PDA

View Full Version : Durango DEX210 or Schumacher SV2

thorny97
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Afternoon Everyone

I currently race 1/8th nitro all year round, but in the winter months i also race my schumacher sx3 at worksop. This year i have decided to venture into the world of 2w drive. So here's my question do i have either the durango or the schumacher? Please bear in mind that i want a car thats cheap to run and change parts if i have a crash, which with my sx3 was sometimes very frequent. The car must be easy to set up espeically at worksop. it took me 3 visits to the track before i was happy with the SX3

What hop ups am i likely to need?

which car is the best to go for?

Thank you for your help

Aran
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
if you're happy with the sx3 and want to stick with Schumacher cars get a Cougar SV2. See if you could have a few laps with someone elses if their kind enough to see how you like it

bigred5765
08-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Schumacher all the way, great car very strong, spares readily available, and great back up from schuy direct

thorny97
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
what hop ups if any are needed for the schumacher and which of the cougars do you have, bearing in mind i will mainly run at the indoor surface of worksop and maybe (and its a small maybe) on some astro tracks

Robocop
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I would go for a sv2 i have to say its the most robust car i have driven the only thing that has broke on mine is the rear bumper that holds the undertray on.Where the 210s break the rear tower and the ball diff seems to be a pig to get right.
Schumacher diffs are awsome only cleaned it and relubed it once since built as you have a sx3 you will have springs already

Philim
08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
the only upgrade on the 210 i would get is the gear diff and new ball cups. other than that i have not had a problem. great car for the money

thorny97
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
If i buy the cougar sv2, are there any hop ups necessary, ie weights etc

Robocop
08-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Camber link plates,springs,pistons,5 degree castor blocks maybe all i can think of backup is first class and parts are easy to get hold of durango seem hit and miss to me

Superstar
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I would go for the Durango DEX210 every time. After trying one out at a regional this summer I got one myself. A friend of mine and ex development driver (this was some years ago lol) says its the best 2wd he has ever driven and he has so much experience!

Another mate of mine who is a Schumacher team driver (racers mainly at Worksop due to summer working commitments, to add regular worksop A finalist) loved the Cougar SV but says the SV2 just doesnt compete and that it isnt good at all, so much so he says he is going to try and get away with running the SV this winter. Obviously I cant name names but he isnt the first person to say this.

So from what I know the 210 is the better package, works pretty much kit standard set up, few tweaks here and there but comes with everything in the kit to make changes to it. The argument about the cars being weak doesnt stack up either because from a personal prospective and from mates the car is very rigid. As for the SV2 for me Schumacher parts quality is some way behind the rest, I think the parts wear out far too easily and some of the plastic bits can break quite easily. But the machined alloy parts that wear for example the outdrives and driveshafts are really not cheap to replace. This is from my experience of running the SV. But the SV was a great car to drive though and was fast around worksop.

So if you wanted to go for schumacher the SV is the best bet around Worksop. People may say look at top drivers ect they do okay with the SV2 but the truth is their cars are nothing like the originals with so many development parts on, they dont compare.

But if you wanted a current model it has to be the Durango. For the price, kit quality and kit set up being so quick out the box, you can't go wrong :thumbsup:

brooksy
08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I agree with superstar,saw an sv2 going round at Broxtowe today and the gearbox sounded like a bag of nails going round the track.(and he only ran it in the final!!!).

I've had my 210 for about five months now,had many crashes with it and not broke a thing. I've also had some really good results with it doing my first ever regional series.

Schuey cars are good when they're running right but take way too much looking after and you will probably end up buying lots of upgrades gettin it up to scratch.

bigred5765
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
couldnt disagree more, infact quiet the opposit,

Col
09-07-2012, 01:46 AM

No surprise there, buddy!!

I have run neither, and will never run either of them, so have no first hand experience, but there are several of both at my club (York) and all seem to be strong, reliable cars. Both are well established with good parts supply so I'd buy whichever is cheapest...

TARTMAN
09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
well, i ran the SV for about 6 months and loved it. handled great and easy to set up.
BUT
It just broke way to easily. shock towers, wishbones, front plate, etc etc, seemed to brake something every meeting........

