PDA

View Full Version : New Ballistic Buggy tyres coming soon?

jimmy
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
We spotted these new Ballistic Buggy spiked tyres being tested in secret a while back, but these are the first photos of the new prototype tyres from this UK manufacturer.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/misc/news/ballistics.jpg

The design is more in-line with other offerings - the spike being a little larger and thicker than that found on the likes of Schumachers Mini Spikes, or GRP's Cone Spikes. The compound shown is the soft 'Pink', but a new compound designed to be a good all-rounder is being developed as we speak.

Ballistic Buggy have been around for years with a small range of Tyres mainly targeted toward the UK market - these new tyres spotted are no different, being designed for the type of tracks commonly found in the UK and other parts of Northern Europe.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/

racingdwarf
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Hmmm........working out a new design must have taken months. maybe if they asked real nice schumacher would lend them a mold:woot:.

Chrislong
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Another nice tyre mould, hopefully Schumacher will have something soon seeing as the 2 copies are far superior in terms of form.

Dare I say it.... will the new BB compound be called lucky dip? coloured like Smarties? (Mud sticks im afraid)

bert digler
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Hmmm........working out a new design must have taken months. maybe if they asked real nice schumacher would lend them a mold:woot:.

more fool schumacher for not getting there arses into gear this could replace yellows no more exploding tyres:thumbsup:

bigred5765
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
lmao @chris

Cockerill
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
more fool schumacher

More fool us for still paying 7+ for a pair of tires that are poor quality, or not what we wanted, and only last 5 mins :thumbdown:

Chrislong
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
More fool us for still paying 7+ for a pair of tires that are poor quality, or not what we wanted, and only last 5 mins :thumbdown:

Infact, on the note of cost. Im not interested in running these BB's, Good looking tyre tho', if the price is low then will give them a chance otherwise im sticking to what I know personally.

Although if this introduces competition on price then it could be a good thing... im all for that.

bert digler
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
:lol:More fool us for still paying 7+ for a pair of tires that are poor quality, or not what we wanted, and only last 5 mins :thumbdown:

perhaps some competition may cause schumacher or the other tire manufacturers to make a better tire after all 2.2 minispikes are a design from 1990 :lol:

Cockerill
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll still sell for 7+ a pair, great fun :thumbsup:

Btw, What use is competition in a closed market? but hey that's a discussion for another time.

bert digler
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll still sell for 7+ a pair, great fun :thumbsup:

Btw, What use is competition in a closed market? but hey that's a discussion for another time.

lets not upset the applecart:thumbsup:

Cockerill
06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
No we don't want to upset people, cos then we will continue to get dodgy tires and mis-labelled tires, exactly what I want, don't know about you.

Sometimes you have to upset people to get results :woot: If I hadn't of said something I'm sure the shops will still have been stocking BB Blues as Greens at Oswestry, not what we want at supposedly the best series in the world.

Chrislong
06-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Im with Tom, just got to give gentle reminders. Afterall this is free marketing for them to empty our wallet, so lets use it in OUR favour as us potential customers DO matter, and if it means we get good products then it is good for us, good for racing, good for the BRCA.

Chrislong
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
not what we want at supposedly the best series in the world.

And with the forecast being good, im looking forward to Oswestry! :thumbsup:

Cockerill
06-05-2008, 10:42 PM
And with the forecast being good, im looking forward to Oswestry! :thumbsup:

So I'm, I got my BB blues form Jez at Jarrow for it, so I'm prepared if its wet :thumbsup:

Chrislong
06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Sarcasm, can't beat it...:lol:

Elliott Hopkins
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Are the Blues the hardest compound? That they haven't produced in a while? I've got a 2WD front and rear set that I don't need, if anyone wants to PM me to buy them off me. They are a couple of years old.

Anyway, I think the spikes on the rears look like the smaller, squatter Schumacher spikes. It's nice to see them making fronts again.

The GRPs still look like the best quality and value on the market. Not that I have tried them, yet.

But what do I know.

Elliott.

Adam Skelding
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM

That's still half the price of Sch....! They're 15 a pair with 2 free cast offs!

BB: Basically screwed up my Kiddy national. I had some new 'Greens' which are harder than old blues.

It's a shame people put in effort to come up with a tyre that works well in most conditions, enough to get recommended for a national tyre list by one club (Big Thanks) and then shot down by the powers that be.

Hey ho.

I've stayed quiet for too long on this. Hopefully, the other brands will get a fair crack of the whip for next years nationals.

:thumbsup:

DCM
07-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I tried GRP's last weekend, and they were far more consistant, and came with inserts AND snazzy stickers, can't complain at all about them, just wish all tyres came like that and at that price!!!

