27th Jan
10th Feb
17th March

4 Rounds of quali
Round by round quali
Single leg finals for all

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Winter series will be a ballistic buggy control tyre series.

2wd on driven axles

4wd on all axles

Getpip
17-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Just like that with no discussion or consultation with the membership?
:thumbdown:

DragonRider
17-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi

I have only ever used Ballistic buggy green rears in the wet so what would you use in the dry on astro at TORCH.

Running a SV2 so what tyres would I need for both front & rear.

Cheers

Mark

SteveB
17-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Winter series will be a ballistic buggy control tyre series.

2wd on driven axles

4wd on all axles

Pip and Mark

This decision is a committee one and is something that we feel is likely to benefit the drivers, "XF UK" are sponsoring Torch in this instant and will be offering the drivers benefits through different methods. All will be publicised shortly.

The key thing from my aspect the BB tyre is likely to be used whether is was controlled or not, the dry tyre never come out last weekend for me. When the conditions prove a dry tyre option is needed the BB mini spike white work superb.

The driven tyre only is controlled so any 2wd front tyre is allowed.

Remember this decision is to benefit the drivers, not the club

I'm very sure Darren will comment to confirm my thoughts.

Thanks Steve

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 06:47 PM

We have been offered backing and potential prizes which brings a positive element.

I didn't move off BB's last year

dibble34
17-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I am with pip on this one. I appreciate you are in a tricky position and to be honest it doesn't really affect me too much as I can afford to buy some additional tyres if required. However not everyone can afford to, so it would of been nice to ask members if they wanted better prizes or be able to use tyres they already have. I was running dry tyres last Sunday and the Sunday before. The weather forecast also hinted an Indian summer for next week so could be dry again. I understand the club have to make decisions and can't always check with everyone, however a decision that has financial impact on its members maybe should of been discussed first? I have lots of bb greens and schui yellows so if dry I will have to purchase more tyres that i would not choose to run at any other time. I suspect I will not be the only one....

Darren Boyle
17-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Little surpised to see the negative comments to be honest......

We were approached by the club to ask if we would be interested in supporting the club with a control tyre for the winter series and we were happy to oblige...

As "X-Factory UK" we will be supporting the club in full as mentioned with the Ballistic Buggy tyres which are avialable through all of our dealers with several expected to be present at the winter series rounds to offer trackside support too.

As Steve has mentioend, the BB Green is almost "the" choice in the wet over all others and with a typical english winter expected, as already mentioned, many people could end up on this tyre all day and indeed all series. However, if it lashes down with rain and the track is sodden (but still raceable) we have the Pink compound which is great in those conditions and if the track is dry enough then the White compound is superb in those conditions too (as was found out at the regionals there earlier this year) and if it ever gets "bone" dry, well there is always Blue too if you feel you need it.

All racers will at some stage need to buy tyres for the winter, and selecting a control trye cuts down on how many you need to carry, at a guess I would say a set of greens and whites would see you through most circumstances, no need to carry a mutlitude of brands in your pit box.

We will also at the end of the series, be providing a large raffle via "X-Factory UK" for the racers, and the value of prizes will reflect on the numbers of racers attending each round, the more who race the bigger the prize fund gets, giving the members a chance to win some great prizes.

In my eyes a control tyre should save poeple money and not cost them, in my opionion the club have achieved that for their members with this decision. Any of you already with other brands of "dry" tyres I am sure will get to use them either later in the year or at other venues if you race at them too, after all dry tyres do not last forever and need repalcing often, the BB Whites we found last that bit longer too ;-)

I hope to attend a few of the rounds myself too, along with some of the others here from "DMS" and look forward to coming back to the great venue you have down there.

dibble34
17-10-2012, 07:25 PM
If I am the only one fair enough I am a moaning old git:). However I don't think I am. The tyres most people carry are bb greens and schui yellows. I have plenty of both to see me through the winter. BB tyres are also more expensive for members on a budget.

If there are loads of great prizes to be offered to members in a raffle that is a good thing. Out of interest what sort of numbers equal what sort of prizes?

The attitude is not negative towards dms, it is great that a big shop wants to support the club. For me the only point was that as it has a financial impact on members it would of been good to been involved in the decision, or in my case of known sooner before I purchased loads of tyres!

