PDA

View Full Version : Rare cars @ Green Hill (Sweden,Stockholm)

Thomas P
03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/skarpnack/S5031370.jpg

Today, it was a wonderful day for some track time...My Club mate and close-friend Daniel T a proud owner of the Atomized B44 from Atomic Carbon was here to...he and i are probably the 2 in Sweden,Scandinavia that owns those kits..mine are slightly different , mine is based on the IFMAR Worldchampin car from 2005 the jConcept BJ4WE, Daniel Tīs is based on the IFMAR Worldchamp car from 2007 the Associated B44 (based and developed from BJ4WE)

It was real sunny, with Schumacher tires on the Atomized B44 that one was Hairy to get close..i was forced to do my best (and im only a decent 4wd driver) to get some close action) i was running on the Losi STUDS...the cars, both was like cars on rails...

No doubt, more balanced cars cant be found...easy to drive to...

some pics on the 2 Masterpices in Sweden...

Thomas Petterssonīs Atomic Carbon S4

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/skarpnack/S5031362.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/skarpnack/S5031367.jpg

Daniel Tengvallīs Atomized B44

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/skarpnack/S5031364.jpg

That batterystrap, must be the BEST there is...!!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/skarpnack/S5031365.jpg

ALL CRED to the people that are involved to thoose cars...they are state of the ART!!:p

MOVIE WILL BE HERE SOON

SHY
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
he and i are probably the 2 in Sweden, Scandinavia that owns those kits.

Enjoy it while you can Thomas, it won't last long! ;)

P.S. You should start getting paid from A-C before soon! :D

I haven't been in Stocholm for some years now. Boy has that track changed! It used to look like a military obstacle course! :woot:

I've seen some videos of your indoor track (1-2 years old) - boy those jumps are EXTREME!!! It's really "try and kiss the ceiling"!

Thomas P
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
:D...SHY, i assume ya will receive one soon then :)?

That track is ..redone :D..it is SO fun...

Jepp, it is...they are some serous Arm breakers :D:D

MOVIE WILL BE HERE SOON "El Tango" will fix it...

GRIFF55
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
That track looks great Thomas!!! Love to run my atomics there:thumbsup:, shame it's so far away:(

OldTimer
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I think Daniel needs to run a RC8 servo horn on there ;) to straighten up the link.

Cars look great, and i really like the look of the track :thumbsup:

Body Paint
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Good work guys :thumbsup:

Lets have some feedback on setup fellas, please.

I am loving your tracks Thomas, you are one lucky guy having them on your doorstep.

Daniel T: JC is correct, you need an RC8 servo horn on there (or heavy duty KO type horn) the Associated one is to short and to weak, B4 horns snap all the time if you don't have a servo saver like the AE B44 does. Get a longer horn and you can put some spacers between the ball stud and the horn which will straighten up the steering link :)

Daniel T
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi all!

I made a small video from our practice today.
The quality on youtube is not that good so itīs a little blurry, but hopefully you see something at least!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyE8mRzxmE

I tried a couple of setups today. First i started with a quite soft car and then made the car harder all day. The track is really bumpy so you cant run a super hard car, but the grip is really high so if you run your to soft you will traction roll in every corner. The setup I was using at the end of the day was like this.

Front:
Blue sping
red piston
40 wt oil
Outside on wishbone
Middle hole on tower
Long links
2 mm washer under inner balllink

Rear
Pink spring
blue piston
40 wt oil
Outside on arm
the most inside hole on tower
long links
3 mm washer under inner ballink
long wheelbase

The car was really good, but i need to work more on the rear on the car.
Since I have so thick oil the rear end will bounce some so I will try some diffrent pistons and oils nest time.

And I will also get the RC8 servo horn :)

Cheers
/Daniel

GRIFF55
03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
cars and track looks great!! Have you got five cells in yours thomas? What motor and gearing?
Cheers

Body Paint
04-05-2008, 01:08 AM
DANIEL: That track looks really bumpy now I've seen your car on it.

I would try moving the shocks out a hole or 2 on the rear tower, you will find the car goes across the bumps straighter so you will be able to accelerate harder through that centre section. Your car looks like it is bouncing from side to side a little.

Also try as little anti squat as possible, no washers under the rear toe brace gives 1 degree. This again will help the car accelrate across the bumps.

Did you try the Losi internal springs in the front? These would make a big difference on that track.

My preferance on rear shocks is orange piston with 32 or 35 wt oil

Thomas P
04-05-2008, 05:42 AM
This is mine. (Strange, cant use the Editable Setup sheet nothing will be saved even if i do)

Front:
Green (light) sping
Diff
red piston
40 wt oil
Outside on wishbone
Middle hole on tower
Stock link (one and only)
1 washer under inner ball link
1 washer under outer ball link
3 washer under steering ball link
Bones are level
Stock steering link
Losi Studs outer row are cut Silver compound

Rear
Pink spring
blue piston
40 wt oil
Outside on arm
Inner hole on tower
Short links
1 washer under inner ball link
Pivotblock R03
long wheelbase
Bones are level
Losi Studs Red compound

LRP: competition - 2,x,x,x
LRP: 4.5 sintred stock rotor

Spur:81 / Pinion:16

Batteries: Team Scream EP4600 Matched 5 cell packs

Xtra:

Layout: 4 in back 1 in front,toward the chassiside, Batt dummie close to centre shaft
Atomic Carbon Slipper mod is instaled, tiny slippering..

Daniel T
04-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Body Paint:

Yeah, I tried the internal springs but it was not that mutch diffrence. The best change on the setup on the whole day where when I put blue spings on the front. It made the the car a lot less twitchy. When I moved the rear shocks to the inner hole a lot of traction roll dissapered. But I will try the mittle hole again.

I also run the car with no shims to have as little anti squat as possible...

Now Iīm off to the track again and I will work on the rear shocks to get the car to bounce less.

Cheers
/Daniel

SHY
04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Very nice track guys! And good driving!

Is this track a "second" OR track? I seem to recall that the old "obstacle course" was placed kinda in the woods and not that close to the asphalt track?

My home track:
http://www.ombk.no/content/images/0bcae79254263f65b38d13c88fa854e3.jpg

Body Paint
04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Let us know what you come back with:thumbsup:

The S4 setup seems to work everywhere, I miss that a little but the Atomized B44 is coming on nicely.

Daniel: Chris Doughty has been running his car on the outside hole on the rear tower, I find this a little tricky on the corners but Chris's super smooth style can handle it. I've been running full time 4wd with a diff up front and an anti roll bar at the back for the last 2 weeks which I plan to try again at next weeks national, it makes the car very stable and means you can keep the throttle wide open until the very last moment and then hit the brakes and hook the car in. This also works very well with 5 cells with the 2 cells at the front and 3 at the back, although you do need to pull the nose up when jumping.

TommyBergfeldt
04-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Very nice track guys! And good driving!

Is this track a "second" OR track? I seem to recall that the old "obstacle course" was placed kinda in the woods and not that close to the asphalt track?

[/IMG]
The old track is now the 1:8 OR track.

Daniel T
04-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Back from the track...

I tried orange piston and 35wt oil at the rear shocks, and the mouting position in the mittle. It was better on the bumpy sections but I still had problems with traction roll.

Would a rear anti roll-bar help with traction roll problems? Woulnīt it gain more stearing? The car tend to overstear a litte bit as it is and I do not want to have more stearing. I run a diff in the front as I like to have the possibility to break. Maybe a thin swaybar is the sulotion?

I will have one more day at our local astro turf track and continue to test some setups with the shocks. Next weekend is the first race of 2008 and itīs on a small dirt track with a lot of tight turns. No big jumps. Itīs really bumpy in some parts and really flat in some. I need a lot of stearing to get around the corners and a stabil rear end that not bounces. What changes would be the best? Maybe 35 oil and blue pistons with pink or yellow springs at the rear and green springs up front with red piston and 35wt oil?

