PDA

View Full Version : Crazy 1st heat lately

jaffacake
15-10-2012, 07:43 PM
This post is not aimed at anyone in particular nor is it a worthless rant but two weeks ago to say heat 1 on the whole was just a total shambles with no regard for marshals safety or other racers cars would be an understatement
I understand that the majority of the drivers were newbies and or children but I was hit at least three times in the legs whilst I was trying to Marshall other cars, then screamed at for not marshalling quick enough due to the carnage on track
My 8 year old is pestering me to get her kit & let her race but I wouldn't consider spending good money on kit to let it get trashed by someone else's non sensical driving, ie- smashing into an upturned car waiting to be marshalled
Scenes like these cant be good for visitors to the club looking to join or race at the club
Maybe a reminder on track etiquette at a drivers briefing wouldn't go a miss
There were a few other racers who commented similar to the above on that Friday night, I'm not sure if anything was mentioned
As I have said this post is no way aimed at anyone inparticular.
That's all folks
Steve Morgan

blue_pinky
16-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Steve,

Your definitely not alone in your observations, and the club is well aware!

Your totally right, carnage is only word that can accurately describe what goes on in that heat sometimes, so we will try and do something to rectify it accordingly.

I guess the challenge for us as a club is try and promote the sport to the next generation as much as we can, but without then taking the fun out of it, and alienating them, as I'm sure you'll agree.

The balance is there to find though, and we need to find a way to make our vital new comers both aware of the rules, the etiquette and respect needed to 'race' AND keep fun at the core of it as well.

Maybe the best thing we can do would be to instate regular race briefings, and gently instill the basics of the rules each week, or at least regularly, and see how that goes.

When its one or two mixing with the 'grown ups' it seems to be fine, but when a lot of younger newbies race together the respect and general race craft def goes out of the window!

Leave it with us, see what we can do :)

Angelface
16-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree with you Steve, carnage is the only way to describe it.
How are the legs? Didn't realise you had a 8 years old girl thought you had son

zoaman
16-10-2012, 02:50 PM
i have thought about this for a few hours since i first read the post and havent made a hastley decision.
Well i never knew that you where the best driver about.and as for the "CARNAGE" as you call it,maybe sometimes yes there is drivers at fault. but for some of use that will prob never get any better for the likes of me from the use of my hands. i think that it is totally unacceptable.Also might i add that i think it was me that struck you with my car as you where creeping along the wall.it was at that time that i raised my hand and said that i was sorry for the incident,only to be greeted with fowl language in return that i never made a fuss about(but i noted it to my son).so i think that on this note i may sell up and pursue another hobby.might i also add that y didnt you have a quite word in somebodies ear, rather than broadcast it making us look like idiots.

leeboy44
16-10-2012, 03:19 PM
steve posted this 19 hours ago and your kit has been for sale for weeks???

steve is not saying hes the best driver but fairs fair mate to be hit in the leg once is bad but 3 times is going abit over bored

zoaman
16-10-2012, 03:26 PM
funny you should say that but i drive a b44 and have for sale a losi mini 8 for sale because i didnt want to go into there micro class as im not good enough.so i was to take the option to be put into the heat with the lesser experienced drivers

leeboy44
16-10-2012, 03:28 PM
funny you should say that but i drive a b44 and have for sale a losi mini 8 for sale because i didnt want to go into there micro class as im not good enough.so i was to take the option to be put into the heat with the lesser experienced drivers

i take it back then

peetbee
16-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I would just like to add that if anyone has any concerns about driving or marshall safety (no matter which heat they are in) then please don't hesitate to say something to Andy, myself or Craig.
Equally if you feel that we have put you in the wrong heat we can sort it out.

Driving and marshalling standards are things that are difficult to police, but when we are made aware it gives us the chance to make things right.
We just want everyone to enjoy their racing.

Teaboy
16-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Now i dont want to stir a hornets nest but here are my thoughts on how to help this situation. Senior members in the club should maybe take new members and ones that want some hints and take them under their wing, maybe stand with them on the rostrum on driving tips and standing with them to marshal to help them along on what to do and what not to do.

Im prepared to do this to encourage the new members, it does not matter how old they are but my driving tips will probably make them worse :blush:

Cheers

Rich

jaffacake
16-10-2012, 05:36 PM
i have thought about this for a few hours since i first read the post and havent made a hastley decision.
Well i never knew that you where the best driver about.and as for the "CARNAGE" as you call it,maybe sometimes yes there is drivers at fault. but for some of use that will prob never get any better for the likes of me from the use of my hands. i think that it is totally unacceptable.Also might i add that i think it was me that struck you with my car as you where creeping along the wall.it was at that time that i raised my hand and said that i was sorry for the incident,only to be greeted with fowl language in return that i never made a fuss about(but i noted it to my son).so i think that on this note i may sell up and pursue another hobby.might i also add that y didnt you have a quite word in somebodies ear, rather than broadcast it making us look like idiots.

I don't understand ?? Why is my comment on calling the heat 'carnage'? Totally unacceptable to you ? It's not a personal attack on anyone personally, merely an observation of what I witnessed, as I said in my 1st post the standard of piss poor respect for the marshals was not only witnessed by myself but by others who commented on the night, I won't mention names,as if they feel cause to comment on here they will
As for 'me being the best driver about' I didn't say or think for one minute that I am, but I do know I am more than happy anyone new to the rc scene,or anyone for that matter
How has my post made you 'look like idiots'? I don't understand
I genuinely only have the clubs interests & my own personal safety in mind, that is why I have posted, no other reason
I couldn't tell you if you were the one who drove into me,I don't know you
And yes I did shout towards the rostrum SLOW DOWN,SLOW DOWN!!
Did anyone slow down?...NO!!...but was I hit at least another two times...YES!!
I'm not getting into a war of words on here
I think what Andy has posted has hit the nail on the head,enough said.

jaffacake
16-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Now i dont want to stir a hornets nest but here are my thoughts on how to help this situation. Senior members in the club should maybe take new members and ones that want some hints and take them under their wing, maybe stand with them on the rostrum on driving tips and standing with them to marshal to help them along on what to do and what not to do.

Im prepared to do this to encourage the new members, it does not matter how old they are but my driving tips will probably make them worse :blush:

Cheers

Rich
Good idea Rich

Body Paint
16-10-2012, 09:15 PM
This post is not aimed at anyone in particular nor is it a worthless rant but two weeks ago to say heat 1 on the whole was just a total shambles with no regard for marshals safety or other racers cars would be an understatement
I understand that the majority of the drivers were newbies and or children but I was hit at least three times in the legs whilst I was trying to Marshall other cars, then screamed at for not marshalling quick enough due to the carnage on track
My 8 year old is pestering me to get her kit & let her race but I wouldn't consider spending good money on kit to let it get trashed by someone else's non sensical driving, ie- smashing into an upturned car waiting to be marshalled
Scenes like these cant be good for visitors to the club looking to join or race at the club
Maybe a reminder on track etiquette at a drivers briefing wouldn't go a miss
There were a few other racers who commented similar to the above on that Friday night, I'm not sure if anything was mentioned
As I have said this post is no way aimed at anyone inparticular.
That's all folks
Steve Morgan

As Pete said this is something that has been discussed within the committee over the last two weeks, rest assured we have a plan and hope to nurture rather than rant. We have tried ranting and it clearly does not work.

Thanks for the offer Rich, this is the kind idea we have in mind and we might well get you involved ;-)