RudeTony
17-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Look forward in seeing everyone at the weekend .....
i would like to add that I used BBs at the regionals and at the GP.
When i use Schumacher tyres I feel they have to be either new or in real good condition.
BBs on the other hand can be used for many more runs....
Good decision from my point of view - 1 less hauler to bring along....

Go with it lads because this way its the same for everyone .....

DragonRider
17-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I would just like to point out that I was not having a dig at the choice of control tyre.

I was merely asking what compounds to use as I have only ever used greens for the wet.

I am all up for everyone being on the same tyres just needed advice.

Cheers

Mark

hotrodchris
17-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your input Darren.
Pip this decision was not taken lightly as it effects committee members as well but to get a series track support from someone as reputable as Darren can only be good for Torch and it's members?
The idea of a committee is to discuss and make these hard decisions for the benefit of the club and it's members.
The AGM is due soon you are more than welcome to put yourself forward to be more involved in decisions like this!

MrMagoo
17-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I've always run BB Greens in the wet, as they are a great tire (the only sensible choice :woot:). I ran whites as it dried up and Sunday and loved them too, I think they were as good, if not better than yellows in the changeable conditions. As Tony has said, the Schueys do seem to give up their best pretty quickly.

I'd like to say that as a committee member, this decision was not an easy one for the committee, and wasn't taken lightly; one make tire series will always upset some people. The benefits, to the members rather than the club, were what we based the decision on. Ultimately the committee is voted in at the AGM by the members to make these decisions... trust me when I say it isn't easy and takes a lot of commitment.

In these days of ever tightening purse strings I'd like to thank Darren and DMS for supporting our members and giving something back to the racers.

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your input Darren.
Pip this decision was not taken lightly as it effects committee members as well but to get a series track support from someone as reputable as Darren can only be good for Torch and it's members?
The idea of a committee is to discuss and make these hard decisions for the benefit of the club and it's members.
The AGM is due soon you are more than welcome to put yourself forward to be more involved in decisions like this!

Yup as I've got NO BBs at the mo.

If I get a car built I'll go 2wd, need to try and find some skills again

SteveB
17-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I would just like to point out that I was not having a dig at the choice of control tyre.

I was merely asking what compounds to use as I have only ever used greens for the wet.

I am all up for everyone being on the same tyres just needed advice.

Cheers

Mark

Mark

Darren's comments on choice of tyre is spot on, u will not need blue or pink tbh, whites are very good and last allot longer than Schumacher Yellows.

My advice to anyone with yellows, use them up during the morning meetings and they won't go to waste.

Mark your comment was not taken in anyway negative, we communicated a little late with this, so ill take the wrap for that. We had a committee meeting last week to confirm our decision and then passed on today,

Thanks for your support Mark and will look forward to seeing you next week

Cheers Steve

Getpip
17-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Looks like Dave and I will be pitting together in 'grumpy old gits corner'
:cry:

DHB
17-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I would just like to say that I personally race on a pretty tight budget unfourtunatly. We all buy tyres regularly so buying a few different ones should not be major issue. A few of us have been trying BB whites when getting dryer and results are good. Tyre lasts longer as well :)

If it was decided to be an Schumacher control tyre series, how would that go down.

Getpip
17-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I would just like to say that I personally race on a pretty tight budget unfourtunatly. We all buy tyres regularly so buying a few different ones should not be major issue. A few of us have been trying BB whites when getting dryer and results are good. Tyre lasts longer as well :)

If it was decided to be an Schumacher control tyre series, how would that go down.

I'm surprised you can afford any tyres with all the cars you buy!
:p

dibble34
17-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Looks like Dave and I will be pitting together in 'grumpy old gits corner'
:cry:

Lots of room at least :blush:

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Mark

Darren's comments on choice of tyre is spot on, u will not need blue or pink tbh, whites are very good and last allot longer than Schumacher Yellows.

My advice to anyone with yellows, use them up during the morning meetings and they won't go to waste.

Mark your comment was not taken in anyway negative, we communicated a little late with this, so ill take the wrap for that. We had a committee meeting last week to confirm our decision and then passed on today,

Thanks for your support Mark and will look forward to seeing you next week

Cheers Steve

I'll take the wrap for late to Oople, I'm a tad busy this like many people (yes I "work" for a living these days lol).

