PDA

View Full Version : Xray XB4 – Full Details Announced + Photos

k£v!n
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Full details can be found on the following page...

http://www.rc-area.co.uk/2012/12/04/xray-xb4-full-details-announced-photos/

"It’s time to raise the bar in the 1/10 buggy class. It is time to bring high quality, high performance and premium support & service to the 1/10 buggy category. It is time for the all-new XRAY 1/10 buggy, the new XB4…the new trend setter…the new beast to beat."

cmgreen
04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Looking familiar.................

discothesnake
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Nothing there that would make me want to go out and buy it. Very plasticy looking. I'll wait til i see it in the flesh before saying any more.

DeMogoobra
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Looking familiar.................

Yeah. like the world championship winning 4wd buggy but only a lot smarter for us users.

atsang
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Full details available on http://www.teamxray.com/xb4/

sime46
04-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Nice!

Karting
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I like the new motor mount way, looks very impressive. In fact the whole car looks impressive itself

discothesnake
04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Take all that back. Looks great.

racingdwarf
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Looks good, but thing it needs is some colour! I can see whoever gets one of these breaking out the shiny screws and washers as it's a bit,..... No more like very drab and that makes it look a bit cheep.

Errrm and then the shell, probably works a treat but only it's mother would love it:lol:

RobW
04-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Looks good, but thing it needs is some colour! I can see whoever gets one of these breaking out the shiny screws and washers as it's a bit,..... No more like very drab and that makes it look a bit cheep.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Probably going to be a very competitive and well made car but looks a little dull at the moment. Nothing a tenners worth of shiny screws and washers would not sort:)

Rob

Rayzerp
04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Take all that back. Looks great.

I agree....From the general layout and wide angle pictures available up until now I was thinking it was just another B44 clone but from these pictures the level of design and detail are on another level altogether....impressive

AfroP
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
The more info page on the website makes it look interesting, but that's what its designed to do i guess.
looks well thought out, but will have to wait to see if its a contender of not

Lee24h
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I want one as i love xray products and the slight inovations
But once the new cat k1 shaft drive car is released are 4wd off road going to look as generic as most of their on road counterparts
I was expecting more of a mini xb9
A classic example is top of the shocks
Looks very like any other buggy shock tops
Im not slating it i just think xray with their expertese they could have been sucessful with a more revolitionary design but never the less i want one :)

nitrokillah
04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
not too sure about plastic gear diffs .
& Also those plastic shock cap are putting me off a bit .

Car looks As Good as any though .

you got to love the Cable routing Channel .

Will have to see the Price tag on it ; & if it can take the beating ...

mw02veg
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
K1 shaft drive........................

where did that come from?

steeve
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
For those who have see the Vega Prototype, its 50 times the car than this :)

cmgreen
04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
K1 shaft drive........................

where did that come from?

Just what i was thinking!

mw02veg
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
must be a Team driver who knows something

cmgreen
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
must be a Team driver who knows something

Yeah got to be ......................

But i reckon you know alot more than what your letting on........LOL

mw02veg
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
That is always very hard when you know the answers to the questions.

cmgreen
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah. like the world championship winning 4wd buggy but only a lot smarter for us users.

Dont think that was the car........................ looks the same to me. We now have 4 or 5 cars that now look exactly the same (in terms of layout).

Dudders
04-12-2012, 03:02 PM
On the outside looks very bland and samey as soo many out there, however if you look deeper there is more to it, Like:

Wire stay
Adjustable Diff Oil
Flexi Chassis
Motor Mount
Diff Removal
Gear Diffs
Adjustable Bump Steer

So all in all, It's an exciting car IMHO.

Well done XRay, nice advances and touches.

Origineelreclamebord
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Looking good :) With the first shots I saw a while back I was fearing it would be another shaft drive...

...In a way, it is - the layout it mostly obvious - perhaps because it just works best (in which case you might not want to change that) :p

Looking beyond that I think Xray have made an impressive entry into the 4WDs in terms of design. I love the motor mount (and some other convevient bits and features on the car). Effectively having a plate and a tub chassis is quite an unusual concept. You'd say that raising the CoG by what will probably be 1.5-2mm (compared to a single, flat plate) would be a bad thing, but the way they approach it makes it sound like it's worth it :eh?: And those front lower arms are promisingly beefy, they look more like 1/8 arms!

