PDA

View Full Version : New photos, new user

Hans_Andersson
14-06-2008, 12:17 PM
HI!!!

Since most (as in everyone) here race 1:8 i only take photos of those cars. Sure we have a mini-z track to but thats like chasing a rat on speed.

Anyway...

Hans_Andersson
14-06-2008, 12:18 PM
BOYAKASHA

Hans_Andersson
14-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Odd...the pictures came out kind of dark...

RICARDO
14-06-2008, 05:11 PM
YOU JUST NEED A REAL DSLR ...
KEEP ON !

jimmy
14-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Nothing wrong with the camera. We had a discussion a lil while back about how we take photos. a lot of people swore by shutter priority and from looking at your exif data you've also used shutter priority at 1/640th of a second? Your lens at maximum zoom I'm guessing is F5.6? since that's what most of the photos are at.
I'd try using Aperture priority - that will allow the camera to expose properly instead of getting dark images. With the same iso setting you'll get a slower shutter speed but at least the photos will be brighter. You could also try bumping the iso up a little to bring more light in, around 400 iso or so - that combined with using Aperture priority (on the biggest aperture / smallest F' number) should be a good starting setup.

RICARDO
15-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Hans I like your pictures but not your camera.

What do you use ? My compact does sort of the same, but my dslr is far better (NIKON D300 and 70-200 VR). A simple D40 does good results.

Jimmy I respect your great job but I dont agree with you because the car is over exposed and the background is under exposed at the same time. Opening wider would make things worse on the car (too white). Idem with more iso or slower shutter speed.

My little old compact can achieve the same result, i know it because i began with it ! And everybody has to beguin one day :blush:

http://picasaweb.google.fr/richardporthe

Hans_Andersson
15-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Nothing wrong with my eos 400, its the user. I tried to highten the contrast in photoshop and now when i look back i kind of regret it. Stupid decision. I wanted to make the pictures to look a little bit grittier and dirty. But there is a difference from the uploaded one and the ones i have on my HDD.

I have more here that arent edited.

My equipment for rc shoots are: Eos 400, tamron 55-200 (i hate that lens) and sometimes for effects i use a 430ex flash.

Something else ive been thinking about is having a good background without people or any kind of construction in it. But that is a hard challange on a small confined track as ours. But i will keep up the good fight i guess.

Hans_Andersson
15-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I took these shots this sunday and the weather was kind of on and off. Lots of grey clouds and not that much sun. I dont know how to compensate for that in the camera. Whitebalance maybe?

glypo
15-06-2008, 11:32 AM
When it's cloudy, set the white-balance to cloudy, really brings out the colours.

Hans_Andersson
15-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Should have done that .... :thumbdown:

RICARDO
15-06-2008, 03:40 PM
When it's cloudy, set the white-balance to cloudy, really brings out the colours.

I AGREE !
THE COLORS OF THE LAST PICTURES ARE NOT SO BAD
but why ? Did you change something ?

http://vivixb8.blogspot.com/
this is a blog of a girl with a nikon D40 and a 70-300 (if i can remember the lens)
I think you should learn your 400d before photoshop.

josh_smaxx
15-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I have to agree with jimmy on this one, if its moving at any real speed it has to be apeture priority, shutter priority just doesnt work.

RICARDO
15-06-2008, 06:29 PM
For me I do nothing automatic, only manual (iso, aperture, shutter speed, white balance ...) but I don't know if it's possible on the 400d. Of course you spend more time at the begining but the results are better. But a big percentage of the pics is going to the rubbish bin !!! So i take a lot f pictures each time.

josh_smaxx
15-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Theres way to many variables using full manual, you can get the apeture right but then you need to get the shutter set properly and i find it can change quite rapidly. Today i was shooting in apeture priority and within about 7 pictures i was getting 1200 down to 650 and back up to 1100 shutter speeds.

Using apeture priority is so much easier to get great results, i mean im not even using a proper DSLR and i get stuff like this even with a only a decent amount of skill (like pressing the shutter at the right time, that sort of thing) http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nercr240508/2008_05244wdNERCR0106.html
and
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nercr240508/2008_05244wdNERCR0191.html

RICARDO
15-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I trust me more than my camera and once I have the good setting I don't have to change so often.
And also if I want something really precise or a special effect (speed, static, blur background) I can only rely on me. That's the challenge and that's why you can only do it with semi-pro or pro cameras.
It's like a driver with his car, he chose between adapting himself or adapting the car.
But It's sometimes so difficult we can prefer the comfort of automatic.:blush: