PDA

View Full Version : Personal transponders

HOTSHOT III
16-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm starting to race at a few different tracks that all use the AMB timing system and would be interested to hear people's views on whether the AMB or MRT PTX is the better option.

I race 1/10th and 1/8th buggies so ideally i'd want one for each car. I've noticed some people on ebay are offering paired MRT ones with the same number, is this so you only have to remember one number wherever/whatever class you race in?

Is there definitely only one type of AMB timing system, and only one type of AMB/MRT personal transponder?

Also if any one could post some links on here for each type that would help as i've tried searching online and haven't got very far. Thanks for all your help!!

mark christopher
16-07-2012, 10:37 AM
mrt all the way get the cloned ones off ebay

blue_pinky
16-07-2012, 10:41 AM
AMB make the full timing systems, loops, decoders, and PT's, and is the most common timing system used in RC all over the world as far as I know.

MRT just make compatible transponders.

AMB transponders each have a single unique number stored in them.

MRT transponders have 1 main number, that is a clone of an AMB one that MRT themselves own I believe, and they make/sell many of their same few (I say few...it's probably quite a lot!) numbers to people. BUT...they also have a number of default backup numbers stored in them which you can change to to use should you be at a meeting and get a clash. Clashes are very very rare though from what I can gather!

If you own an AMB PT you can send it to MRT and they will make you clones of your AMB PT, meaning you can have as many PT's of the same number as you'd like.

The latest AMB PT's (code named 'Harry') have allegedly got a higher signal output than the previous AMB versions and the MRT's, and will in future allow you to have 'clones', which have an extra digit stored in them for each clone, meaning even your clones are actually unique as well, but this has not yet been released and the working details of this not yet known.

In practice the AMB's and MRT's all work perfectly well, the MRT's are cheaper than the AMB's.

AMB Harry's are available via BBK Software, MRT via MRT themselves, but their site seems to be pretty basic at the moment, and doesn't seem to have any links to buying from them?!?!?

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

enb1
16-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I use a AMB transponder and then got MRT to clone the number so i have two transponders with the same number so i can do two classes it makes racing easy.

MRT phone number is 08701624955 Terry or Clive Stockham.

HOTSHOT III
17-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys, most helpful.

Pair of cloned MRTs on the way, one for each car!

TARTMAN
21-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Thats the cheaper and easier option(2 cloned mrts). I have an amb and 2 mrt ones. all different numbers, bit of a pain....

will prob sell the lot and get 3 cloned mrt ones soon..... much easier, as may be ages till amb/mylaps do the cloning of the harry, the harry is smaller and i prefer it, but also damn expensive compared to the mrt ones.......