PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho RB6 vs Kyosho Vega

Neil78
15-10-2012, 04:08 PM
As per the title has anyone owned both of these cars and how do they compare. Thanks

Dudders
15-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Awaiting delivery of a Vega RB5 as I couldn't get hold of an RB6 for the right money. Seller is going to RB6.

Heard mixed views from awesome, to not really setting the track on fire.

I'll start with the vega, see how it goes and then maybe RB6 it next year and use it rear motor configuration.

RudeTony
15-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Not sure what or who Neil D is referring to but the RB6 is a great car straight out of the box,,,,,,,,

Both cars are good - what is it you want to compare?

Dudders
15-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Nothing bad uncle T! Just couldn't get an RB6 in time for when I wanted a car, so gone for a 2nd hand Vega RB5 until I get the RB6 :thumbsup:

andoiwebb
15-10-2012, 07:37 PM
I've not seen a happy face after a race from an rb6 driver, i'm sure there's more to come from it, but i'll be sticking with the vega and trying various rb6 parts on it, best of both worlds and much less plastic.

xfactor
15-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Neil, i havent owned a rb6 but have owned all kyosho buggies going back to the lazer zx in around 1989/90 ish so the quality will be there with the rb6.Must say have to agree with andioweeble on the happy face side.I own a vega gen2 kyosho rb5 WC and had the gen1,yet to run the gen2 but all i can say is the vega rb5 is a awesome car on all tracks and surfaces and its the fastest ive been since going back to 1/10 electric.

Vega for me all the :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MSH
15-10-2012, 08:17 PM
come on Smasher, you know you'll get a Vega! :cool:

Duncan
15-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Nothing bad uncle T! Just couldn't get an RB6 in time for when I wanted a car, so gone for a 2nd hand Vega RB5 until I get the RB6 :thumbsup:
i cant belive you have gone too the dark side ( 2WD )

Fabs
15-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I've not seen a happy face after a race from an rb6 driver, i'm sure there's more to come from it, but i'll be sticking with the vega and trying various rb6 parts on it, best of both worlds and much less plastic.

That's because you haven't seen MY face every time I drive it, or anyone who's tried mine.

RB6 is just plain awesome :thumbsup:

njc11
15-10-2012, 08:56 PM
That's because you haven't seen MY face every time I drive it, or anyone who's tried mine.

Have to agree with you there fab!

Ran RB6 yesterday and the car is awesome! Your MCS is the only other car I would ever run should I revert back.. I've tried many other kyosho based cars and these 2 are by far the best out there in my opinion

A couple of people drove my car before the finals yesterday and 1 of them has bought one from us (JE) today! The other from what I gathered was VERY impressed!

If you buy an RB6 you will be impressed! I can't understand from my first impressions how anyone could not have a big grin on there face!

Ive emailed my set up sheet to Arno at petit so i would say it should be on there very soon!

:)

Rich D
15-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I think Tony speaks sense here. They are both great cars. My opinion is that different surfaces suit different chassis layouts and maybe driving styles but theres not massive advantages to be gained. I tried nicks RB6 yesterday and thought it was easy to drive on the unique surface we race on at Worksop. I was impressed its true. Sadly wasn't in a position to test it back to back with my own vega car though as I was running 4wd only. I've ran a vega rb5 at a competent national f2 level for over a year now and it has yet to disappoint me on any surface. Im sure id be pretty much the same pace if i ran the RB6. It's not going to get me a national a final on its own. Some people expect too much from a change of chassis. It's almost all about the driving. That's why it's the same names that crop up at the top of the leader boards time after time and why the oOple trade section is always flooded with cars that have only done a handful of runs :woot:

tomtom
15-10-2012, 10:28 PM

I can testify on that one, Fabs was sold on it at the first run and he's not a happy face all the time kind of dude :p

I couldn't agree more after my first race with this car and I ran a Vega gen1 and gen2.

RogerM
16-10-2012, 06:21 AM
I might have been one of those unhappy faces but that was because I had mad the mistake stated above. Put the car back to standard configuration & BOOM back to awesome again! I made the setup error & had been awake for 13 hours by the time I ran my final following two 20 hour days before so was unable to concentrate.

No car is going to perform well if the drive is asleep at the sticks :)

Stick with the suggested configuration and you will have a car that makes you smile every time you run it :)

Fabs
16-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Roger,

I run my car saddles at the back and it's been great. I'm not sure what's been wrong with yours like that? Yet to try anything else, but I will at some point.

IMHO with the RB6, Kyosho have taken all the good bits of the cars that are already out there and put them together. It has the front end that every mid motor RB5 lacks, but still keeps the composure of all the RB5 mid motors. It jumps better than any 2WD buggy I've seen/driven, especially the reaction to steering inputs in the air is plain awesome, which is uncommon with 2WD buggies due to the low weight of the front wheels. I'm sure it's equally as good in rear motor form.

What I'm trying to say is, if you can afford the RB6, it is well worth the money. Besides, RB5 parts are now bond to be less and less stocked by shops and distributors, which makes it an easy pick for me.

RogerM
16-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Fabs, I just found that the car wasn't as smooth through the corners with the cells butted up against the motor guard and the ESC forward behind the servo.

It felt like the car pushed into the corner, snatched abit through the apex and then pushed on the way out again. Almost like it wasn't tracing a single arc but 3 separate ones if that makes sense. Nothing changes in springing / damping would cure, definitely felt like a weight transfer related thing.

With the electronics aranged as per the manual (servo, cells, esc, motor) it was much more consistent into-through-out of the corner. Loads of steering but very predictable with it. It feels like it hardly transfers any weight fore-aft and what it does transfer it does progressively.

