PDA

View Full Version : Removing old tyres...

V6Jim
14-10-2012, 06:43 PM
How do you remove old tyres from your rims? I've heard (might be a joke) that you put them in the oven!?

Let's hear your own best removal methods.....

Jimmy

Brewskie
14-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I like the acetone option, simple an easy 😀

metalmickey0
14-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I stick mine in a saucepan of boiling water for an hour or so. It makes the superglue go brittle.
Obviuosly makeing sure it doesnt boil dry

JCJC
14-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Steam em, boil em, xxxx em........... put them in an airtight pot, paint kettle, with half inch of acetone and leave to soak in the fumes for a few days, rubber peels away. Cut off some of the tyre before soaking unless........

and be careful with acetone.

Edit: oven removed - sorry

bigred5765
14-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I like the acetone option, simple an easy ��Acetone is the way to go indeed

Crazy L
14-10-2012, 07:55 PM
+1 for the acetone method. Never looked back.

Hpi_guy
14-10-2012, 08:18 PM
DO NOT BAKE, putting in the oven releases cyanide, boil is cheapest and quickest

bigred5765
14-10-2012, 09:43 PM
DO NOT BAKE, putting in the oven releases cyanide, boil is cheapest and quickest

lol and that releases it in to the pan and air,but not as bad as over

Hpi_guy
14-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Boiling doesn't have the safe effect on the glue as baking, boiling dissolves the glue, giving off no harmful gasses

shark
14-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Just acetone them dude .

bigred5765
14-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Boiling doesn't have the safe effect on the glue as baking, boiling dissolves the glue, giving off no harmful gasses
as already said acetone is the lesser of the evils.
ps dissolving super glue in water is then released in steam coming of the water.

mpg200
15-10-2012, 07:48 AM
My favourite is acetone, but if i'm in a hurry I bake them, 180C for 8 mins then just pop em off the rims. Yes it smells a bit, so make sure the wife doesn't catch you, close all doors in house and open the kitchen windows. But really not recommended, i'm just impatient sometimes and go for it. acetone is preferred method.

crtpromachine
15-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Accetone all the way for me does exactly what it says on the tin

Removes all the tyre nice and cleanley

Removes all the glue

No damge to inserts so can re use them

No damage to the wheels so can re use these to

haggis
15-10-2012, 02:14 PM
The missus gets me the cheapest acetone nail polish remover out of superdrug

Think its 2.99 for half a litre and its lasted about 6 months.

Its kept in an old ice cream tub under the sink, and i usually leave them 2 or 3 days but the longernthe better

KennyClark
15-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Acetone in a bucket Jimmy.
Im doing a batch as we speak in the shed!

morpheus2010
15-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I use acetone (don't need a lot ) in a small plastic tub with a lid and leave it overnight.

The tyres are soft and just peel off by hand :thumbsup:

Just don't breathe the fumes :cry:

Belsten
15-10-2012, 06:28 PM
another vote for acetone here

alex97
15-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I think baking is best quick and easy but you have got to keep your eyes on them

V6Jim
15-10-2012, 06:40 PM
So, with the acetone, do you have to submerge them? Or do you just have a little in the bottom of a tub and do one side at a time. How long do you leave them for?

Jimmy

shark
15-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Just a little in the bottom of a air tight container leave for 24/48 hrs . All good .

jaffacake
15-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Mr Belsten's acetone...it's a great 'solution' : )

Loheswaran
04-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Does baking damage the actual tyre and wheel? or does it just break down the cynoacrylate glue?

I have used the method, but I have just started racing - in the long run I want to use a method that will allow the re-use of tyres and wheels

bigred5765
04-11-2012, 07:00 AM
not only is baking bad for the wheel and tire, but it also releases poisions vapours which contaminates everything it touches,

cornishboy176
04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
+1 for Acetone :thumbsup:

Jason A
04-11-2012, 09:44 AM
My friend used to do the acetoning off my old wheels any way since I got more cars now and more wheels I thought I best start doing it myself.

I went to the pound shop and got a sandwich box which has got the rubber type sealed lid.

I pour in some acetone enough to make it over the first rim when wheels are put in box.

Make sure you trim tyres back as much as you can first.

Seal box lid with wheels in and then leave well alone for 48hrs :-)

Come back to the box and the tyres should just peel off easily :-)

Once tyres are all off wheels I reput them back in box with the acetone for another 24hrs to remove any glue left on wheels then wash the wheels under tap water and hay presto job done :-)

Then either leave your acetone in the box or restore back in the original bottle.

RichGtB
24-11-2012, 05:18 PM
I read many of the methods on here for removing tires as I have never done it before.

