PDA

View Full Version : Chris Doughty to drive for Atomic Carbon in 2007

OldTimer
18-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Chris will be running the S4 in the national series next year, as well as doing some testing / development and design work over the winter.

Welcome to the team Chris :thumleft:

jimmy
18-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Looks ace I have to say, I can't wait to see it in the flesh. I love that carbon tub chassis.:)

OldTimer
18-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes its the business, mega stiff and lighter than the old 5mm chassis. You cannot see on the photo, but the redesigned shock towers are also ace as well, and a lot more aerodynamic as well :)

jimmy
18-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Couldnt see the front one, but the rear looks nice. I'm really please to see you have such a good and well known driver on the team.

bert digler
18-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Yes its the business, mega stiff and lighter than the old 5mm chassis. You cannot see on the photo, but the redesigned shock towers are also ace as well, and a lot more aerodynamic as well :)

u gonna run them short shocks u showed me at dudley they where a sound idea

Chris Doughty
19-09-2006, 06:47 AM
its an option, but we just need to hit the right oil/piston combo, as the piston speed is so much slower in the short shocks its hard to get the pack how we would like it.

spring rate and travel are perfectly fine, its just the pack issue.

SCOTT DICKINSON
19-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Jonathan:)
will you sell this car as a complete car or a conversion?
or neither
Glad you have a very competetive driver to run it
maybe a potential worlds/euros winner(fingers crossed)

OldTimer
19-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Scott the plan at the moment is a conversion kit for the BJ4WE. Should be a fun year in 07 :)

DCM
19-09-2006, 06:34 PM
its an option, but we just need to hit the right oil/piston combo, as the piston speed is so much slower in the short shocks its hard to get the pack how we would like it.

TC pistons Chris??

Chris Doughty
19-09-2006, 08:24 PM
TC pistons Chris??

we are talking smaller hole than TC pistons

DCM
19-09-2006, 09:48 PM
crikey....

elvo
22-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Not gonna work... not in a million years.

Chris Doughty
22-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Not gonna work... not in a million years.

I am leaning to that conclution as well, but if you don't mind, give me some reasons why it would not work.

I like to gather everyones opinions, findings and theories.

elvo
25-09-2006, 08:15 AM
There's no way to get enough pack; the piston speed is just not there. You'd need ~ 0.5mm diam holes, probably even smaller, and super thin oil. And that doesn't work, because all the oil would pass on the side of the piston instead of through the holes. The tolerances on piston/housing are are way inconsistent on Losi shocks.

Chris Doughty
25-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I got some no hole pistsons I was going to try, but like you say, when you get down to really small holes tolerances become more of a factor.

like I said before, I am getting less and less convinced on the idea.

there is all ready a dialled normal shock setup that I am going to run a few times first to become familar with the car.

elvo
25-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Another reason: you need the oil volume of 'real' off-road shocks. Just to dissipate the heat and absorb the energy properly. And in order for your shock oil to stay fresh for more than 5 minutes :-)
There's a reason why Gil Jr designed the LST and 8ight with superhumongous shocks...

Chris Doughty
25-09-2006, 09:13 AM
how does the pred get away with it then?

DCM
25-09-2006, 09:21 AM
it uses cams to reduce the movement and speed of the piston I would of though.

elvo
25-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Pred shocks are not nearly as short as TC shocks!
Plus, like DCM mentioned, with the rocker system, you get a very, very progressive effect. Which means that pack and oil volume are not nearly as critical... it ends up being really stiff (with high pistons speed) near full compression anyway.
And I don't think preds have as much pack as other cars....
Pred pistons are interesting though, with the hole+slot system. I've tested them in Losi shocks. The diameter is more or less the same as a losi piston, but the pred pistons are seriously asymmetrical. (conical!) So I had to always use them with the large diam side up, which coincidentally has a big moulding lip :-s I found that although they feel interesting, with the slot, I couldn't get enough pack. Landing off jumps was difficult. I tried 1H1S, and 2H1S, IIRC. And also, with the asymmetric nature, that just feels weird in a 2WD.

how does the pred get away with it then?

Chris Doughty
25-09-2006, 10:40 AM
it uses cams to reduce the movement and speed of the piston I would of though.

but that is the problem, reduced speed of pistons.

anyway, shocks are an interesting topic! :D