There are plenty of features about it to like - if it's a car that most drivers can get a good setup and pace on, then they sure have a winner! :D

Alan - South West RC
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I like the cable routing and the motor mounting, nice features and well thought out :thumbsup:

DeMogoobra
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I fint get it. Why does so many expect so much out of every new model?

mark christopher
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
On the outside looks very bland and samey as soo many out there, however if you look deeper there is more to it, Like:

Wire stay
Adjustable Diff Oil
Flexi Chassis
Motor Mount
Diff Removal
Gear Diffs
Adjustable Bump Steer

So all in all, It's an exciting car IMHO.

Well done XRay, nice advances and touches.

are you saying there alll new features?

Origineelreclamebord
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I fint get it. Why does so many expect so much out of every new model?

Introducing a product that is a step back doesn't sell well in most cases - one of the few examples of that is products that call upon a certain nostalgia (like Tamiya re-re's).

Being that Xray is not the brand likely to introduce stuff that sells based on nostalgia, we are bound to have expectations and are eager to see the improvements they want to introduce in this hobby :thumbsup:

DeMogoobra
04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
That is reasonable.

I see it this way. I am very used to Xray products from before and I have believed for years that if ever Xray would make an eletric offroad car I would buy it. Just because of the quality of the stuff. Me, I dont care if there are a ton of new ideas just as long I get that Xray quality feel in my hands to work with. Got no doubt in my mind that this is a superb racing machine and I am just as sure that it is no faster than any other car. But I dont care.
Have been racing TC and have tried almost every brand out there but always ended up with another Xray:wub

Colin Kirkham
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm liking it, been a very long time coming from Xray,
Question, does anyone else use 14mm hex wheels all round ?

paulc
04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Durango...

JohnM
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
WOW..... it's a Hot Bodies D4 with a metal chassis, well that was worth the wait, not:yawn:

DeMogoobra
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Just by looking at the setup sheet for carpet here there seems to be a ball diff option and metalgears for the diff. Or am I totally wrong?

http://www.teamxray.com/xb4/download/files/392125_1_xb4_set_up-sheet_CARPET.pdf

andys
04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Looks good - more a refinement of what's already out there rather than anything new, but not sure about all the plastic gears in the diffs ?

Hoping the Schumacher is a bit more inspiring.

OneKiwi
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I saw that on the set up sheet as well.
There are boxes left open for add the metal/alu option bits such as:

Diff gears
Ball diff
Pinions
Crown gear
Caster block
Steering block
Rear hub
Different front and rear arms???
Weight kit?

Looks like a bit of stuff yet to come

Id want this fan mount for the spot for the fan behind the motor
http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Spec-RFanMount.jpg

mark christopher
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Plastic gears used in the tc, and for nt1 sure nt1 steel gears are same

Honeybadger
04-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I´ve got to say, I´m loving the look of that new buggy. Always admired the Xray quality and lots of nice touches in the detail too.

feniks
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I found there quality always superb that wat we cant say of most brands out there .
its not the fact that its somthing compleet new . but I beleve that it has all the key ellements to finaly have a car that can suit all drivers . and if it has ball diffs and gear diffs aswell that can only be an advantage . eder way I am happy with my curent car so once this had a compleet year than this car wil be on the list of concideration .

Origineelreclamebord
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
WOW..... it's a Hot Bodies D4 with a metal chassis, well that was worth the wait, not:yawn:

I'm afraid you're missing the point a bit if you think Xray made a copy of the D4? The whole piece in between those 4 wishbones is nothing alike apart from the approximate layout of the electronics (which happens to be the same as almost any current shaft drive 4WD) :eh?:

...I have believed for years that if ever Xray would make an eletric offroad car I would buy it. Just because of the quality of the stuff. Me, I dont care if there are a ton of new ideas just as long I get that Xray quality feel in my hands to work with...