(with that big a thumbs up, do I get a free set!! :woot:)

Lee
07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
A quick question, i assume these new tyres will be called a mini spike, so therefore will they be elligable for this years national series. I cant see a part number on the national entry form where it states the tyres allowed for that event. I understand they will have to be "commercially available" also.

I would like to see an open tyre rule for next year accross the 3 manufactures.

_sleigh_
07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
NO these new Ballistic tyres will NOT be elligable at the 2008 National events. I haven't seen the final sales details for the tyres, but they will definately be a new part number and I imagine will be named something other than "Mini-Spike".

Lee
07-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Cheers Phil (Mr Tech Officer):D

Cockerill
07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
That raises an interesting point Lee. What defines a BB tire as a Mini-Spike? Older BB packets label the tires (that we currently use) as 'Spike', yet the newer label shows 'Minispike', with the same part number. (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/tc386_photos/DSCN1568.jpg) Is there a difference between these two tires, and there is no defining mark on the tire itself.

Looking at this year’s entry the tires are BB Mini-Spikes, looking at Cml's website, the distributor of BB tires they only seem to sell 'Pin' or 'Spike' tires, so where do shops source there 'Minispike' tires from?
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_category.php?catId=58&range=RACING

Are BB tires 'Spike' or 'Minispike', what's the difference, or is it just a case a incorrect labels again? There is no defining mark on the tire itself.

MattW
07-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Tom, let's be honest here - we all know EXACTLY what tyres are legal for this year's series. Regardless of what anyone would rather they be.

As for open tyres - go for it - it you really want to kill off rd racing. It's just my personal opinion, but i do remember the boxes of tyres that i used to carry round with me and all the cash that tied up with it. IMHO, control tyres are the best thing to have happened to RC racing at National level, and that isn't just off rd. Just my opinion, like i say, and i'm sure not everyone will agree with it. I don't much care what the control tyre is - i just really don't want to see it opened up.

Cockerill
07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Matt I'm all for control tires, I also remember the days of carrying box's of tires and it wasn't fun :thumbdown:

All I'm doing is asking questions about information freely available on the internet. If motors and cells are measured to the nearest mm, then why are tires allowed to be so random/poor, yet in off-road it is my opinion that grip is the defining factor of pace, therefore tires is the most important factor. If speed was we would all be running 2.5T motors :woot:

I don't care what the control tire is, but would prefer it to be a quality, consistent product at a nice price. At the moment I don't believe we have any of that and I don't think I am the only one. I also get the feeling that people are starting to realise this and are going to start doing something about it :thumbsup:

Northy
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
IMHO it's a fair point.
The name of the tyre seems to have changed, and perhaps by luck still has the word 'spike' in it. It could have easily changed to 'poo fingers' or 'dib dabs' (like crazy 8th tyres) :woot:

It wouldn't be a problem if BB still only had one type of 'spike' tyres.

Anyway, the best thing to do in situations like this Tom is email Paul and Charlie (and maybe even Phil).

Cheers,

G

Chrislong
07-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree with Matt, but then with a control tyre, its a closed market and there is no competition on price or quality as we're running those tyres regardless.

So price is higher than what is reasonable

Quality is lower than what I would call acceptable.

This means it is screaming out for competition for this product, if there were competition such as from the well made GRP tyres which we can't currently use, then there is incentive for Schu and BB to get there act together.

I had an idea I chatted with Tom about, and I wasn't going to post it until we chatted more and spoke to PW at weekend for opinions. But here goes: what I said was to nominate the control tyre for nationals as (commercially available) "Minispike" of any brand. So we currently have Schu, BB and GRP currently, and if Amark, Proline, Losi, JConcepts wish to introduce a "Minispike" then they're allowed too.

On the downside, I am against having too many options so id be happy for my idea to be lost in time....

But there is no competition in the marketplace for tyres, and id like there to be some to keep the manufacturers on their toes, rather than up'ping the price til it looks silly.

My other thought, is to have 3 tyre options rather than 2.

Chris

super__dan
07-05-2008, 05:49 PM
At the risk of being contravercial, I think they look good and look forward to trying some.

Am I weird?

Lee
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
IMHO it's a fair point.
'poo fingers' or 'dib dabs' (like crazy 8th tyres) :woot:

G

I think they are in maidstone this weekend G

Chrislong
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeh I agree, need to ask Paul, Charlie, but right now its not clear in my own mind so I haven't done that. I value the thought of many of you guys and this is the only tool for reaching you all at once :thumbsup:

So lets not get carried away. Early stages here.

Its a tough one to make changes with, without creating too many tire options - suddenly local knowledge wins.

Northy
07-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I have always thought there should be a list of part numbers, and not just a name.

