PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.. AE B4 motor for 5yr old newbie

Chrisfoster1971
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Just wondering what the norm is for kids starting out as got my hands on a B4, it's currently got a silver can and teu101bk

Was wanting to get something I can tune down to start with and turn up as he gets more capable.

Preferably brushless .. Would 17.5t or more be good?

Thanks
Chris

Pascewan
03-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Actually i think depends on if you want to run on a track. Then i'd go for a 17.5, you could gear it down. at first to get a feeling, and change to proper gearing maybe later on. Also you'd get quite a lot of runtime, i guess not having to stop for battery change is nice for the chap.
Also it helps learning to drive a clean line, gives enough time to react.
a 13.5T is already quite Quick, i kinda run it almost all the time in a 22 also because of LRP-Challenge Rules in Germany, track is quite small and Laptimes are quite close to modified. If You gear it down i think it's to much torque and it could go on the back wheels quite some time.

But if running on Very wide Tracks or the parking lot, more power would be better Fun.

Used to run a 17.5 Speed Passion V3, not tons of power but it's going quite smooth, and does not have heat issues. Tryed it some runs in the 2wd, then it went to the touring car for the local track. Did not have any issues, no problems there.
Ran it with a Cirtix Stock club race, so no adjustability except for the Brakes. But you might go LRP or so if planning on using stronger Motors Later on.

Chrisfoster1971
04-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Pascewan. Good to hear I wasn't far off with the 17.5t idea. I need to spend more time investigating gearing and stuff myself as I've lost the input from a good mate you always put me right.

Now gonna have a look for a second hand 17.5t combo for his little B4.

Thanks again

sosidge
04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
What's wrong with the silvercan? I'd be leaving it in the car myself.

Dave Dodd
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
+1 silver can nice and cheap. plenty quick enough. :D

ive put a 19t brushed in my daughters sct although i might end up putting a clash 21 or 23 when she starts using it next summer...

Chrisfoster1971
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Fair point guys..

fidspeed
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
+1 for the silver can to start

i take it its just for practice and not competitive racing to start with ?

some clubs may not allow such a young racer (our minimum allowed is 6 )

loads of practice in the local park will see if its genuine interest or just a "fad" that may cost you a lot of uneccesary spending

i hope he gets bitten by the bug and is a possible "Craggy" or "Bradders" future superstar

good luck

rondoolaa
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
my 8yr old uses a silver can in his b4 and its plenty fast enough for him, so +1 for the silver can from me too