PDA

View Full Version : Forums can be funny things...

Gray01
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
...sometimes its like walking into a local pub and the music turning off *instantly* and everyone looks at you.

Everyone else kinda knows each other and it can be a bit intimidating, so you either stand there and scowl back at the drunken grammar nazi propping up the bar, hoping he can't smell your fear, or you just smile and nod at 'everybody' and say hi, hoping that someone will turn the volume back up and talk back to you.

This is me nodding and saying Hi...

I am getting back into RC's again after a long break, and was pointed in this direction by a guy I met through work, he told me this was the best forum to join, so here I am.

Usual thing, know nowt about brushless systems or LiPo (As far as I knew that what fat celebrity's do for when they can't be bothered to exercise...), so expect some of the same old questions.

I do however promise to look through the forums for the answer before I start repeating the same old threads and getting on peoples nerves...

My main interest is 10th electric and am planning to replace my old Losi xxx4g+ and (box fresh, never used) MF2 with a new 2wd, 4wd and SC truck, and doing a bit of bashing & racing around York and Leeds.

Being a Losi fan I had initially decided on the 22 platform cars, and wait until the new 4wd is announced / released, however the dude responsible for me being here advised that I look at as many other options as possible, notably the Team Durango gear. I had never heard of them, but after a bit of research they do look very cool and incredibly trick. I like trick.

So here I sit, scouring the internet looking for reviews, opinions and information on everything from servos to kits, and I am very much looking forward to crashing, breaking and rebuilding my cars in between doing a spot of racing.

Oh, I have had a quick look around here, but couldn't see a forum rules / etiquette thread so if there is one, and someone could point me towards it that would be useful. If there isn't, I will just assume thread drifts, outragous swearing in thread titles and NSFW posts are frowned upon...

Now if someone could turn the music back up I would appreciate it...

Gray01

Northy
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
What's your real name? Some here might already know you :)

Gray01
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Well my real name is Graham, but 99% of people will call be Gray or G...and I run a sign, graphics and vehicle wrapping business on the outskirts York

...there is a dude on here that will probably know who I am, but I don't know his user name, and not knowing whether real names are something people are happy to band around here, I shall refrain using it until he says its alright.

Unless I am being dim, and its indeed you, Northy, who was in my office the other morning telling me about the Team Durango stuff?

:confused::lol:

Supercoolnothing
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
You wouldn't happen to be Gray from 01 RaceFX by any chance would you?

Deano_uk
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
My mrs keeps going on about a about a Mr Gray but i think thats something totally different....

But I just wanted to say hello and say I'm in exactly the same boat I raced 1/10th IC 5-6 years ago and have just decided to get back into the hobby and fancy 1/10th off road.

Like you I like the look of the Durango stuff but I've also been recommenced Associated B44.1

Not sure if I want to go 4WD or 2WD at the moment

Need to read up on Brushless and Lipos and then dip my toe in the water......

good luck with it and let us know what you end up doing.

Gray01
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
You wouldn't happen to be Gray from 01 RaceFX by any chance would you?

Yes SCN, yes its me :lol:

...since working with motorcycles they have ceased to be 'fun' so I figured that I would take up an old hobby again.

G

Gray01
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
My mrs keeps going on about a about a Mr Gray but i think thats something totally different....

But I just wanted to say hello and say I'm in exactly the same boat I raced 1/10th IC 5-6 years ago and have just decided to get back into the hobby and fancy 1/10th off road.

Like you I like the look of the Durango stuff but I've also been recommenced Associated B44.1

Not sure if I want to go 4WD or 2WD at the moment

Need to read up on Brushless and Lipos and then dip my toe in the water......

good luck with it and let us know what you end up doing.

Ha, my mrs read those books, and apparently 'you should always obey Mr Gray' so they can't be all that bad.:lol:

I will be hanging around here for a while, and when I figure out what I am doing will post pics and stuff. I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

I think I am gonna buy a new kit so I can build it and re-learn everything, plus the building was always part of the fun for me.

Cheers!

G

Supercoolnothing
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

I think I am gonna buy a new kit so I can build it and re-learn everything, plus the building was always part of the fun for me.

Cheers!

G

The 44.1's a good bit of kit, I run its 2wd baby brother the 4.1 and it's a cracking car tho I keep dropping hints to the Mrs to let me get a C4.1 to go alongside it

Superstar
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi. I was on the phone to my mate from York the other day and I am pretty sure he was talking about you. Met you though work?

I presume you will be racing at York to start? Just to get you going for 2wd you can't go wrong with the Durango DEX210 which is what both myself and the guy you met use. In fact it was after using his car at a regional this summer I decided to buy one. For the value they are great. One of the cheapest (Top Spec) cars on the market and it comes with everything you are going to need to start racing. The build is very good too.

For 4wd I had recently been running a Associated B44.1 which I would highly recomend too but I have gone back old skool and now run a xx4 :lol: had my best ever off road result with it the other week and it is still so great to drive. If you have one lying about you wont be at a disadvantage running one. The only downfall is the same as its always been getting into the drivetrain. Plus the car is weak compared to others because cars go much faster in the 21st century :p

I can't comment on the 410 from presonal experience but Im sure it would be perfectly fine too.

Hope this helps, Oh and I just put a quid in the jukebox :lol:

Gray01
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Cheers Superstar, The dude who introduced me to this forum I met when he came to my workshop, I use the company he works for for my business y'see.

I know it sounds a bit cryptic, but as I said because I am new here and don't know the etiquette I won't divulge anything about his real world life, other than he is a sound guy from the York area who gave me a lot of advice and pointers.

I do actually have a xxx4g+ that I could dust off and upgrade a bit, but as I was told getting spare parts can be a problem I may sell it to someone who 'needs' it more than I do, and replace it with a 410 or B44.1

Problem is, as I am a bit OCD I would prefer to run the same brand cars to save carrying loads of spares from different manufacturers. I could sell both my Losi cars, and start from scratch, but I am not sure yet.

In the first instance I will more than likely get a 2wd buggy and all the 'modern' gear to run it, then take it from there. I guess York will be my first race, but it will be a month or so before I get everything together.

I am gonna go over the 8th though and watch / meet / learn / help out / marshall for the evening. Gets me outta the house and keeps me away from work for a while if nowt else:lol:

Thanks for turning the music back on...

G

gazhillAE
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Ha, my mrs read those books, and apparently 'you should always obey Mr Gray' so they can't be all that bad.:lol:

I will be hanging around here for a while, and when I figure out what I am doing will post pics and stuff. I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

Cheers!

G

Good choice of car ;0)

Superstar
01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah I know exactly who you mean because he was telling me about you the other day. Hes a good pal of mine :D

Did you not have any xx4 stuff left? The losi team drivers still run it lol. But spares wise I presume you it is the same story as the xx4 for me, you can get virtually every part new still and a lot of people still stock large Losi parts for the older cars. So to say they are hard to get hold of is a bit misguided when people tell you that.

BUT I think getting a Durango or other popular car would be the best rounte. Thing have moved on and its always so much easier to run a popular car when you are new back just for the advice and parts available (as in if you break a certain part theres plenty of people with spares :)

Iv moved down south now but will be coming up to visit some time in the future so might see you at York.

Good luck
Josh

Col
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
...sometimes its like walking into a local pub and the music turning off *instantly* and everyone looks at you.

Everyone else kinda knows each other and it can be a bit intimidating, so you either stand there and scowl back at the drunken grammar nazi propping up the bar, hoping he can't smell your fear, or you just smile and nod at 'everybody' and say hi, hoping that someone will turn the volume back up and talk back to you.

This is me nodding and saying Hi...

I am getting back into RC's again after a long break, and was pointed in this direction by a guy I met through work, he told me this was the best forum to join, so here I am.