I thought about the acetone method but didnt have any. So I trundled off to the kitchen to quickly try the boil method that people had suggested. I grabbed an old pan, put the tires in, covered them with water, put on a lid and boiled them for just 20 minutes. I had all windows open and the extractor fan on as I got paranoid over the cyanide people mentioned.

After the twenty minutes, filled up a bowl with cold water, emptied the boiling water down the sink and then dunked the tires in the bowl of cold water.

The tires then easily cracked off as others had said, and i used a small flat bladed screw driver to just pick/crack off the few remaining rubber bits from the rim, which was just a very small amount.

All in all, it took just 30 mins and the rims still look in great condition.

Still havnt tried the acetone method though.

Wes99
08-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Boil them is easiest way bring the water in the pan to boiling point drop your wheels in 15 minutes turn over again 15 minutes take them out let them cool for a minute then with my hand just push the tyre off the rim I've just done 4 tonight and the tyres didn't even rip no bits of tyre left on the rims Ive just glued the new tyres on for tomorrow all done in less than an hour acetone takes ages

Wes

V6Jim
09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Boil them is easiest way bring the water in the pan to boiling point drop your wheels in 15 minutes turn over again 15 minutes take them out let them cool for a minute then with my hand just push the tyre off the rim I've just done 4 tonight and the tyres didn't even rip no bits of tyre left on the rims Ive just glued the new tyres on for tomorrow all done in less than an hour acetone takes ages

Wes

Boiled mine last night. trimmed off the tyres with scissors, pulled off the sponge, popped in a pan, boiled for 15mins, tipped them out and peeled off the bits of tyre that were left. Easy and quick. Cleans the wheels too!

Jimmy

TARTMAN
09-12-2012, 09:27 PM
boiling, to many issues, the vapour, kitchen, smells, wife, etc.

I acetone, but use pure acetone from a trade beauty place, costs a little more but after only 24 hours, the rubber and glue just falls off. airtight container(£1 shop) or ice cream container etc. put a couple of MM of the devils brew and does it with no hassels.

I did boil once, but stank and felt dangerous etc. and also the wife lol...

just pop in the container come back the next day or so and all done. and the acetone can be used again and again. its the fumes that do the job!

done.

danmurphy
22-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Do you sit the wheels and tyres above the acetone, since it is just the fumes that break the glue down?

bigred5765
22-12-2012, 06:25 PM
no the acetone takes it of as well, i just cut the tyres of and dunk the rims, leave them in a air tight container in the garden till i need them,

neiloliver
29-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I have to agree with bigRed, acetone is the way to go and is far better than any other method. Have you considered the cost of boiling water in a cauldron for 20 minutes? the acetone will pay for itself many times over and requires no effort.. simply cut off the main tyre section, dunk, leave 24 hours, remove bead, dunk, leave for another 24 hours (if required) and your done.

Gazzabruv105
10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry to ask but just want to clarify this. If I find an airtight container to hold all four container wheels, I put them in the container and then exactly how much acetone do I pour into the tub. Would it be for example a cap full or are we talking pour until say half inch deep inside the tub. I take it that its the fumes and not the soaking that helps remove the tyres from the rim.

Cheers.

luniemiester
10-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I cut all the old tyre off just leaving the bit that's glued on and remove insert then put fill the container about 1/2 full. The put the wheels in so that the outside faces the bottom so that the acetone sits inside the wheel and the weight helps hold them down then i top up so that there under by about 10mm. Leave overnight and then should be done

Allan1875
19-01-2013, 03:37 PM
What glue do folk use for their wheels?

K-Brewer
19-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I just use normal super glue

mattr
19-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Sorry to ask but just want to clarify this. If I find an airtight container to hold all four container wheels, I put them in the container and then exactly how much acetone do I pour into the tub. Would it be for example a cap full or are we talking pour until say half inch deep inside the tub. I take it that its the fumes and not the soaking that helps remove the tyres from the rim.

Cheers.I just put about half a cm in the bottom and then leave it until I remember about it.

Belsten
19-01-2013, 10:08 PM
What glue do folk use for their wheels?

Nuclear RC glue is the only glue :wub

bigred5765
19-01-2013, 10:40 PM
i sell tubs in loads of different sizes from 5ltr up to 25ltr £5 up to £15
what i use is a 20ltr air tight container with 5ltrs of pure acetone in, cut the tires of and leave them in there till i need some rims the bit left on just peels of but get your selfs some merrygolds or something similar dont put your hands in the stuff,
ps i found boiling rims took them of but my rims tended to crack alot, since changing over to acetone, not so much