My only connectivity at present is a dodgy 3G signal

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm surprised you can afford any tyres with all the cars you buy!
:p

Dan's still running TD410 and has been for a while etc.

Normally such a comment is levelled at me lol

M.Andrews
17-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I wasn't sure when I found out about the control tyre of BB tyres,now reading the posts it makes sense(its more likely to be a damp/wet winter anyway and using the greens already!). Just need white tyres for damp/dry and greens for wet.

Darren Boyle
17-10-2012, 09:33 PM
@dibble - Not sure what you menat by "BB tyres are also more expensive for members on a budget", the RRP of BB's (rears) is the same as Schumacher at £7.99 and slightly better pricing for our delaers on BB as opposed to others there is more likely to be good deals on BB's than any other brands.

As for raffle, we dont disclose the vaues etc, we want people to race at the clubs we sponsor because they want to and not just to try and win somthing in a raffle, but it is fact that the more racers who enter a series the larger our prize fund gets, you will just have to be there throughout the series and at the last round to see just how big it grows to

Also to be clear, the sponsorship is through our "X-factory UK" side of the business, our distribution side, not a DMS promo at all in any way (to benefit the shop directly), but instead it is one to promote XF UK and the brands we represent here in the UK. I stress this so as it is as fair as possible to all of our great dealers up and down the UK who all support and stock our products so well and will all be on hand to supply the required BB tyres too (and not just DMS) to the TORCH racers.

@Tony - the old boy talks sense, BB will be the "best" all round tyre and econimal in terms of wear too, who knows people may like Whites so much in the dry, you may all start to prefer them to Yellow, even in the summer/dry months (if they ever happen)

@Mark (Dragon Rider) like Steve, not took it as you were having a dig, alwasy assumed you were just seeking opinions and advice etc

@Mr Magoo, glad you like the Whites, thanks fort he kind words for DMS, we are proud to be associated with the club on this.

@Dan DHB, glad you lke the Whites and the longer wear rate too and as you say "what if it was a Schuey tyre?" sorted for the dry, then less so for the wet and slippery times, which is highly likely in a UK winter series....

Northern Monkey
17-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, always last to the party, but I'll put in my two peneth for what it's worth :D.

I can only echo really what my fellow committee members have said already. We as a committee, make the difficult decisions on behalf of the clubs membership to benefit the ongoing running of the club. I feel I have been fortunate to have contributed to the whirlwind development of Torch over the last 18 months. I have seen so much change and investment and its all been done for the benefit of the regular Torch racer.

Getting comments from both visiting racers and from the membership on any topic be it positive or constructive criticism is always welcome and necessary for us to run the best club that we can. As Chris has mentioned previously we have the AGM coming soon so if you want to raise anything or even put yourself forward for the committee come along, as we all know that clubs like ours need all the help they can get :)

BB whites and greens are really all you will need. Generally whites will last much longer than Schuey yellows before they go off so you will get more runs for your money. (Depending on how much you hammer the throttle... Daniel :p) I've run the whites for quite a while now and think they are great.

Looking forward to the winter series & more banter down the track ;)

mikeyscott
17-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I haven't tried the whites yet, so will be new to me. I do agree I get better wear from BBs.

I like others here have worked hard at torch since end of 2009. It's not easy, so we/I always have the best intentions. Yes I have got things wrong, but I hope people feel more things right. For me 2012 has been the toughest year yet. Club and other things, so I look forward to 2013.

Yes people take the piss re my post count and comms with people, but all in the name of TORCH. I'm planning on getting jimmy to wipe my post count and kill this account tbh as I think it no longer benefits TORCH

AGM details shortly.

If people need to contact us info@torchracing.org.uk which goes to all the committee. Equally people can email me direct.

Re X-Factory dealers I understand Inside Line are hoping to attend as many of the winter series as possible.

lordnikon
18-10-2012, 10:09 AM
What are people running 4wd fronts ?? Same colour as the rears for the conditions ??

mikeyscott
18-10-2012, 10:19 AM
What are people running 4wd fronts ?? Same colour as the rears for the conditions ??

