PDA

View Full Version : Winter Series, Suitable for a Beginner?

Squares
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi All,

It’s another, “looking at getting back into racing” thread.

My name is Richard, I have been on Oople for a few years but I mainly view rather than post. J I have played around with RC cars for a long time, I used to race a Procat over 20 years ago at a small club in Ashley Green (Chesham Off Road Club), but I think that Watford is now my closest as I believe Chesham is long closed.

I have kept in the sport a little bit, I have a couple of Hyper 7’s, one Nitro, one Electric and some vintage Tamiya’s but I have not raced for years.

So to my question, the winter series, would this cater for a beginner? (I wasn’t much cop 20 years ago, and I suspect I haven’t got any better!?) I don’t currently have a car that I could race but I would like to the start in the class that is probably the most fun. That might sound silly, but the uber competitive and expensive class’s wouldn’t be my first choice anymore, partly to do with cost.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to what class might be suitable to get back into the sport please?

Thanks very much in advance.

Richard.

Chidders
12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Richard,

I asked the same question 8 months ago, and I am now a member at DMS who race on a Thursday night ( not this week )

DMS is an indoor venue for off road buggys, mostly 1/10th. You will race with others of the same or similar ability, and as you improve you will move up the seeding and heats.

Come down next Thursday, I have been made more than welcome and there is always someone to answer your questions, I had many as the last time I race it was all brushed.

Any questions pls ask, Rob

Squares
12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks Rob, that is really kind.

So just to confirm that the only cars really used in the winter series are 2wd or 4wd 1/10th buggies and no micro's etc?

Richard.

Chidders
12-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Micro class / 2wd / 4wd 1/10th

Squares
12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks Chidders, does the micro class run as many heats as the others?

This is probably the one I fancy the most, which cars are popular? I love the Mini 8ight.

Are there any regs anywhere, or do they have to be stock?

Cheers.:)

cutting42
12-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Deleted

Chidders
12-09-2012, 12:34 PM
3 heats and 1 final, same as the all other classes

All have the mini 8ights

No regs on stock or modified cars

Pop down next Thursday and speak with Darren Boyle who runs the club and I'm sure he could help you with the purchase from DMS.

cutting42
12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks Chidders, does the micro class run as many heats as the others?

This is probably the one I fancy the most, which cars are popular? I love the Mini 8ight.

Are there any regs anywhere, or do they have to be stock?

Cheers.:)

The main DMS rules are BRCA approved Lipo's and you MUST use Lipo Charging sacks. Apart from that motors and ESC are free choice. Don't know about when they hold regionals.

Squares
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks All.

I know Daren to say hello to, bought a fair few cars from DMS over the years.

Cheers.

:)

Karting
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Wycombe also run a micro night on a Monday. it's a bit quiet ATM though. however saying that DMS is a great club to race at

jrenton
15-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Hello Richard
I also race at DMS and it is great way to keep out of trouble on a Thursday evening. We have a wide range of abilities and we have great racing at all levels.
I would suggest 2wd would be the best class to start with. It is our most popular class so you will always have a wider field to race against.
We have a results website where we post the results of each weeks racing. See www.dmsresults.co.uk and click on the latest results link.
I will not be there this Thursday but everyone is friendly so come down and chat to the members and watch the racing.