Usual thing, know nowt about brushless systems or LiPo (As far as I knew that what fat celebrity's do for when they can't be bothered to exercise...), so expect some of the same old questions.

I do however promise to look through the forums for the answer before I start repeating the same old threads and getting on peoples nerves...

My main interest is 10th electric and am planning to replace my old Losi xxx4g+ and (box fresh, never used) MF2 with a new 2wd, 4wd and SC truck, and doing a bit of bashing & racing around York and Leeds.

Being a Losi fan I had initially decided on the 22 platform cars, and wait until the new 4wd is announced / released, however the dude responsible for me being here advised that I look at as many other options as possible, notably the Team Durango gear. I had never heard of them, but after a bit of research they do look very cool and incredibly trick. I like trick.

So here I sit, scouring the internet looking for reviews, opinions and information on everything from servos to kits, and I am very much looking forward to crashing, breaking and rebuilding my cars in between doing a spot of racing.

Oh, I have had a quick look around here, but couldn't see a forum rules / etiquette thread so if there is one, and someone could point me towards it that would be useful. If there isn't, I will just assume thread drifts, outragous swearing in thread titles and NSFW posts are frowned upon...

Now if someone could turn the music back up I would appreciate it...

Gray01

Bugger... no grammatical errors...

Welcome G, I'll be at York on the 8th. Come and say hi!

V6Jim
03-09-2012, 09:34 PM

This is somebody who can write! Fantastic opening post - most entertaining!

I, too, have walked into this bar, possibly just a few days ahead of Gray and am now happily sitting at the bar with friends. The learning slope is steep, especially for somebody who's last race was in the last century! But not insurmountable.

I've been getting great advice on here and will be taking it all on board. I may, however, break the rules and purchase a car that nobody is recommending. I like a challenge and I'd love to take on a lesser known car and see if I can get it to work!

I have a car in mind, but I'm going to wait until after this weekend before starting the ball rolling. I'm going to be racing a borrowed Kyosho Lazer at the Dunfermline Old Skool reunion meeting. I'm thoroughly looking forward to it - will my eyes/brain/thumbs interface still function as it did 25 years ago? Hope so...

Probably not.

Jimmy

Gray01
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Jimmy, I am glad I ain't the only one who is getting back into it, I don't feel quite so much of a squid...and its enormously helpful that are forums like this that we can all use to get help and advice.

So with that being said I have taken some of the above advice, and bought a secondhand Team Durango 410r with a few upgraded parts to replace my Losi xxx4.
I think I got a good deal on ebay, but will post some pics and details when it arrives.

I think I will still go and pickup a dex210 from MB Models this week and start out 2wd though, as I never really raced 4WD back in the day.. well that and I am actually quite looking forward to actually building something other than a motorbike...

Oh, and Jimmy mate, I am sure your eyes, brain and thumbs will be fine, and if not at least it will be good fun learning again. Have you *seen* how fast these cars are now though? I was watching some footage from York on Youtube yesterday and suddenly marshaling the things is just as much of a concern as driving them...

...still, it looks like a giggle

Gray

AC199
04-09-2012, 09:46 AM

I found 2... but what the hell! Another racer is always a good thing. Just for reference, Col is the bloke who will have yellow wheels on his B44... 'Cause that's how he rolls... he loves the fluorescent yellow wheels... :P

Gray01
04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Flouro Yellow wheels. Gotcha...

:eh?:

Hang on AC, your sig says you love the yellow too, how will I tell you apart?...

...Infact what if *everyone* turns up on Saturday with yellow wheels???:o*

I will be fairly easy to spot, long(ish) hair, tattoos, silly beard...I may just bring a set of yellow wheels myself so I don't feel left out.:lol:

Gray

*if that actually happens I shall just refer to everyone with yellow wheels as 'Col'

AC199
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Unfortunatley my A drive from LTR states quite clearly that I'm not allowed to use yellow wheels or ball cups. Thats the only thing it states, its not like i get anything for free... except the floppy disk the instructions came on...

