PDA

View Full Version : budget setup advice

RichHarvey
10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi all. I'm hoping to come along this Sunday and have a look, my 7 year old son is interested in the racing (me too but don't tell the missus!)
We have had a couple of losi's in the past but have since sold on.

I was just after some advice on the best budget option to race at torch. And rough cost ect.
Or is any one selling some old kit at the mo that will get us started.
I live in fareham.

Many thanks in advance Rich and Harvey.

jamiekerr14
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi Rich

Firstly you are more than welcome to pop down sunday and have a look and chat! Well it depends on what class you and your son would want to do. As there is 2WD + 4WD

2wd is a little trickier to master at 1st as it requires a bit more of a smoother finger and so on. But its a great class to learn and really help you progress as a driver I think. 4wd is great fun it can be a little easier-specially if the track is damp/wet. So it depends on your preference, for me if you want to do it on more of a budget I would maybe start off down the 2WD route. As there generally a tad cheaper and a little less to maintain. Im sure others will chime in a help too!

Jamie

RichHarvey
10-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Jamie
Yes was thinking the same at starting off 2wd, on maintenance cost reasons ect.

lordnikon
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Welcome Rich & son :thumbsup:

I started again last august so coming up to 12 months, started with an ansmann mad monkey then went to an ansmann X2C. To be honest in hindsight it was abit of a false economy. Both great cars but with the upgrades needed on them they are then the same sort of price as the other manufacturers.

I've recently moved up to a Team Durango DEX210, they are popular at the club (always a bonus if you get caught short for a part !) The Schumachers are also popular, their SV2 is a very capable car and fairly new so parts should be available for a long time.

The top guys run Kyosho DB1's and Vegas. No doubting these are fantastic kits and the top drivers there are genuinely a joy to behold in full flow. Unfortunately the kits and conversions are quite expensive if working on a budget.

I guess buying two of the same car would make sense for you, I know a couple of guys are selling their LOSi 22 kits which some of the juniors are already running and they take some abuse. It really is a minefield and quite daunting, however the guys down at Torch are very welcoming and are always willing to chat about anything RC :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope to see you there and dont be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they maybe daft.

A side note, if you do end up buying new and want 2 x kits 2 x Tx etc then it would definately be worth phoning up the shops as most will do a deal for you. If you dont ask you dont get right ........... :blush::thumbsup:

RichHarvey
10-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Many thanks for the kind welcome and good advice.

hotrodchris
10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
look forward to meeting the 2 of you on Sunday hopefully the weathr will behave?

SteveB
11-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Hi all. I'm hoping to come along this Sunday and have a look, my 7 year old son is interested in the racing (me too but don't tell the missus!)
We have had a couple of losi's in the past but have since sold on.

I was just after some advice on the best budget option to race at torch. And rough cost ect.
Or is any one selling some old kit at the mo that will get us started.
I live in fareham.

Many thanks in advance Rich and Harvey.

Rich

I would always suggest 2wd and then advise a Associated B4.1 RTR or a Losi 22 RTR, Losi is stronger and gives u option or rear or mid motor. Lots of people use these cars as well, so set up and advice is on hand, Je Spares as a 7.5% discount for any club members,

See you Sunday bring a chair or 2 and enjoy the atmosphere and exciting racing

Thanks Steve

benl
11-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I've only just started myself and hope to be down on sunday.

You and your son are welcome to have a quick blast on my B4 after racing has finished (as long as I havn't broken it by that point) if you like.

RichHarvey
11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Ben
many thanks for the offer, hope to see you sunday,:thumbsup:

Briangb
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi Rich. New members always welcome at TORCH. Ask at Race Control for
anyone who has responded on here, and whoever is in there will point you
in their direction. Nearly everyone knows everyone. You will get a warm welcome from a very friendly well run club. Brian