I've always gone same compound all round with 4WD, but depends how "you" want you car to behave on track

MrMagoo
18-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Agreed, I typically match all round then trim spikes to get the feel right. I guess you could mix'n'match - white fronts with green rears could be interesting on a damp but dryng track if you want the front calmed down...

dibble34
18-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Darren, they may have an rrp of 7.99 but you must be aware if you shop around you can get schumachers for less. With regards to the raffle it would of been nice to have an idea of the kind of prizes that may be included, given I and others will be buying additional tyres for the event.

Just my opinion, appreciate I am not on the committee however so have no involvement in the decisions.

Darren Boyle
18-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Darren, they may have an rrp of 7.99 but you must be aware if you shop around you can get schumachers for less. With regards to the raffle it would of been nice to have an idea of the kind of prizes that may be included, given I and others will be buying additional tyres for the event.

Just my opinion, appreciate I am not on the committee however so have no involvement in the decisions.

Both brands have an RRP of £7.99 and BOTH brands are available for less if you shop around (not just Schumachers) or you can use discount codes provided for the club by certain dealers who support TORCH too, there is no differance, just need to broaden where you are looking for them.

On the raffle, we will uunveil what sort of prizes will be put in just prior to the last round when we have a clearer idea on numbers etc, none will be announced prior to then sadly. Not quite sure what you mean by "With regards to the raffle it would of been nice to have an idea of the kind of prizes that may be included, given I and others will be buying additional tyres for the event." Are you saying you wont buy new tyres if you dont like the prizes? I'm confused. Neither you or anyone will be dissapointed with what is on offer come the last round.

Also, as mentioned above, expected wear rate on BB's should be better for you (and everyone else attending too) so you will have to buy/use less most likely than the equivalent from Schuey you may have run with no control tyre in place. So all in all you should be far better off financially too - win-win situation :thumbsup:

InsideLineModels
18-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I'll be at the first (and hopefully all) rounds of the winter series, and will have plenty of BB tyres with me. I'll also have various 2wd front options which is an open tyre I beleive.

Don't forget you can alway take advantage of the discount code for our online shop. You can even order in advance and get me to bring them down there to save any postage fees! :)

Looking forward to an awesome race series from TORCH as always and I'm sure the raffle prizes from X factory UK will be epic! :thumbsup:

Kev

Briangb
18-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Guys. I too had reservations about the tyres, as like most people have been using the generally accepted Schu Yellow in dry, BB Green in wet. I have a reasonable stock of Schu tyres, so now need to buy some BB Whites. However, i have read all the comments about tyre life, and it all seems good. Also, if the committee have made a decision, I for one accept that is for the good of the club. In my relatively short time at TORCH, I cannot believe how far the club has come. This has not been achieved by making rash, short term decisions. Keep up the good work guys, and thanks for all your hard work and efforts in making 2012 such a successful year. Hopefully see you all on 28th October, as only get back from holiday the day before. DB1 at the ready.

Cammers
18-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi guys,
Just to mix it up a bit, are we going to be running stadium trucks? If so what BB tyres fit.:confused:

Darren Boyle
18-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi guys,
Just to mix it up a bit, are we going to be running stadium trucks? If so what BB tyres fit.:confused:

Sadly BB do truck tyres, but we are working with Steve from ther club regrads a possible tyre that may be good in the moits for trucks, whether it will become a control tyre or not I dont know, but doubt it will, I am sure the club will confirm

dibble34
18-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Both brands have an RRP of £7.99 and BOTH brands are available for less if you shop around (not just Schumachers) or you can use discount codes provided for the club by certain dealers who support TORCH too, there is no differance, just need to broaden where you are looking for them.

On the raffle, we will uunveil what sort of prizes will be put in just prior to the last round when we have a clearer idea on numbers etc, none will be announced prior to then sadly. Not quite sure what you mean by "With regards to the raffle it would of been nice to have an idea of the kind of prizes that may be included, given I and others will be buying additional tyres for the event." Are you saying you wont buy new tyres if you dont like the prizes? I'm confused. Neither you or anyone will be dissapointed with what is on offer come the last round.

