PDA

View Full Version : Indoor winter racing near Southampton - within an hour and half drive

Superstar
15-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi,

There must be places? Moved down recently from Sheffield. I have raced at TORCH and Surrey and hants. They were great tracks but up north you get to the end of the summer and look forward to the indoor season then end of winter you look forward to going back outdoors. Seems like everyone racers outdoors all year round down here?

Before anyone says man up race outdoors its not for me. I cant stand racing in the freezing cold getting all your racing gear muddy, sorry to anyone who loves it just not my cupppa tea.

So is there anywhere? If not would anyone support an indoor venue in Hampshire for 1/10 off road?

Look forward to replies, in dire straights here :p

Dudders
15-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Indoor venue in Hampshire would seriously affect torch and SHRCCC.

Support your local clubs all year round....

Darren Boyle
15-10-2012, 09:09 PM
We race indoors every Thursday night at Watford, from 8pm until 11pm, classes for 2wd, 4wd, trucks (stadium and/or SC - if enough numbers) and micro. We generally get around 4 to 5 heats (approx 20-30 racers) per week, we run open practice at the start of the night, 3 rounds of qualifying and finals for all on an "off road" indoor carpet track

More info and booking in via our website - www.dmsresult.co.uk (http://www.dmsresult.co.uk).

You have also got Taplow on Fridays and may find some useful info on this thread HERE (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111688) showing the "racing days" compiled by Mick Jackson (JCJC)

Superstar
15-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I went back up to race at worksop at the weekend as I do the series every year. I was planning on going up to every round but its just too far. I have looked into other series but they are nearly as far and I have the option to stay with Fam after worksop so I dont have to drive all the way home after racing.

I was chatting to mates up there and they find it just as alien as me that there is no indoor racing down here. Winters here are FREEZING and like I said its just not for me racing outdoors.

Plus to race outside you need generators (I know Surrey and Hants have power) gazeboes other wise you just get wet or wind swept. I have to stress the people have been very welcoming at both clubs but as Im new to the area its awkward asking to go onto their power, sit in their gazeboes and I cant afford to be buying all this stuff. Plus the tyre costs. I like to be as competitive as I can be so need to have all the tyres but its just so expensive having all the different compounds and types of tyre.

Indoors you have one set of tyres which work and last weeks for club racing.

But getting back to the point be nice to have at least a once a month series at an indoor venue!

I know what you mean about supporting clubs and I have done my fair share over around 15 years racing. But in the north we manage to have outdoor and indoor clubs so why cant it be done here? Batley in yorkshire run the summer at their outdoor venue then winter in their indoor venue. Why would it be such a problem down here?

Darren Boyle
15-10-2012, 09:25 PM
I went back up to race at worksop at the weekend as I do the series every year. I was planning on going up to every round but its just too far. I have looked into other series but they are nearly as far and I have the option to stay with Fam after worksop so I dont have to drive all the way home after racing.

I was chatting to mates up there and they find it just as alien as me that there is no indoor racing down here. Winters here are FREEZING and like I said its just not for me racing outdoors.

Plus to race outside you need generators (I know Surrey and Hants have power) gazeboes other wise you just get wet or wind swept. I have to stress the people have been very welcoming at both clubs but as Im new to the area its awkward asking to go onto their power, sit in their gazeboes and I cant afford to be buying all this stuff. Plus the tyre costs. I like to be as competitive as I can be so need to have all the tyres but its just so expensive having all the different compounds and types of tyre.

Indoors you have one set of tyres which work and last weeks for club racing.

But getting back to the point be nice to have at least a once a month series at an indoor venue!

I know what you mean about supporting clubs and I have done my fair share over around 15 years racing. But in the north we manage to have outdoor and indoor clubs so why cant it be done here? Batley in yorkshire run the summer at their outdoor venue then winter in their indoor venue. Why would it be such a problem down here?

The biggest issue down here is the cost of the halls sadly. We used to run a very large winter "series" in Watford ourselves once a month on a sunday for many years, but the hall costs for a Worksop sized hall down here are anywhere between £600/1000 per day and it is not viable at that price.

Another option for you may be Maritime in Chatham, Kent, their new permanent indoor venue opens its doors later this month and will be awesome, but not sure how far that would be for you.

mikeyscott
15-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Taplow Friday night?

Silverstone winter series?

I'm planning TORCH, EPR and maybe Silverstone for indoors.

Will prob end up TORCH though lol - in reality it'll be off road wars in Feb and that'll be it.

Superstar
15-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. With work I can only do sundays.

According to google maps maritime is around 2 hours 20 mins from southampton. Sheffield takes me roughly 3 hours thats why I decided to do worksop but its too far really.

I mean say for example the winter outdoors I presume its dark, icey and freezing cold? I just dont see the fun in that! Maybe iv had it too easy and have been spoilt for choice up my way :p

My last local club was at York. Indoor half carpet half slippy floor, its awesome! It isnt a massive venue but saturday night club meetings are great. Batley is really the same but run sundays. Would people not be interested in this type os thing?

Dudders
15-10-2012, 09:45 PM
On Sunday, we arrived in gloves and coats with a thick frost on the ground.... By 9.30am we had just T Shirts on, I kid you not. So long as the sun is out and it's dry, winter racing is not all bad outdoors.

Halls down here at £35 per hour min, so we'd need 10 hours to run, not viable unless you have 100 drivers for every meeting. we ran indoors last winter as we ran on grass then, it's bloody hard work to shift and layout so I'll never do it again!

If clubs who run outdoors throughout winter do not get people racing at them, it's sad to say they might not be there when the sun shines the following summer......