I have some Schumacher 'mini-spikes' in the garage that are more like USA tyres, square edges and a flat top. They never took off 'cos they were rubbish, but I 'should' technically be allowed to use them......

G

Chrislong
07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I had some Minispikes which were a bigger profile, 2.2 still and looked almost identical, just a tad bigger. Only saw them once, never seen them since.

elvo
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I imagine will be named something other than "Mini-Spike".

They're called 'studs'.

MattW
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
You're thinking of microspikes, and yeah they were rubbish!!

It's a fair point on part numbers i guess - we only control the rear tyre, so you would end up with 3 from both Schumacher and BB - there is no real reason (that i can think of) not to list them somewhere - but let's be fair and just use a little common sense. This is the good thing about this section, common sense usually prevails - from drivers and officials :thumbsup:, this isn't the case in all sections.............................. :thumbdown:
Many of you will know what i'm thinking of here...

As for competition, fair point to a certain extent. You have to strike a balence, and i don't think we're far out to be honest, but it depends on your region i guess. In ours, any commercially available tyre is allowed, and at our meeting last weekend i know there were ballistics, Schumaher, and GRP in use. This does get any other tyres out there and in use - so people get to find out what works and what doesn't. I think this works, but maybe not all regions are the same.

I have always thought there should be a list of part numbers, and not just a name.

I have some Schumacher 'mini-spikes' in the garage that are more like USA tyres, square edges and a flat top. They never took off 'cos they were rubbish, but I 'should' technically be allowed to use them......

G

_sleigh_
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM
They're called 'studs'.

Now you mention it I remember the conversation I had with Mr/Mrs Ballistic about the name.

c0sie
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
How are your control tyres chosen then?

I know that 10th TC let the racers decide per year on Central Booking...do you 10th offroad types do the same kinda thing?

ashleyb4
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Cris generally between the club commitee and the brca they decide which tyres will be best. So say if all but one of the club proposed schuamcher mini spikes and ballisitic buggy spikes but then one club chose say GRP cone spikes and ballistic buggy spikes then the brca may suggest using schuamchers etc its generally just a bit of commen sence and conversation between club commitee and brca.

A

c0sie
07-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for that Ash

DCM
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
and there was me thinking that the hosting club nominated two tyres that they know to work on their track...... so it could be BB and Schumacher at one track, and GRP and Losi step pins on another.... for example.

ashleyb4
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Yea host club nomnates two tyres but common sence comes into it like tiverton we never used to run schuamchers because they didnt work. But i think the brca try to keep the tyres the same at all venues where possible.

A

Northy
08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
You're thinking of microspikes, and yeah they were rubbish!!

Nope, not them, I know which ones you mean. When I see them again (in my mess of a garage) i'll put them in my box or take a picture. :D

G

Nick Goodall
08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I had some Minispikes which were a bigger profile, 2.2 still and looked almost identical, just a tad bigger. Only saw them once, never seen them since.

That was the Schumacher "High Profile" Minispikes - they were actually quite popular when they came out early/mid 90's and were good in the wet! God i completely forgot about those!!

The new BB's do look pretty good, i've seen them in the flesh and they're similar to the Sch / GRP tyres but the spikes are a bit fatter at the base, they should be good in Green compound but it'll be interesting to see if they match the Schumacher Yellow compound, then they could work!

Lee
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I have heard that there will be a BB yellow;)

Northy
08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I've also seen the 'high profile' mni-spikes, but that's still not what I have at home.... :D

G

Nick Goodall
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I have heard that there will be a BB yellow;)

No doubt about it, i just wonder how close they'll get to the Yellow as the GRP's aren't quite the same...

The other schumacher Tyres i think G is talking about sound like the Studs that someone else mentioned earlier, they've got a flat sort of profile and a strange side-wall that sort of sticks out - a bit like a Tamiya kit tyre type thing???

Adam Skelding
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I've also seen the 'high profile' mni-spikes, but that's still not what I have at home.... :D

G

They were Schumacher Studs. I have some still at home in BiBx and Green Compounds. I don't think they ever really took on as they were mainly done for the Temac Worlds if I remember rightly. We then used them at the national there the following year.

chris_dono
08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
How are your control tyres chosen then?

I know that 10th TC let the racers decide per year on Central Booking...do you 10th offroad types do the same kinda thing?

Isn't it the racers who attended last year's national that decide ? i.e. not everyone who's booked in for this year.

modelimages
08-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Cris generally between the club commitee and the brca they decide which tyres will be best. So say if all but one of the club proposed schuamcher mini spikes and ballisitic buggy spikes but then one club chose say GRP cone spikes and ballistic buggy spikes then the brca may suggest using schuamchers etc its generally just a bit of commen sence and conversation between club commitee and brca.

