PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Canon question

Spoolio
07-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Finally opened my new 40D but. The seal on the box had already been broken, fair enough - the woman in the shop said they do that to make sure the manuals are packed with the unit. However, the packaging looked a bit "disturbed" and when I have taken the camera out I've noticed there are no plastic films on either of the LCDs. This strikes me as odd. Am I just being paranoid that I may have bought a returned product or are they all like this?

losixxx
07-05-2008, 07:13 AM
i work in the industry m8, return it to the shop you bought it from.
the box should never leave the shop with seal broken, thats why the seals there. and for them to say there just checking the instruction manual is horlicks....

CAClark
07-05-2008, 07:14 AM
I personally wouldn't be happy. Despite what they say, you should recieve the box with the Canon security seals in place, and the fact that the plastic protector sheets have been removed from the camera body suggests the camera has been taken out of all its packaging.

If it were me, I would ask for a replacement that is still sealed. If you are happy to keep it as long as it all works, then it may be preferable to go with convenience.

It's not right though, it should be unopened when you get it really.

Cheers!

Ps. Losi said the same, so what he said, cos he used less words! ^^^^^^^^^

stegger
07-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Sounds like they are trying to offload a demonstrator model:thumbdown:

Southwell
07-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Either go back to the store and demand a sealed replacement or go back and say you will keep it for a 20% discount ;) although i would ask for a new one as some staff would have treated it like crap.

jimmy
07-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Sounds like someones already had it, played with it and returned it. At the very least they might have messed some obscure setting up that you'll never touch in 10 years of photography and always suffer bad photos because of it. I've had the same before and I returned it and got my money back (not a replacement, because I had lost trust)

Spoolio
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Bummer. This is what I thought. Good job I have to go back anyway to collect the other lens that was on back order (70-300mm IS USM) and some filters, and a bag for it all.

Can anybody recommend a decent screen protector for the LCD, unfortunately no one seems to do the rigid PVC ones that fit on Nikons.

CAClark
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Although I never tried them, I have seen ones on ebay that are like a rigid screen that sticks on over the original, they look good in the pics, but haven't actually tried them, I had contemplated getting some for my D200 but never got around to it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GGS-hard-glass-LCD-screen-protector-canon-40d-UK_W0QQitemZ320249340630QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50508QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers!

drinternat
07-05-2008, 01:56 PM
It depends on the size of the screen. Two options. Firstly ones that fit a PDA may be suitable or could be cut to size. Get these from totalpda.co.uk or globalpositioningsystems.co.uk I think they are called.

The other option is Canford Audio at canford.co.uk. They do ones I get for video cameras. I think they call the "pro shooter kits. This kit includes a hood I think but they may do just the screen protector.

The guys on the other posts are right. Even if the shop staff took the camera out of the box to show a customer, the protective film and seals on the instruction bag would have been intact I would think. Was the battery sealed? Still in its packet?

Stu
07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
...............I may have bought a returned product or are they all like this?

Is the image number created in the camera any relevance to total qty of images taken by the unit?

The file numbers in mine are ###-####.

Is the number after the '-’ the total frames the camera has shot?

The last image on mine is 492-9256, the penultimate is 492-9255 and so forth back as far as I can go. I would estimate my camera has taken about 10,000 images so seems to make sense.

Not sure what the 492 means.

Maybe if this is correct you can check the file numbering on your 'new' camera to see if t has been used.

Maybe a canon expert will know more.

Chris Harte
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
May I ask where you bought it from?
If you got it from curry's take it back right away and get a sealed one because a few months down the line and after the 28 days money back gurantee the camera may develop a fault and Currys have rubbish customer service and will not replace or refund, it has to be send off to be repaired at your cost.

Spoolio
08-05-2008, 05:53 AM
I got it from Jessops, they've agreed to swap it for an unsealed one so I'm waiting for a call today to say they've had one transferred from another store/warehouse. I haven't put a CF card in to take any shots, I've just bagged it up again. The instruction pack was open and the blue PVC bag the battery comes in had no tape on it.