PDA

View Full Version : running in electric motors???

levontraut
01-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Guys.

i have ordered a few bits for my buggy. i am very new to this electric stuff so need all the help and info i can get.

i heard that you must run in a electric motor...???!!!??
is this true?? if it is, how does one do it please??

i have no idea on how to do it so all help will be greatly apreciated.

setup:

120 amp sct pro H/W
5.5T brushless H/W
2s lipo

cheers
levon

RobW
01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi Levon

I've been running brushless for a few years in various electric classes and I've never heard of peolpe running in brushless motors.

We used to run brushed motors in at a low voltage to bed the brushes in but not sure why you would need to do it with a brushless motor:confused:. I stand by to be corrected though:)

Rob

levontraut
01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi Levon

I've been running brushless for a few years in various electric classes and I've never heard of peolpe running in brushless motors.

We used to run brushed motors in at a low voltage to bed the brushes in but not sure why you would need to do it with a brushless motor:confused:. I stand by to be corrected though:)

Rob

maybe it is that then and i got my story all mixed up.

cheers rob.

levon

hotrodchris
01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
No need to run brushless motors in but you need to bed a diff in!

MrMagoo
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
No need to run brushless motors in but you need to bed a diff in!

If it's a ball diff... never bothered with the 'Rango gear diffs.

levontraut
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
the gears i will be putting on the motor are the old ones that have not been raced but have been played with in the road with a 15T brushed motor. so in a way that have been run in. i think the best thing to do, is use the std gearing as a base mark and go from there.

i have no idea what i am in for till it is all fixed and sorted out. and then taken down the road.

my biggest problem i might have is the slipper clutch as i have no idea how much i need it to bite and slip etc... and i am not to sure if the gears will handle all the power from the motor.

but i will strip down everything once i ahve done a lipo through the system to make sure it is all ok. then a full service is in order

HOTSHOT III
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Like some other respondents i've never heard of anyone having to run in a BL motor, but it's well worth bedding in new LiPo packs to give them longer life.

For the 1st few runs charge at no more than 1C (i.e if you have a 5000mah pack charge at 5 amps or less), drive gently (no more than half throttle) and only use half the charge in the pack (so stop running when the pack is down to about 3.8v per cell).

This makes no difference to the performance but makes the batteries more stable and reliable over time. I did this when mine were new in October and they still perform and balance well (no measurable difference from new) despite being used almost every week since then.

Storage charging after every use also helps. Check out this article, it goes on a bit but is well worth reading:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

levontraut
03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Like some other respondents i've never heard of anyone having to run in a BL motor, but it's well worth bedding in new LiPo packs to give them longer life.

For the 1st few runs charge at no more than 1C (i.e if you have a 5000mah pack charge at 5 amps or less), drive gently (no more than half throttle) and only use half the charge in the pack (so stop running when the pack is down to about 3.8v per cell).

This makes no difference to the performance but makes the batteries more stable and reliable over time. I did this when mine were new in October and they still perform and balance well (no measurable difference from new) despite being used almost every week since then.

Storage charging after every use also helps. Check out this article, it goes on a bit but is well worth reading:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

cheers for that dude.

what i have been doing is balance charging them at 1 amp everytime i charge them up. this way i know they will not puff or get hot and ballance correctly. the lipo that i have only has had about 9 charges (balanced) through it.

i have ordered a few more. but i am getting a bunch of diffrent C rattings so i got a bit of evertyhign for track type etc...

cheers all so far for all the replys.

levon

hotrodchris
03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Levon

If you can stay with the same batteries as they all weight slightly differently so effect balance and handling!

levontraut
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
what oils are you guys running in your 4x4 1/10th's please??

shocks, diffs etc...

cheers
levon

MrMagoo
04-07-2012, 06:08 AM
What chassis Levon?

levontraut
04-07-2012, 06:36 AM
What chassis Levon?

FTX Vantage 4x4 1/10th electric.

i only know of one guy that has one rich. but at the end of the day the way i lok at it all the shcoks are similar design and run all about the same type of oil.

the vantage has an upgrade chassis that i might get at the end of the month. from plastic to carbon.

if you ahve a look here i am busy with my build mod / restoration
http://www.maxbashing.com/mbforum/showthread.php?26084-FTX-Vantage-4x4-buggy

but i have started with 3K in the rear and 5K in the front. i hate a twitchy car and a car that steps out to fast. i prefer it to be a little more understear than over stear.

i find i do pretty well like that with my driving style.