"A" Drive... geddit? Roflcopter...

Oh i do amuse myself sometimes...

Col
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
yellow wheels are gay.

Fact.
If anyone dares argue I'll ban them...

AC199
04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Yellow wheels are definitely not gay. Fact. If they were why would they be supplied with the Worlds Kit? Clearly you are wronger than any man has ever been :P

I fear you may be over compensating for something there Col...

I await my ban...

Br00kie
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
yellow wheels are gay.

Fact.
If anyone dares argue I'll ban them...

"Gay"

having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. Synonyms: cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe.

See in the UK Gay means Happy.

Now what on earth is wrong with having "Happy" Wheels :D

Northy
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Well my real name is Graham, but 99% of people will call be Gray or G...and I run a sign, graphics and vehicle wrapping business on the outskirts York

...there is a dude on here that will probably know who I am, but I don't know his user name, and not knowing whether real names are something people are happy to band around here, I shall refrain using it until he says its alright.

Unless I am being dim, and its indeed you, Northy, who was in my office the other morning telling me about the Team Durango stuff?

:confused::lol:

Not me boss. my name is in my signature. welcome back to rc :-)

Gray01
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Er, ah, yeah right...I knew that honest... ;) Cheers Northy!

So back to wheel colour then as this is all news to me...Christ I was so worried about brushless motors that I almost completely by-passed the wheel colour issue.

So, If yellow wheels are 'the gay', can I assume white wheels are a bit 'vanilla' and the only wheel colour for cool kids would have to be black?

Infact is there a guide or FAQ for 'what your wheel colour says about you' for squids so others don't fall into the same trap as I have?

What about a different colour on each corner, what would that indicate?

Its a damn minefield out here...

G

AC199
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
So, If yellow wheels are 'the gay', can I assume white wheels are a bit 'vanilla' and the only wheel colour for cool kids would have to be black?

Infact is there a guide or FAQ for 'what your wheel colour says about you' for squids so others don't fall into the same trap as I have?

The only colour to run would be red. Like crimson red. Black would suck IMHO.

As far as your idea for a set of FAQ's about wheel colour. I think anyone but Col should write it or it would consist of one answer for each question. White.

Idea for a future post right there...

AC

Col
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Black wheels look ace. I ran some many years ago on my B3.
Only problem was that I really struggled to place the car accurately. That problem was improved substantially with white wheels.

Chris... I'm seriously toying with abusing my moderating powers...

V6Jim
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
This all raises the whole topic of shell colour schemes. I was always of the opinion that it was a good idea to paint a car mostly white for visibility reasons. I did once race a car that was black with black wheels and it wasn't good.

However, I recently read that it has been scientifically proven that yellow is the most visible colour to the human eye, soooo, yellow car and yellow wheels are the way to go!

It's scientifically proven! Gay is best!

Jimmy

Col
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
It's scientifically proven! Gay is best!

But wrong on so many levels:p (yellow wheels, not being gay)

Superstar
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Thats why all my cars are mostly yellow! There is logic to my bright paint jobs :)

Si Coe
05-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm still confused as to how wheels of any colour can be 'gay'.
Do they refuse to be glued to tyres and prefer the company of other wheels?
Do some yellow wheels have a dodgy 'tash and wear leather chaps?
Do yellow wheels listen to a lot of Kylie and like shopping for clothes?
Do some towns have a 'yellow wheels district' where like minded yellow wheels meet for a one night stand?
Is there a 'Yellow wheels pride' march each year against anti-yellow wheel bullying?

What defines the sexuality of a wheel? I mean for a start they've only got the one hole......

V6Jim
05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Nobody's mentioned Pink wheels yet...

Jimmy

Gray01
05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Do some towns have a 'yellow wheels district' where like minded yellow wheels meet for a one night stand?
Is there a 'Yellow wheels pride' march each year against anti-yellow wheel bullying?

