PDA

View Full Version : Tyre question for the new astro?

rollingon4
07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Quick one guys, will need to order more tyres at some point soon, with the surface of the astro being so closed and smooth with the volume of sand in it, do you think mini spikes will still be the preferred choice or would pins be better? My guess was that mini spikes would have no penetrative effect in that surface and yeah I'm too tight to buy a shedload of tyres to test them out, with my driving won't make too much difference anyway :woot:

metalmickey0
07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Well i gunna use my yellow mini spikes anyways as think mini pins will be too short.

mrspeedy
07-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Think Rych is right for a change :o

I know the astro is quite packed with sand but I'm pretty sure that will loosen up with little cars zooming around on it.

What car you putting them on anyway ?

blue_pinky
07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
The norm for astro is yellow minispikes in the dry, Ballistic greens in the wet...having looked at our astro, I see no reason for this to be the wrong choice!

And in 2wd the front tyre of choice currently is the cut stagger...in either full or low profile.

At some tracks the wet tyre choice varies, but I'm always a little dubious...to be honest, in the wet no tyre has much grip...so it just comes down to which one works best in your own mind...or your own tyre collection!

Minipins might also work...but to be honest, with Astro, the tendency is try and find less grippy tyres rather than more grippy ones...the new 'evil' on track will be grip roll rather than the spinning out the gravel previously gave us ;)

I also intend to play with other manufacturers as well once we're running and settled...there are a couple of other tyres around these days, dBoots being one, which may offer a better compromise in grip vs wear rate. The only real reason these don't carry more favour with the top drivers might be the control tyre ruling at nationals...but for club and regional it's open so wouldn't matter at all!

metalmickey0
07-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Think Rych is right for a change :o

Glad i was sat down when i read that:woot:

rollingon4
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Cheers guys, that saves me some wasted money, it's all just guesswork for me at the mo! I'd heard dboots multibytes were worth a shot too Andy, supposed to not necessarily wear any slower but keep gripping as they wear out, might give them a go as a tyre for practice nights, I need all the practice I can get :lol: Catch you all tomorrow!