Cheers/Daniel

SHY
05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
A front one-way really is THE solution for more steering! You gotta drive smoother but it's way faster...

bbq
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Back from the track...

I tried orange piston and 35wt oil at the rear shocks, and the mouting position in the mittle. It was better on the bumpy sections but I still had problems with traction roll.

Would a rear anti roll-bar help with traction roll problems? Woulnīt it gain more stearing? The car tend to overstear a litte bit as it is and I do not want to have more stearing. I run a diff in the front as I like to have the possibility to break. Maybe a thin swaybar is the sulotion?

I will have one more day at our local astro turf track and continue to test some setups with the shocks. Next weekend is the first race of 2008 and itīs on a small dirt track with a lot of tight turns. No big jumps. Itīs really bumpy in some parts and really flat in some. I need a lot of stearing to get around the corners and a stabil rear end that not bounces. What changes would be the best? Maybe 35 oil and blue pistons with pink or yellow springs at the rear and green springs up front with red piston and 35wt oil?

Cheers/Daniel

Change the tires!!! :D

SHY
05-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Doesn't it help also to cut off the outer pins?

Gayo
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Very nice track, wow ! You should have an Euro here.

I guess those double jumps must be hard to clear when the track is wet, specially in 2WD !

Body Paint
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
My next suggestion was to either trim some spikes off or try more worn tyres but bbq and Shy beat me to it.

I'm not sure there's very much more you can do to the setup without making it to stiff. Maybe you'll need to find a compramise that suits you the best.

SHY
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
If you have enough steering reduced travel will help against roll.

You are very well advised to use -expo and reduced servo speed as well! It slows down the steering reaction. Modern day servos are WAY too fast and can make the car very nervous and also make it roll. Smooth is always faster...

A lower car also helps against roll. Plus more camber!

Gayo
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
If my car wants to roll, I put a thin layer of CA glue on the outside edge of the tyre, in fact between the pins and the rim. It works amazingly well, and if you go too far, you can always "de-glue" it with a Dremel.

SHY
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
If my car wants to roll, I put a thin layer of CA glue on the outside edge of the tyre, in fact between the pins and the rim. It works amazingly well, and if you go too far, you can always "de-glue" it with a Dremel.

Good point by The Godfather! :thumbsup: We've been doing that for 1:12 the two last years! Put glue on a tissue, rub it in. Then sand it with emery paper to smoothen it out. No more roll!

http://www.caputo.li/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_9444/DIR_11447/Nuerbring007.jpg

Mike Hudson
05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
cutting the outer pins off seems alot less hassle

Gayo
05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Right, but when cutting pins is not enough, CA flange is the next step.

Daniel T
06-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Cutting pins of the tyres was one of the first things I did, and it was a little improvment. I also tried to run the car lower but then it bounced more over the bumpy parts. The traction roll is not a big problem since it only happens when I tend to push the car a little to mutch.

I have tought about trying less down travel in the front shocks to get the car to roll less. Thomas P is running a front anti roll bar and he is able to push the car a lot more, but we are also running different type of tyres.

What kind of shocks shafts, houses and limiters do you use on your cars?

Cheers
/Daniel

Chris Doughty
09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I come to the conclution that you just have to live with traction roll, if you can drive a car that has this problem, but be aware of it and drive under its limits then you will be faster that trying to dial out traction roll.

sometimes I find that a stiffer car does not stop the car traction rolling, it still does it, but it does not give any warning, it just flips, but a softer car its visually easier to see when its about to go and then you can save it by backing off.

the track and the cars look great!!!

RC8 servo horn - DEFINATELY!!

Servos too fast - no way!! the servo can never be too fast, the movement of the sticks/wheel should be the factor that controls the steering speed - get a fast servo and drive it smooth

I only stood my shocks up loads just for Kiddy to get drive, I would not normally be out there if the track had any grip at all (Kiddy didn't!!)

Thomas P
09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Tea for 2 :D

Done and ready for the first race outdoor this season... :D

Left : S4-T-Pettersson::::::: Right Atomized B44 D-Tengvall

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/s4/S5031390.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/s4/S5031391.jpg