Higher build quality and finish than the competition is just as much of a step forwards as new features on the chassis/geometry/etc. :)

stegger
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
It does look quality, i wonder who'll be running this next season !

mes
04-12-2012, 07:28 PM
I dislike the motor mount (Yokomo know why they abandoned this kind of set-up), but really love some of the details, e.g. the cable mounts and the diff housings. For an average driver like me, all those suspension tuning options seem to a bit on the excessive side, though...
All in all a car I'd love to test, but not to buy. Looking in the crystal ball I see that my ancient B-Max4 may find a successor in summer. Until then, a new body will have to do! ;)

Origineelreclamebord
04-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I dislike the motor mount (Yokomo know why they abandoned this kind of set-up), but really love some of the details...

Could you represent Yokomo in this case and tell us? :)

OneKiwi
04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
ISn't it just like the latest B44.? motor mount. Can't be that bad if they are bringing it in again

Dave Dodd
04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
think its brilliant :D

but give it 6 months and there will be a XB4-013 out :lol:

Lee24h
04-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I personally dont know just applied some logic to it
A shallow rear as tall as lipos a new inovation from schumacher
proven shaft driven cars like the b44.2
Plus its a cat k1 therefor it must be a start of a new series of cats
Schumachers first shaft driven race car

mes
04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Could you represent Yokomo in this case and tell us? :)
:D Sure! The choice of pinions you can use with one type of spur gear is quite limited with this design. Yokomo has solved this problem to a certain extend with the new version (http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=3165&zenid=c0fsj9tih5cjdivo3rph57d7e7) included in the B-Max4II Worlds Spec and the latest WN version.

(imagine a 2wd motor mount with one small and one long mounting hole vs. the currently popular version with two long mounting holes)

I'm still using the old cast aluminum version and of course it works, but it is one of the features that really were worth improving. Maybe this will be one of the first issues Xray will adress in their future annual updates! ;)
On the other hand, the Xray version may be able to accommodate a wider range of pinions if it is possible to rotate the motor further - which again might cause some issues due to the cables or solder tabs being in the way...

Lee24h
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM

This post is relative to page one

mark christopher
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM

im sure we will see if your logic is correct soon (or not)

rcpower
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I have been watching out a long time for this one and although it has some nice features it does not look luxury to me. Probably quality is second to none, but composite gears and shock tops, bushings in steering linkage, no droop screws? I want to bet they will release a lot of tuning options for these...sooner or later, and they will be necessary to make it real bulletproof. Pricing is not that competitive I think. I do not fancy belt-drive cars, but if I had to choose between the XB4 and the K1, I would go for the K1 which looks a lot more luxury to me. Nevertheless I will stick to my FS2 for another season and hope to cope with the new cars.

budgio
05-12-2012, 08:15 PM
What are the battery bars made of ?

Capt Hilts
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Yes it is a really nice car, but.... :o
I noticed a couple of things it could do with:
- The Big bore shocks do not have tapered pistons, just regular ones. :yawn:
- The driveshaft’s do not have C-Clip retainers on them, just a grub screw. :mad:
The tapered pistons is no big deal as you could probably use them from another manufacture and fit those, but the driveshaft’s would need some shrink wrap no doubt.
Something for Xray to sort when they revise the car eh... :lol:

Reo
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
nothing new, just like 95% of all other out there! Show me something new with belt! :)

zienna
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
K1 :lol:

mtbd500
07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes it is a really nice car, but.... :o
I noticed a couple of things it could do with:
- The Big bore shocks do not have tapered pistons, just regular ones. :yawn:
- The driveshaft’s do not have C-Clip retainers on them, just a grub screw. :mad:
The tapered pistons is no big deal as you could probably use them from another manufacture and fit those, but the driveshaft’s would need some shrink wrap no doubt.
Something for Xray to sort when they revise the car eh... :lol:
The driveshaft pins are captured, there is a composite collar that traps the pin, it is not shown in the pics for some reason.

johnnygibbon
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm loving this car
It ticks my boxes big bores shaft drive and sturdy construction all with metric screws
I am looking forward to racing it
Not done 4wd for a while
This car will be my chosen weapon not the k1 or the latest b44
Be interesting to see how xray have done
There other cars are great quality , the xb4 should be well up there

