PDA

View Full Version : x11 propshaft

manic
28-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Just wondering has any one ever taken one apart. i have bent the ally end that goes in to thr front gear box. but looking at its glued to the carbon shaft.
the parts are listed seporatly on xtreames sight but it came built in the kits i brought

manic

rowanp25
28-07-2012, 04:49 PM
its all glued together with araldite. its a sad fact but its a toss up between having front drive or not. So the more reliable your prop shaft is then the less chance you have of just de bonding it :bored:

DrPaul
28-07-2012, 06:38 PM
The ends can be replaced. Boil a saucepan of water and put the damaged end of the propshaft into the boiling water, keep boiling for about five minutes. Using a think cloth you should be able to twist the metal end off, if not just put the propshaft end back into the boing water for longer. Once off, dry off the prop shaft and use a smear of Aradite to fix the new end. Make sure you measure the overal length before you start to make sure you get the correct length when you glue on the new end.

pieterke
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
It's a good idea of letting the shaft cool down before you fix the new front piece on it. I've seen a few years back a shaft kind of exploded because it was too hot after removing the old front piece + the heat of epoxy when a new piece was placed. It caused the carbon in the shaft to split and that shaft looked like a brush afterwards. I heard a bang from 20 meters away so you better let it cool down first... (ok it was cool :woot: but a bit expensive and dangerous:()