PDA

View Full Version : One-way or Diff

awa0
21-09-2006, 08:02 AM
This year was my first one racing with a 4wd car (I previously raced 2wd for 8 years), and I have a problem.

I don't know when I must mount the one-way or the ball diff at front.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

sosidge
21-09-2006, 08:23 AM
This year was my first one racing with a 4wd car (I previously raced 2wd for 8 years), and I have a problem.

I don't know when I must mount the one-way or the ball diff at front.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

Not really a question of "must", more how it feels to you, and how the laptimes are.

Very basically, the one-way will give more steering. Downside is a loss of stability if the grip is low. Also, the front one-way gets put under a lot of strain on very bumpy tracks or if you clip the markings, whereas the diff is much more forgiving mechanically.

Don't forget that the ZX-5 has a centre one-way option too.

From my experience the car runs a lot better with the centre one-way than with the centre locked. I've only run the diff up front.

Some people like the front one-way, so why not give it a try!

Southwell
21-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Don't forget with a one way diff you only have the rear braking, whereas a normal diff would give 4wd braking.

awa0
21-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Not really a question of "must", more how it feels to you, and how the laptimes are.

Excuse my english... I whould said "should", or not? I feel that the car is more stable with front ball diff in bumpy tracks, and more steering with the one-way in high grip tracks, but I want to know why. I think it could be to have rear brake o full brake..perhaps?

From my experience the car runs a lot better with the centre one-way than with the centre locked. I've only run the diff up front.

What is the diference between mounting centre one-way or centre locked? (I didn't tryed this setup)

Excuse me my stupid questions, but the zx-5's manual does not explain anythings (like Losi's manual), and this is my first year in 4wd.

Thank you!!!

andreasH
21-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Excuse me my stupid questions, but the zx-5's manual does not explain anythings (like Losi's manual)...
I fully agree at this point. Good instructions for setup and using option parts are only found from other manufacturers.

I tried the one-way front and center but switched to front diff and locked center again. The car is easier to drive for me with this setup.
Using one-way I had problems with the break.

I am a complete beginner (last time I drove RC cars is 20 years ago) and so I gave several setups a try. In my opinion that is the best way to find out how the car reacts when changing something.

KyoshoK
22-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Don't forget that the ZX-5 has a centre one-way option too.

where in the manual does it explain how to put the one way in the center? i cant seem to find it.

do you need to buy extra parts not already included in the kit?

notlawnomis
22-09-2006, 09:42 AM
The manual is very poor when compared to some out there now, i had the same problem, but you should have one of these with your kit that directly replaces the oneway unit.

notlawnomis
22-09-2006, 09:46 AM
And these for the oneway set up

awa0
28-09-2006, 09:43 AM
All right, I have tryed centre one-way and centre locked.

With one-way in the centre, the car nose up over jumps. Without brake on the front the car is unstable in bumpy tracks. Afterwards I tryed centre locked, and the car is stable and jumps better.

Then, I will try one-way feature in the future in high grip tracks.

Thanks a lot.

(Excuse me my english again)

BWY
26-10-2006, 11:17 AM
The manual is very poor when compared to some out there now, i had the same problem, but you should have one of these with your kit that directly replaces the oneway unit.

Those are the parts for Step 21 on page 17 ?
In Step 21, there are two diagrams, the left one is "For differential specifications" and the right one is "For front one-way specification".

So you meant the left diagram > centre one-way
the right diagram > centre locked ?

jim76
26-10-2006, 11:47 AM
yes, that's right.

i only ever run with a centre one-way and front diff. The front one-way diff was too aggressive.