A
ash
you are partially correct, but it must be stressed that the club committee decides on the tyres not the BRCA, as most people are aware stotfold were going to chose the GRP as an alternative, there then followed a conversation with the BRCA and we chose to go with BB, i must stress that we were not forced into changing by anyone had we so wished then we could have had GRP.
john

modelimages
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
the current debate on tyres is interesting , from my point of view as a shop i cannot be expected to carry enough tyres of all compounds for all weathers, so having two makes my life easier, it doesn't matter to me which two. but that said adding a third type wouldn't be a big deal, opening it up to any tyre would be a huge deal, in theory next year GRP will have a wet and dry compound in the conespike, BB will have the current mini spike and the new stud both in wet and dry and schumacher will have the new minispikeII, as an example for this weekend i have 130 sets of schumacher yellows and the same in BB pinks, i have alimited amount of schumacher greens and no BB greens, if it rains i will still have 130 sets of yellows, no problem for me as they remaining nationals will use them.
As for GRP its a bit catch 22 for them, to specify that tyre the clubs need to see them run, but everyone is running the usual tyres, so no one is sure if they will be better/same/worse, without any data the clubs are sticking to what they know so they don't get chosen.

smokes
16-05-2008, 04:05 PM
maybe we should opt for some form of QC on the tires .....

Jez
23-05-2008, 12:33 AM
got a slection of compounds going to south shields tomorrow.would be interested in any feedback.thanks jeremy.

jimmy
23-05-2008, 12:36 AM
You stocking them already Jez? what compounds are they?

strobe
24-05-2008, 06:21 PM
See they are available to buy from a few Model shops. Pink, Green and Yellow compound.

MattW
26-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Fair play to them, they seem to have got the heads up in producing J-82 tyres :confused:

Northy
26-05-2008, 09:19 AM
These were available for sale at NERCR yesterday, who actually tried them? :confused:

G

dave p hall
26-05-2008, 10:03 AM
These were available for sale at NERCR yesterday, who actually tried them? :confused:

G

i tried the ballistic yellow studs on rear with shui yellow's mini spikes on front:thumbdown:in 4wd,back end was very loose:cry:so went back to shui yellow's all round,and it was planted;)so my conclusion is that ballistic yellow studs are harder,then shui yellow's:confused:you can tell when you rub your finger over the studs,spikes:wubi think the ballistic yellow studs will make a good wet tyre:confused:

Chequered Flag Racing
26-05-2008, 10:19 AM

G

ran them front & rear for 4wd, had steering/rear going in but no rear coming out of corner

tried them on 2wd on Sun on rear only (front yellow staggers). Same as 4wd dirve, no rear coming out

used Snee inserts

so my conclusion is that ballistic yellow studs are harder,then shui yellow's:confused:you can tell when you rub your finger over the studs,spikes:wubi think the ballistic yellow studs will make a good wet tyre:confused:

Ditto

Think there more like Schumacher Blues'
Should be OK when the the grass is like it was before we wore it out

BB Greens in new packets are the same profile as the old unlike the new BB Yellow's which are like the Schumachers

MattW
26-05-2008, 10:28 AM
What is the size like of the rear/4wd front?? Is it kind of normal, or a little overgrown like the 2wd front??

Jez
26-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Ran yellows in 1st two heats at NERCR four wheel drive were harder than schuey yellows.Then tried the greens seemed softer than schuey yellows but gave good grip all round. Showed signs of wear on rears so suspect would only be good for one meeting not sure if bb have got colours mixed up or just playing mind games.:confused: Anybody wanting some i will be at Batley next Sunday.

dave p hall
26-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Ran yellows in 1st two heats at NERCR four wheel drive were harder than schuey yellows.Then tried the greens seemed softer than schuey yellows but gave good grip all round. Showed signs of wear on rears so suspect would only be good for one meeting not sure if bb have got colours mixed up or just playing mind games.:confused: Anybody wanting some i will be at Batley next Sunday.

yeah,all this compound lark is frying me brain:lol:

woOdy
26-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I have been testing them for BB at Bury Metro and I like themvery much. I recieved the pink and green compound first and the pinks where fantastic. I ran and ran and ran them. The greens did a few races but I didnt think they where as good as the pinks. I have not had chance yet to try the yellows but really love the pinks. They pull wheelies in the wet.:thumbsup:

Chequered Flag Racing
26-05-2008, 07:20 PM
What is the size like of the rear/4wd front?? Is it kind of normal, or a little overgrown like the 2wd front??

some pics

1st is BBY v SCY
2nd is 4wd fronts BBY, SCY, BBG
3rd is 4wd rears SCY, BBG, BBY, GRP.

MattW
26-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks like they are all a little bigger than what we are used to, which i guess makes it kind of ok - just need to think about gearing if you change to them.