OneKiwi
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Im hopefully getting mine tomorrow and I hope a few TD bits fit, at first I mailnly hope the springs and sway bars.
Wheels do so thats great

steve73
11-12-2012, 08:54 AM
From my point of view it looks great!
First car were i'm really thinking to buy it instead of TD
(K1 is not an alternative for me)

jamiekerr14
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Anyone know what max height battery you can use with the XB4. Ordered a cheap set of Gens Ace 6000 Mah. But forgot-that they may not fit! there 30 tall instead of the usual 25ish.. like the orions ect.. Any ideas on height at all cheers chaps!

OneKiwi
11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
They could fit if you don't put in the foam and use a spacer on the strap uprights

The build went together really well, my first xray build. Only bit that needed a little sanding was one front arm but that was very minimal.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/20121211_195046.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/20121211_195154.jpg

Tips:

Level or just under for shock oils, I did a bump like I usually do but they didn't need it.
Don't screw fast the upper chassis when it says too as it needs to be loosened and removed later. Maybe a couple of times

Don't cut the body on the lower lines right away, It can be like the early durango shells if you intend on using velcro on the sidepods.

jamiekerr14
11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Ahh brilliant thanks!

Yeah I thought about removing the padding and a few shims to help. Will get some better packs shortly. Its mainly just to test it all ect.

Thanks for the tips! Oh and buggy looks really nice!

tomtom
11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Looks like you put your front shock tower from the inside where the one on the website was screwed from the outside.

OneKiwi
11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Interesting you said that I did try from the front but the holes didn't really line up right. Ill have another look at the manual and see

discostu
11-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like you put your front shock tower from the inside where the one on the website was screwed from the outside.

yep tower is on the wrong side should be on the front of bulk head

double check your manual

mark christopher
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Interesting you said that I did try from the front but the holes didn't really line up right. Ill have another look at the manual and see
LOL well at least when the tower is on the right way your screws will be ok to fit in the topdeck

BentKa
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Picked up the new XB4's for myself and my daughter earlier today at the LHS :thumbsup:

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/001.jpg

And I got some wrenching time in between pitting for my daughter.

Just needs electronics and shocks ;)

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/002.jpg

And YES OneKiwi has the front shock tower on the wrong side ;)

Bent

BentKa
12-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Here's a short unedited clip of a fellow racers first few laps with the XB4 built according to the included CLAY setup.

Needs a change of pistons to get more pack for our track.......but first impressions are butter smooth and tons of steering (even with worn out front tires slapped on just for testing.......)

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/th_IMG_4123.jpg (http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/IMG_4123.mp4)

Bent

dMITIj
12-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Here's a short unedited clip of a fellow racers first few laps with the XB4 built according to the included CLAY setup.

Needs a change of pistons to get more pack for our track.......but first impressions are butter smooth and tons of steering (even with worn out front tires slapped on just for testing.......)

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/th_IMG_4123.jpg (http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/IMG_4123.mp4)

Bent

Hmm its just a black screen with sound :cry:

BentKa
12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Hmm its just a black screen with sound :cry:

Works for me :confused:

Try this:

http://s745.beta.photobucket.com/user/bent-ka/media/XB4/IMG_4123.mp4.html

Bent

j0pp3
12-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Very nice photos, BentKa! Can't wait to get mine.

Could you please measure the thickness of the plastic battery holders?

/Joel

OneKiwi
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Yep I out the tower on the wrong side... it went a little quick there.

Finished with paint so will be test driving tonight
Im pretty pleased with how it turned out, windows should have been pink and sorry for the dirty wheels

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/20121212_142134.jpg

graveltrap
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Do Durango 410 wheels fit without problems?

jamiekerr14
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
From what I have read they do, But you will need to ream out the hole in the rim ever so slightly. As the Xray shaft tip is a tad bigger than the Durango one I think. But apart from that the offset and so on are the same, as far as i'm aware.

