divided into 2wd, 4wd, truck, and then further by stock and mod motors. It should be numbers of drivers entered, rather than cars entered per class, that should be compared. But don't get me started lol.

Andy Moore
02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
This site has without a doubt increased my entheusiasm for 1/10th Off-Road racing. Before I joined I had only raced a handfull of times the year before, and following that I now have a full schedule of racing, haha.

Jonathan
02-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Oople is single handedly responsible for getting me back into RC after a 20 year break. !

:thumbsup:

David Church
02-05-2008, 05:42 AM
I was already mad into the sport when I met Jimmy and vicky and then found out about oople.
But Oople has def given 1/10 electric off road a home online!!!!!
The amount of people at the big events, ie, the Euro's and Worlds that said they visit the site was amazing!!!!!
So I agree Oople has helped our section grow!!!!!!
And it's about time they were financially rewarded!!!!!!!!!!
I have said to Jimmy a few times he needs a section we all CAN donate.
This would be voluntary only.
This would also allow Oople to attend all the big events, possibly even race and not be out of pocket!!!!
What do you all think??????:thumbsup:

SHY
02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I was totally hooked on 1:8 TR and myTSN... Elvo & oOple got me hooked on these acid powered humpty dumpty thingies in stead... :D

Lee
02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
A donation section is a good idea MCDC:D I think those who donate could get special privelages such as when a report of the euros for instance is uploaded they can read it but those who dont subscribe have to wait till after the event.

Just an idea?

I wouldn`t be racing off road if it wasn`t for oOple, it has been a valuable source of information for me in helping me cross over from the snorers.

Thanks oOple team :thumbsup:

c0sie
02-05-2008, 08:37 AM
"Has oOple added to the popularity of 1/10 Off Road?"

Damn right. I wouldnt be into 10th if it wasnt for Jimmy and co.

o0ple rocks, and ive always said id gladly donate to keep the site running. The photos and reviews alone are top of the game.

GRIFF55
02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Oople is single handedly responsible for getting me back into RC after a 20 year break. !

Me too!!:thumbsup:

blitzboy
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
ill second that oople rules no more tc for me its just more fun in buggies :woot::woot::woot:long live oople

losixxx
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Me too!!:thumbsup:

so everything about oople isnt positive then!!:o:woot::woot::woot:

Northy
02-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Or, has it done more harm than good? Eh, Jimmy? :lol::lol::lol:

G

CAClark
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM

Similar for me. I knew I was buying a 1/20 off roader, but reading Jimmy's excellent Durga review swung my choice to that car, and the forum is a wealth of info that hopefully will get me to a stage of racing :)

So for me at least oOple is an ongoing boost.

Cheers!

telboy
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
After god knows how many years doing On road, I came across oOple and imediately got the bug again for off road. Seeing the pics of the cars gave a really good image for the section and I think that it has had an influence (if not the biggest influence) on the off road scene.

I think it deffinately produced more 'Jimmy's' taking camera's to meetings, and although I've always been into photography, I now take my camera to any meeting that I can.

I certainly wouldn't mind donating.
I would even pay a monthly fee to access special 'subscribers' sections. After all we all pay over £3 for the mags we read.

Keep up the good work jim, vicky and all the other contributors.:thumbsup:

Lowie
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Indeed, a big "THANK YOU" is not misplaced.
I've been a site and forum-administrator myself and I know the amount of time and effort that get's into it. It's ok when you enjoy doing it, but sometimes it's difficult to find the necessary time.
IMHO, the greatest advantage of oOple is that it gathers a lot of (positive thinking) people and by doing so, gathers a lot of knowledge.
I don't think a separate section, for subscribers only, is a good idea. The knowledge has to be easy to get to for everybody, after all, that's what made this forum so great (as it does for all popular fora!).
But I certainly wouldn't mind contributing on a voluntary base.

Maybe an idea: there is a very popular Dutch RC-forum: www.modelbouwforum.nl (http://www.modelbouwforum.nl) and there also, the possibility exists to donate a certain amount of money. It is completely voluntary and all you get for this is a special note under your avatar saying "friend of modelbouwforum" and you also get a little special gift.

I think that if you make that little gift be something like a little decal or sticker, specially made for the contributors, mentioning something like "oOple-friend" or "oOple-M8" ... I am certain you might find many people interested in donating and by doing so showing their aprectiation.
I myself would certainly do so!

telboy
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
...or depending how much you donate, a t-shirt with oOple friend on.:thumbsup:

That'd be cool.

darryl
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
again like mentioned in previous threads i would gladly donate to oOple, its a mine field of info and even if you dont participate in answering posts its still an interesting read :thumbsup:

dancoog
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I returned after 12 years out of the hobby largely because of coverage that Oople was putting up.

It showed me how much fun I was missing and reminded me of the great times I used to have racing.

So pleased to be back and I owe at least part of that to OOple and this online comunity (Eden Park especially!)

David Church
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree with Lowie, contributions should be voluntary ONLY!!!!!
We are all part of this great sport, spurred on by this great website we know as Oople, but we are all at different places in life, mentally, physically and of course finacially!!!!!!

So let's all thank Jimmy and Vicky, and let's push them to take our money:thumbsup: WOW, you don't hear people saying this much eh!!!!

And I will put my money where my mouth is and offer the first donation of £100!!!! Over to you Oople, make it possible for us to donate to your site!!!!!

glypo
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Well I got back into 1/10th after hearing Schumacher were re-entering the scene. But the whole oOple site has been a massive part of it, and lots of helpful and fun people. In fact it's been a good breath of fresh air from the 8th scene and sites :)

glypo
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Well I got back into 1/10th after hearing Schumacher were re-entering the scene. But the whole oOple site has been a massive part of it, and lots of helpful and fun people. In fact, it's been a good breath of fresh air from the 8th scene and sites :)

As for donating, it's a good idea. I don't like the idea of subscriber sections though, as it closes bits off to people, which I don't think is the in the right spirit. Adding functionality to people in a position to donate is always better than restricting those who aren't. :)

antnee
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Subscribers should get benifits like extra PM space, maybe a custom tag(bit under name), etc. No extra sections.