PDA

View Full Version : Acetone

MikePimlott
24-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Ok my first season over and i have lots of good wheels and bald tyres left. I live near Bury metro and need some acetone to get my old tyres off.
Anybody any ideas on where i can get some near there.

Cheers

Mike.

bert digler
24-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Ok my first season over and i have lots of good wheels and bald tyres left. I live near Bury metro and need some acetone to get my old tyres off.
Anybody any ideas on where i can get some near there.

Cheers

Mike.

do this its ten times better get a steamer 3 tier type thing as used for vegatables fish etc. cost u a tenner from asda put you wheels and tyres in for about half hour per side u can do about 10 sets at time your tyres fall off the rims and usually in perfect condition i have done this now all year even done it trackside save a fortune in wheels and inserts:)

Chrislong
24-09-2006, 07:07 PM
This could be quite interesting, since this is an ingredient to a b*mb, how much harder is it to get some Acetone, if atall?

Mike, it is commonly used as nail varnish remover & fake nail remover, so if you have a friend who works in a salon then try that.

Chris

Chrislong
24-09-2006, 07:09 PM
do this its ten times better get a steamer 3 tier type thing as used for vegatables fish etc. cost u a tenner from asda put you wheels and tyres in for about half hour per side u can do about 10 sets at time your tyres fall off the rims and usually in perfect condition i have done this now all year even done it trackside save a fortune in wheels and inserts:)

Damn! We've just given a steamer away which we have never used, as we prefer our veg soft and soggy, not crunchy.

MikePimlott
24-09-2006, 07:21 PM
HHHMMMMM, Interesting, ive got a steamer gonna bung em in and try that. Cheers

Oscar
24-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I used to boil mine off the rims, but to be honest with you Acetone works way better because it dissolves all the original glue and leaves you with new wheels again. If you just boil/ steam you dont actually remove the glue from the wheels (it just sends it brittle so you can get the tyre off more easily) and over time you can get a build up.
Acetone is quite easy to buy (I just got 5 gallon recently), but the carriage is expensive due to not being able to go by Royal mail (Its more flammable than petrol).

MikePimlott
24-09-2006, 07:27 PM
No, just been told off. un-hygienic apparantly. better buy one for doing tyres seperatly. oOps.:)

ashleyb4
24-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I tried boilibf them but it doesnt work. im going to try some acetone just need to ask my local supply.
A

Northy
24-09-2006, 08:18 PM
don't you find the acetone goes yellow over time (from the glue) and starts to stain the wheels?

RobHatcliffe
24-09-2006, 08:30 PM
My acetone has gone pretty yellow after 12 months of use, but I've not noticed it staining the wheels, and it still works just as well. Cut as much of the tyres off as poss, obviously remove the inserts and soak the wheels for 36 hours or so.

Make sure you have not got any little cuts on your fingers - ooohh it stings :eek:

Mike - I'll try to remember where I got mine from and let you know

Chrislong
24-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeh acetone goes yellow quite quickly, and my tub now stains wheels too - but there is a cure. As I remove the wheels from my tub, pull the remaining rubber off (easy) I then wipe the wheel over while still damp and drop the wheels into a bag. When i go back into the house, i fill the sink with boiling water and Daz (or any other washing powder) and leave the wheels in (no bag) until cool enough to put your hands in - quick scrab with a toothbrush, and rinse under water and then leave to dry - wheels are like new.

MikePimlott
24-09-2006, 08:49 PM
cheers Rob, if you remember please e-mail me. just got some off e-bay 1 litre for a fiver, but sure its cheaper from fibre glass manufacturers or other such factories.

bert digler
24-09-2006, 09:06 PM
cheers Rob, if you remember please e-mail me. just got some off e-bay 1 litre for a fiver, but sure its cheaper from fibre glass manufacturers or other such factories.

lads u use steam as its hotter than boiling water hence it chemically fractures the glue not the plastic thats why the tyres come off and dont use the misses cookware buy one from asda or any other retail outlet;)

bigred5765
24-09-2006, 09:39 PM
mike come see me at bury ill have some better stuff with me. it will do the job

bigred5765
24-09-2006, 09:41 PM
don't you find the acetone goes yellow over time (from the glue) and starts to stain the wheels?

re manuals try here all is on there if not ask ill post it up
http://www.hobbytec.co.uk/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=2

o and empty ur pms box its full

super__dan
24-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Graham you minge bag, change the acetone every once in a while! ;)

Chrislong
24-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Change? :confused: I just top it up.

Col
25-09-2006, 01:12 PM
you can get nail varnish remover from all good supermarkets. I just got mine for 79p per litre from Tesco, put it into an old coffee jar and let it sit for 2 days. The tyres fall off the wheels...:)

DCM
25-09-2006, 01:19 PM
what do you chaps sit the wheels and tyres in the acetone them, and do they need to be totaly submersed?

jim76
25-09-2006, 01:34 PM
i got 5l of acetone from a fiberglass company in cornwall. £5 + £10 delivery (dangerous substance!)

i just put an inch and a half or so in an old air tight tupperware box with a set of tyres and leave for 24 - 48 hours.

they still come off even if not fully submerged, just take a little longer.

jimmy
25-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I use sealed tupperware style boxes. The sort of thing with clips that hold the container air tight with a rubber seal around the opening.

Col
25-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Airtight is better as it vapourises and stinks!

The Monk
25-09-2006, 02:22 PM
To avoid discoloring my wheels I put 1/2 inch of acetone in the bottom of my container and then an old grill (the sort with legs on used with oven baking trays) then put the wheels on that, so totally out of the Acetone. The vapor will un-glue the tyres, but it does take a little longer!

I have also tried the steamer method and it is a lot quicker/cheaper. So far I have not encountered any build up of brittle glue left on the rims. However if your worried that it will then every once and a while give them a soak in acetone.

DCM
25-09-2006, 03:24 PM
When you say, steamer, do you mean something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4220783.htm

The Monk
25-09-2006, 03:58 PM
When you say, steamer, do you mean something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4220783.htm

yeah that be the chap!

bigred5765
25-09-2006, 04:12 PM
the trouble we found with using a steamer, or hot water presure cooker etc, is that the plastic is heat formed and as such is a little susceptible to heat, it can become brittle and break easy. also it goes out of shape IE buckled wheels syndrome

Cooper
25-09-2006, 04:50 PM
after boiling my wheels the fluo color came off and the wheels were just yellow, I always use acetone and just buy it in the local hardware store =)

k£v!n
25-09-2006, 05:26 PM
you can get nail varnish remover from all good supermarkets. I just got mine for 79p per litre from Tesco, put it into an old coffee jar and let it sit for 2 days. The tyres fall off the wheels...:)

how easy do they come off after, does it need to be supmerged or does the vapor work too?

thanks
kev

super__dan
25-09-2006, 08:00 PM
I have a couple of inches of the stuff in a tub, and try to submerse them as it really washes the acetone off and the wheels are like new.

In fact going to put some of my Euros wheels in now (bloody loads).

bert digler
25-09-2006, 09:56 PM
:eek: if ya gonna use this this buy it from a chemist or auto paint place save your dollar it does work but not as good as the steamer dont buy it for five quid a litre or what ever they charge:o acetone is about 40p a litre industrial cost so work it out if u buy from the chemist at 2 quid your still being robbed