BentKa
12-12-2012, 10:45 PM
From what I have read they do, But you will need to ream out the hole in the rim ever so slightly. As the Xray shaft tip is a tad bigger than the Durango one I think. But apart from that the offset and so on are the same, as far as i'm aware.

Spot on :thumbsup:

DEX410 rims from either Team Durango or De Racing will fit with a slight touch of the reamer for the rear rims only.......fronts are a direct fit :)

Bent

j0pp3
12-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, thought you might be interested in my body template files for the XB4 so that you can try out different colors and patterns on your computer :)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_white_small.jpg
Download file (1643 x 827 px) (http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_white.jpg)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_background_small.jpg
Download file (2500 x 1824 px) (http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_background.jpg)

Thanks XRAY for the file download section with high res images.

atsang
13-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, thought you might be interested in my body template files for the XB4 so that you can try out different colors and patterns on your computer :)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_white_small.jpg
Download file (1643 x 827 px) (http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_white.jpg)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_background_small.jpg
Download file (2500 x 1824 px) (http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/xb4_paint_template_background.jpg)

Thanks XRAY for the file download section with high res images.

Brilliant man! Pure Genius!

OneKiwi
13-12-2012, 07:46 AM
I read that these should fit

http://www.rcmart.com/images/xray_xr-335030_2.jpg

OneKiwi
14-12-2012, 03:06 PM
From the xray forum

There is no reason to be concerned before you drive or even build the car. The car has plenty of hours of track tests in different conditions. Martin Bayer even used the final specs car in real races including the Czech Championship which he won, so the reliability was tested and is proven.

Slipper clutch - if you have the slipper clutch set loose you do not need to worry, the wheels will slip and the pinion will not break. If you however tighten the slipper too much (and this is what happen to those who experienced problems) you will create a solid axle instead of slipper clutch, the wheels will not slip and something (pinion) will break. That is common on all buggies of other brands using slipper clutch in the market.

Shimming the diff - Very Important - do not ship the diff. As mentioned in other threads, the diff was designed by purpose with a small play. If you shim the diff you will eliminate the play. The diff will during operation get warm and expand and if there is no play the diff will not work properly. Therefore there should be NO shims used.

Satelitte gears - they are made by purpose from composite, they are lighter and have better dynamic performance. They are moulded from very special composite mixture and have very good reliability. The same gears from same special material are used in the T4 and NT1 gear diff and the traction on foam tires on asphalt is several times higher than on a buggy track. Since there are no problems with the NT1 gear diffs at all there is absolutely no need for any worry about the composite gears for XB4. However if you want to feel more safe you can use the NT1 metalic optional gears #335030, they are direct fit.

j0pp3
14-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Good info, especially the "no shimming" part. Build starts tonight :lol:

sime46
14-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I've started building one of these. It builds beautifully. Very impressed.

eoghan.c
22-12-2012, 01:09 AM
dammmmmmm i have been lookin at this chasis if i wer gona race buggys i would opt for this as im a big xray fan as i have the tc any how so i know th build quality its always up there in the 10/10 range love it as it looks stealthy would not change a bit about it :D

feniks
22-12-2012, 10:04 PM
this will be mine for this year . do need a prober spread shell do.
ok picture again not working lol

racdeaf
22-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Here my ..
Not run it yet :cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/racgti/9efdfed4975b7bfeed317f3d7ef2aec0.jpg

BentKa
25-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Just put in an order for 4 sets of the new 4mm TeamSR carbon front & rear towers for me, my daughter, a friend and a spare set :thumbsup:

My daughters Christmas present :D

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bent-ka/XB4/_BOL2486_zpsca40bf9a.jpg

Bent

j0pp3
27-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Very nice painting guys!

A few pics showing my setup, followed by my newbie esc settings. As you can see I've fitted a big Spektrum SR300 receiver :)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/xray_xb4_014_electronics.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/xray_xb4_015_electronics.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/xray_xb4_016_electronics.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/xray_xb4_017_electronics.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/xray_xb4_018_electronics.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/tab_basic.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/tab_advanced.jpg

http://joppis.dyndns.org/xray_xb4/tab_firmware.jpg