The stock RB6 is just about perfect for me, love the steering and the fact in generates brilliant traction too but most of all it has that sense of "balance" which is so essential for giving confidence.

The Chef
16-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I have had The Vega Rb 5 in all it's guises. I now have the RB6 and I think that there is no comparison. I can get lots of on power steering and the car is very forgiving. I'm running quicker than I ever have with the RB6 I'm so glad I made the change. I won't be looking back.

Adam F
16-10-2012, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Fabs;704317] IMHO with the RB6, Kyosho have taken all the good bits of the cars that are already out there and put them together. It has the front end that every mid motor RB5 lacks, but still keeps the composure of all the RB5 mid motors. It jumps better than any 2WD buggy I've seen/driven...QUOTE]

What he said...!!

Exactly my thoughts, the vega was awesome, but I could never make it turn like I wanted.. The RB6 takes all the positives, but has bags of mid corner steering...

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Will have to get round to building mine lol.

Only been sat in the car boot for a number of weeks lol

DB1 isn't going anywhere

Skye
16-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Just reading this thread whilst considering the pros and cons of a DB1 vs RB6, and I see that half of you on here have both..... :blush:

Thats just greedy! :p

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Just reading this thread whilst considering the pros and cons of a DB1 vs RB6, and I see that half of you on here have both..... :blush:

Thats just greedy! :p

Best of both worlds ;)

My Vega is at TORCH, so prob could borrow that too.

Believe I have your old lazer too ;)

Skye
16-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Best of both worlds ;)

True. But when I currently own zero Kyosho cars or parts then the likelihood of me getting both is somewhere between slim and none, so unfortunately I am going to have to make a choice.... I would normaly say RB6 in a heart beat as the better all-rounder, but when Silverstone is your local like it is for me then there is a case to be made for the DB1.... :eh?:

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 04:36 PM
True. But when I currently own zero Kyosho cars or parts then the likelihood of me getting both is somewhere between slim and none, so unfortunately I am going to have to make a choice.... I would normaly say RB6 in a heart beat as the better all-rounder, but when Silverstone is your local like it is for me then there is a case to be made for the DB1.... :eh?:

DB1 ;)

Skye
16-10-2012, 06:16 PM
I tend to agree, but then whilst Silverstone will be where I race 90% of the time I am also entered in the Stotfold winter series which is always damp and slippery....:eh?:

coleman758
16-10-2012, 07:01 PM
DB1 ;)

Yep, DB1, Gets my vote!

Adam F
16-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I dont think its that clear cut, the track changes quite a bit week on week so both cars come into their own... and are stronger in different area's..

tomtom
16-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I've got both DB1 and RB6 (after running the two Vega since May 2011).

I love my DB1, always got comments on how well it jumps/carry speed in any corner. I can really take advantage on a dry grippy astro, bumpy or not, it is very noticeable on some parts of the track. It jumps very well too, always balanced. It works too when track is a little wet (or drying) but for me it was hard to put power properly when track was fully wet. I liked Ballistic greens on the rear for that but I can't use those at Nationals and I've not found a good setup/tires to be comfortable in those conditions for my limited driving skills.

Hence the RB6 that might be a good car for all track, nicely updated from the RB5 (lots of small things I'm very happy about as a RB5 user) and useable on dirt tracks running RM. So far one race on slippery condition and I liked it very much, very stable yet precise with a better weight distribution than a Vega gen2 and that's with a base setup.

So I might run the RB6 on every track but dry astro and carpet where the DB1 can outrun any car.
Weather was pretty bad here in France this year so most races on astro got their share of rain and moist. Hope 2013 will be better as I enjoy a lot pushing the DB1 to its limits on grippy tracks.

andoiwebb
16-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Don't think Neil is interested in a db1

Adam F
16-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Don't think Neil is interested in a db1

If you are looking at K cars it would be silly not to consider the DB1 as well...

coleman758
16-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I dont think its that clear cut, the track changes quite a bit week on week so both cars come into their own... and are stronger in different area's..

I agree!

The DB1 is going to be untouchable on High Grip.
But the RB6/Vegas should be good on the lower grip tracks.

I reckon the 2013 season will tell.

xfactor
16-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I thought the question asked was Kyosho RB6 vs Kyosho Vega cant see where it asks about DB1 ? Or am i missing it.

Adam F
16-10-2012, 09:03 PM
He didn't... thread got a bit hijacked half way through..

However its worth considering...

tomtom
16-10-2012, 09:13 PM
That was just me hijacking the thread, sorry :blush:

Point was to explain what I thought about running all these Kyosho based design since 2011 as an average driver.

RB6/Vega ? I would choose the first one for sure as I explained, weight distribution is better, the car is designed around BB without lacking vivacity and overall the car feels way more robust (chassis/posts first but almost all the plastics have been made beefier and stronger too).
Plus you could buy all the parts almost everywhere, even a local store.

I have to admit I love the Vega chassis/gearbox and the exclusivity of such a car.

Neil78
17-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all your reply's chaps even the info on the DB1 I would seriously consider the DB1 if I could find one at the right price as most of my racing this winter is at Silverstone club high grip astro.Going back to the original topic both cars seem very capable and seems a good mix of positive feedback for both RB6 and Vega think I will get track side at an outdoor track and see if I can see them go around together and then make my mind up.

andoiwebb
17-10-2012, 01:38 PM
i would let you have a go with mine, but i've seen you drive!

Al3xis007
19-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Loved my vega rb5, it's one of my fav cars, I tried the rb6 and after 2 meetings i concluded its a bit harder to drive (cause its not set up well enough) but its def faster over 1 lap than the rb5 vega so far