Cadburys cougar it seemed to be...

I have an sx3 as well and that is SO much stronger. only done 2 wishbones in the same time frame....

I now run a TLR22, its the strongest ever.... just does not break.......

The rango's seem to go very well, and break sometimes, as all cars will.....

Of the 2 of your choices, if thats the only choices you have decided on, i would prob give the 210 a go. they seem to be a good car round the SHRCCC track and all who have them are pleased with them.... in the most part lol......

thorny97
09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Thank you everyone for the help, descisions decisions decisions. The more i thought about it last night, i was edging towards the sv2. Is it really true about the sv being better than the sv2.

I do enjoy the sx3 and i already have the springs which i could use on the cougar.

I would have had one of the conversion kits, but betime you have brought the donar car and the conversion kit your looking at in the region of £350 to £450.00.

Bearing in mind i still need to buy all of the electrics

Still dont know what to do

Timee80
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
I agree with superstar,saw an sv2 going round at Broxtowe today and the gearbox sounded like a bag of nails going round the track.(and he only ran it in the final!!!).

I've had my 210 for about five months now,had many crashes with it and not broke a thing. I've also had some really good results with it doing my first ever regional series.

Schuey cars are good when they're running right but take way too much looking after and you will probably end up buying lots of upgrades gettin it up to scratch.

You must be talking about smithy's car. Shame he smashed the ansmann up because he didn't look too bad with that. (when he want crashing in front of me and then bitching about being marshalled. He obviously didn't see the car in front of him taking my legs out through interference!)

brooksy
09-07-2012, 08:21 AM
That's the one.....a re-build is in order me thinks!:woot:

cmgreen
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
only drove the sv2 twice, but it is much better (or easier to drive) than the sv.

12-nitroman
09-07-2012, 03:11 PM
i currently race a durango and its not bad,yes the diff is a handful but its a clip inside that if its not sitting properly the diff wont work and will come loose.

my short report on the car is it's very strong i mean nothing breaks at all,much stronger than the sv2 for a fact but for handling and grip it was totally rubbish the first few times i took it out,would slide out the rear end wayy too much and was constantly straightening it again and again.
i got a setup guide from a chap on here called 'steveproracing' and now i have tonnes of rear end grip and also i tightened the slipper and ball diff as now i have more feel and sense in the throttle and getting good results.car is easy to work on apart from the hex screws round off well for me they have so have replaced a few.

TARTMAN
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
they seem to be the same on most makes, rounding off. had to dremmel a few out on the 22 and the schumachers.
I now have a set of stainless for both cars. when i have to replace a screw or do any rebilding, i put stainless in place. no more rounded allen screws hopefully. Kit screws never seem to be very good....:confused:

brooksy
09-07-2012, 03:40 PM
If the sv2 and the 210 are the only two cars your seriously looking at I would have a look at them both close up. Chat to the guys that own them,watch them go round the track and then decide.

At the end of the day everybody has different ideas about different cars. Only you can make that final decision.

Good look in which ever car you choose.

TARTMAN
09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
If the sv2 and the 210 are the only two cars your seriously looking at I would have a look at them both close up. Chat to the guys that own them,watch them go round the track and then decide.

At the end of the day everybody has different ideas about different cars. Only you can make that final decision.

Good look in which ever car you choose.

perfect words... grerat advice.... I would not rule out other makes/models thou..... you might miss out on something you like more?:o

Freakypen
09-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Agreed-parts quality is second to none in my opinion, and haven't broken a thing on the sv2. There really isn't a bad car out there at this level-but I guess strength wise/durability, it depends how hard and how fast you're hitting things-hit any of them hard and often enough-somethin's gonna give.

VikNor
30-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I would buy the 210. Its cheaper and faster,at least on the tracks ive seen them. On the durability side i would say Both the 22 and the 210 Can take alot more. The SV/SV2 looks amazing do. Alu and carbon all the way. I was going for a SV2 but after seeing alot of breakage and gearbox problems i ended up with a TLR 22 AC Tardis. If posible test them both