Try it, you might like it. What happened to 'Ard Northern lads?, all shandy drinkers now maybe....

jaywestwood
16-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I would like to see a good sized indoor venue in Hampshire as i believe with the amount of racers that feel the same as you do and dont want to drive 2/3 hours for a good venue. I have a hall that a friend of mine would let me have at a good price but its then the need for carpet/jumps etc and then the storage for it all.. If something opened i would be there supporting it as we have nothing locally apart from 2 excellent outdoor venues..

Just my 2p

Cheers Jay

stumpiey
16-10-2012, 05:59 PM
there was one in newbury, but as others have said costs killed it off, may have lasted with a few more drivers

lordnikon
16-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I must admit as much as i love torch and the top job that the guys do i find it a real drag outside when its cold. Thought about finding a suitable barn or something that could be used and then proposing to the torch guys about looking into options but there isn't much around not being used for cheap unfortunately

Superstar
16-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I would like to see a good sized indoor venue in Hampshire as i believe with the amount of racers that feel the same as you do and dont want to drive 2/3 hours for a good venue. I have a hall that a friend of mine would let me have at a good price but its then the need for carpet/jumps etc and then the storage for it all.. If something opened i would be there supporting it as we have nothing locally apart from 2 excellent outdoor venues..

Just my 2p

Cheers Jay

Where is the Hall Jay?

How would people feel about a saturday night indoor venue? This is what my last club ran and in the winter months I was there every week without fail, I even raced until it was closed for 8 weeks during the summer. twice a month I set off from Sheffield to York to race and then DJ in leeds then back to Sheff so I would 100% support something similar down here! You could do once a month sunday meetings too which don't class with TORCH or Surrey and Hants.

Think we could be onto something here :D

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Where is the Hall Jay?

How would people feel about a saturday night indoor venue? This is what my last club ran and in the winter months I was there every week without fail, I even raced until it was closed for 8 weeks during the summer. twice a month I set off from Sheffield to York to race and then DJ in leeds then back to Sheff so I would 100% support something similar down here! You could do once a month sunday meetings too which don't class with TORCH or Surrey and Hants.

Think we could be onto something here :D

Hi

I'd be more interested in the DJ aspect, high tide ;) - used to attend them without fail for years! Digweed rocked it with Lawler a few years back.

Keep meaning to catch up old mates (Dan Reid/Gary Benetton) for a decent night out.

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 07:53 PM
http://m.soundcloud.com/dan-reid/dan-reid-feb-mix-2010

Superstar
16-10-2012, 08:19 PM
http://m.soundcloud.com/dan-reid/dan-reid-feb-mix-2010

Nice Mix Mikey, that ones going in my car :D we got something else to chat about at racing now :woot:

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Nice Mix Mikey, that ones going in my car :D we got something else to chat about at racing now :woot:

Lol yeah I have a few more from Dan.

Maybe I'll have to come out of High Tide retirement lol

My mate taught James Zabelia - I used to be done at Movement Records a lot.

Although favourite labels, naked music, MAW, zoom and loads more.

Got a small stack of vinyl in my loft. Gave up due to my shite hearing :(

Superstar
16-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Lol yeah I have a few more from Dan.

Maybe I'll have to come out of High Tide retirement lol

My mate taught James Zabelia - I used to be done at Movement Records a lot.

Although favourite labels, naked music, MAW, zoom and loads more.

Got a small stack of vinyl in my loft. Gave up due to my shite hearing :(

Tell me about it I stopping DJing full time mainly because I started losing hearing in my left ear!

Anyway back to topic, indoor racing in Hampshire :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
16-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Tell me about it I stopping DJing full time mainly because I started losing hearing in my left ear!

Anyway back to topic, indoor racing in Hampshire :thumbsup:

Dunno if Taplow are running a winter series like in the past.. Tough one otherwise.

One indoor meeting you should do is off road wars, but you'll be on reserve list now.

My shite hearing is from birth :( anyway shit happens.

We had a good Winter series last year, but yup gets a bit cold outside. Coldest meeting I attended thus far - EPR in March 2010 I think, Christ that was cold

lardy37
17-10-2012, 12:33 AM
i know its still a bit far but we have just started an indoor off road winter series in torquay, its only once a month and its on a sunday but still a good 2.5 hr drive but normally finished by 4 so could be home for tea :lol:

steveproracing
17-10-2012, 09:47 PM
perhaps we need a dj only area on oople??? ill ask jimmy to hit us up hehe:p:p:p

The Chef
18-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I would also love to see an indoor winter venue, as the cold plays hell with my hips that are already shot to bits, it takes me a couple of days to recover after marshalling at a cold event and if it is damp also that's worse. I did support West Berkshire religiously when it was open, I think that it was a bit to small any they tried to open it at the start of the summer outdoor season.

It is a Shane that rent is so expensive down here and the council refuse to give much if any reduction in rates.

Just my 2p worth.

knighthawk
21-10-2012, 07:35 PM
One of the best winter series I've ever attended was at Tiverton, some 6-7 years ago !

It was held indoors in a horse arena and was held on dirt.
It did get cold but you didn't have the biting wind, rain or snow.

Tiverton had to stop using the facilities due to the surface being changed.
A real shame as they used to get 120 drivers a meeting.

I agree that during the winter that if racers don't support the clubs running outdoors over the winter that these clubs may close, but not everyone can or want's to race over these months !
I for one have children that don't, lol

Maybe a indoor type venue could be found and two clubs could club together to save themselves.

Just a thought !!