What defines the sexuality of a wheel? I mean for a start they've only got the one hole......

:lol:

Didn't some early 90's Yokomos come with Pink wheels as standard or am I imagining it?

Perhaps a nice neon blue or 'uber pimp' mirror gold would be the way forward...

...so many choices, so few wheels.

G

Br00kie
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah and the first thing we do with the hole is stick a shaft up it and tweak its nuts real tight :woot:

AC199
06-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah and the first thing we do with the hole is stick a shaft up it and tweak its nuts real tight :woot:

It really cant be good to laugh this hard so early in the morning... that was freakin' hilarious...

Oh and Col, to be fair, I would be disappointed if you didnt have the balls to use your powers for "fun"...

manic
06-09-2012, 06:00 AM
At the moment i got some
orange
blue
grey
purple
stylone can dye wheels in many colours. i think a wheel colour and there meaning chart could be helpful. so you dont get pointed and laffed at when you turn up to a meeting

manic

Richard Lowe
06-09-2012, 08:28 AM
I like the way this thread has steered it's way to such an important topic :lol:

White = fastest
Yellow = bumders wheels
Black = stealth, look cool for pictures but you'll find you can't drive for toffee
All other colours = RTR :p

Definitely come say hello at York this Saturday, especially if you need any more important questions answering :D

The next topic is motor/battery wire colour, discuss...

Gray01
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Y'see, forums are funny things, a simple 'hello I am a born again RCer' thread has drifted to a much more important topic, one which will no doubt save me an embarrassing incident in the near future:blush::lol:

I will definitely be there on Saturday, and will try and say hello / annoy as many people as possible...

Oh, how about wheels with a thin coloured rimtape...whats the forums thoughts on that?

Gray

Richard Lowe
06-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Oh, how about wheels with a thin coloured rimtape...whats the forums thoughts on that?

That would fall under the RTR category, unless the rim was yellow - this overrides all other factors and drops them into camp yellow.

Gray01
06-09-2012, 08:58 AM
That would fall under the RTR category, unless the rim was yellow - this overrides all other factors and drops them into camp yellow.

See what you did there sir...Bravo, bravo

G

manic
06-09-2012, 09:10 AM
On the wire colour front
+ve red
-ve black

but what colour/s to do the motor. should they be 1 colour or 3 different colours. as dont want.to turn up and make the wrong impression.

even the battery could be wrong being red and black.

this is a mine feild covered in cans of worms just waiting to go off

please help

AC199
06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
As much as this is going to be me toeing the line, i have to agree with Rich, motor wiring should be black and no other colour. Its just looks so clean...

As a side note, ever wondered by registration plates on cars arent black on white? As the man above said, yellow is the most easily perceivable colour to the human eye, it must be a wavelength thing, so black on yellow. That explains why Superstar has that colour scheme, a man relying on science to help him drive faster! :) I salute you sir!

AC

Supercoolnothing
06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
What's the forums thoughts about coloured windows on buggies and shells held on with coloured body clips?

Hpi_guy
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
dont like coloured windows personally bit i prefer coloured body clips as it makes noticing if you have missing pins from the rostrum easier and also makes finding them easier, but on a buggy i use velco, only use clips on my short course

Sparky
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Nobody's mentioned Pink wheels yet...

Jimmy

Did someone mention Pink?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rccar/oople/car%20005005.jpg

:blush:

It was different.

Sparky.

Richard Lowe
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM

It was different.

Sparky.

Can you get that wing a little higher? It will hardly be doing anything sat that low down :p

Si Coe
06-09-2012, 10:54 PM

It was different.

Sparky.

Fluoro Pink was cool............ in 1989.
Today its gayer than a camping weekend with Graham Norton and Alan Carr!

Hpi_guy
09-09-2012, 04:09 PM
yellow wheels are faster, fact but due to my colour scheme i will have to have a mixture of black and white to compliment the cow shells :thumbsup: but pink wheels are really camp as si said