Also, as mentioned above, expected wear rate on BB's should be better for you (and everyone else attending too) so you will have to buy/use less most likely than the equivalent from Schuey you may have run with no control tyre in place. So all in all you should be far better off financially too - win-win situation :thumbsup:

Hi Darren

If it is dry and ballistic was not a control tyre I would not need to buy any more tyres as I have plenty of yellow schumachers. As I understand it the club agreed to a control tyre of ballistic buggy based on the support/prizes offer by x-factory. All I meant was that as it is likely I will now need to by additional tyres due to the control tyre it would of been nice to know what sort of prizes were being offered.

As stated previously none of the above really affects me that much. However I know it will have an impact on some members and I suspect they are the ones who are unlikely to post on here.....

Like I said I will sit in the grumpy tent with pip :lol:

SteveB
18-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi Darren

If it is dry and ballistic was not a control tyre I would not need to buy any more tyres as I have plenty of yellow schumachers. As I understand it the club agreed to a control tyre of ballistic buggy based on the support/prizes offer by x-factory. All I meant was that as it is likely I will now need to by additional tyres due to the control tyre it would of been nice to know what sort of prizes were being offered.

As stated previously none of the above really affects me that much. However I know it will have an impact on some members and I suspect they are the ones who are unlikely to post on here.....

Dave

I far from think your grumpy but everyone has there right to an opinion and this only adds to the fact we are willing to debate or justify our decisions. I also supports the ability of its committee descisions. I will look forward to your proposals at the AGM, you will have some great insight to add to our options in the future.

Many drivers and yourself race weekly so I feel the use of the dry tyre option will have its time. Not wasted but delayed use! So from the short term point of view I can understand the demands on people's pockets. I'm not going to turn away a driver if they do not have the option on the day, we are far from hearlless. However they need to form part of the controlled tyre aspect for championship and end of season benefits.

I hope this helps

Steve

RobW
18-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Hmm, can I still sit in the grumpy tent even if I am happy with the BB tyres??:D:D

Rob

dibble34
18-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Cheers Steve, I appreciate that reply. Rob I suppose I better say yes as it is your tent :lol:

Crazy L
23-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Right, I have no beef at all with a control tyre, saves money which is needed, quite frankly, to buy simple shite like food and toilet rolls. That said, I wish you guys had said sooner as I've not long forked out for a set of Schu Greens to go on my 410, rubbish. Least they can sit nice n new in the packet for another season I guess. Have to buy another set now :thumbdown:

@ Cammers, iirc, Ballistic have never done a truck tyre.

@ Darren Boyle, re trucks: I've heard some J Concepts can be useful on wet astro, Any clarification of this?:confused:

Crazy L
23-10-2012, 08:18 PM
people take the piss re my post count and comms with people, but all in the name of TORCH. I'm planning on getting jimmy to wipe my post count and kill this account tbh as I think it no longer benefits TORCH

Awww, don't be like that Mikey, you're our cult hero for exactly that. I joined the Heliguy forum when I got my heli and there's a guy on there, would put you to shame mush, over 8ks worth of forum postage. I was always told that If you can laugh at yourself when people take the piss out of you then you'll have a better time than if you can't.

AGM details shortly.

Excellent, I'll be there again to make up the numbers and generally talk crap that no one will take a blind bit of notice of.:lol:

One thing though, different pub please, that last one was a bit "deliverance" :lol:.

Stuweatherman
23-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Might not make it to the first round as could be busy :yawn:

But have ordered some BB's for lesro models so if people do need some and don't fancy gluing them at the track then we should be getting them tomo. If I do make it then looking forward to it, if not i'll look forward to the next one I can make :D

hotrodchris
24-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Gents just to let everyone know BURGER VAN WILL be on site from approx 7am, so get brekkie on site!

paul whittock
26-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi I have just been down this weekend from Inverness to have a run on your track . My 1st impression were wow big , from a novice of this track I did find it to fast if you we're to add more features to slow down the track I think this would work well . Other than that awesome . Big thanks to glen,jay,mark,Chris. And anybody else I hassled for advise . See you all soon

mikeyscott
01-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Results update, they were online last weekend, but had a couple of errors which I have corrected today.

http://results.torchracing.co.uk/winter2012-2013/

Results section of the website is due for a revamp to correct the index files