PDA

View Full Version : tyres for wet

snail speed
19-08-2012, 07:08 PM
What sort of tyres would u use on a 2wd buggy in the wet. Mainly grass. Shumacher minispikes in yellow or the harder blue/green. With the tyre being harder the spikes would dig in more. Thats the theory but does it work. What other tyres are used in wet. Would worn grass affect tyre choice

Col
20-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Either Schu green or balistic buggy green are the most popular.
For excessive conditions I'm told that TR32's work best, but am not sure if they are still available

Tomk26B4
20-08-2012, 09:20 AM
What sort of tyres would u use on a 2wd buggy in the wet. Mainly grass. Shumacher minispikes in yellow or the harder blue/green. With the tyre being harder the spikes would dig in more. Thats the theory but does it work. What other tyres are used in wet. Would worn grass affect tyre choice

Ballistic greens are softer than shuy yellow though? aren't they??
and ballistic pinks are meant to be used ' when the grass is lying down making like a greasy sheet' I think thats right?

blue_pinky
20-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Ballistic greens & Schumacher Greens are the 2 popular wet tyres...Schumacher Silvers were apparently the tyre of choice in the wet at Eden Park National this year, but that's the only place I've heard them work!

Ballistics are softer than the Schumachers, and have longer spikes that deflect more probably giving more contact area or something perhaps?!?!?...but there's more to it than the hardness...it's got a lot to do with the actual rubber compound too...

I think the truth really is that there is very little grip in the wet, no matter what tyre you run...although one thing is for sure...Schumacher yellows do not work at all!!!

At every wet race I've ever been to, some prefer one over the other, and some prefer the opposite...so whatever works for you really, I suspect to the top 10 drivers who can feel the odd 1/10th of the second here or there on track it probably does matter, but as an average driver I've rarely felt enough difference back to back to worry.

So I tend now to stick to the ballistics in the wet...they work well enough, and also work ok in the dry too...so are a good balance for wet and drying conditions. In totally dry conditions they are are slightly safer than schumacher yellows as they have a bit more give (due to the longer spikes)...and at RHR national this year they were the choice tyre in the dry as they gave a better balance of grip on the two types of astro they have there.

Also, in my experience the compound of rubber used on the Schumacher greens goes off over time, hardening the rubber further and rendering the tyres useless after while...so they don't work if kept lying around in your pit box. Ballistics don't seem to do this.

Skye
20-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Its all down to opinions really, but in the wet last winter I had a clear preference for Schumacher Silver mini spikes. The are incredibly soft and dont have the longest life span as a result, but I found them to better for me than green mini spikes or BB greens.

That was on astro at Stotfold though, not sure about on wet grass?

What about Schumacher full spikes? I've never known anyone to run these but if I was going to use them anywhere I would think it would be wet grass? Has anyone got any experience of using them?

Chalkie
20-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Wet grass is very different to wet astro, Ballistic Greens work up to a point but are no match for TR 32's when condition get bad, the ballistic spikes are simply not big enough compared to TR 32's. The other alternative is Tamiya spire spikes which are all but identical to TR 32's.
Getting hold of some seems the biggest problem.

snail speed
20-08-2012, 02:28 PM
So am i right in thinking a tyre with big spikes works best. What about the theory of a realy hard tyre thats spikes stay there shape vs a soft tyre that has the friction on the grass. Same as a wet onroad race tyre. What about inserts to carry along that theory.

Thats the the opinions anyway

Dudders
20-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Also try the Fastrax Turf Rippers. They were good at the old SHRCCC grass venue :thumbsup: