PDA

View Full Version : GT12 for 2013...

RCMadShane
05-12-2012, 06:13 PM
OK guys it’s time for a vote :)

GT12 Class (Mardave/Superstox)

For next April/May 2013 which is when the GloucesterERCC current championship ends we intend to change some or our rules to bring us in line with the BRCA GT12 Class

Well in true BRCA fashion they have changed direction..

The BRCA 12th Section have decided to remove the 21.5T motor from the “National” championship as they did not believe anyone was running it…

Where does this leave us I hear you ask..
Well the choice is ours… The committee feel we should stick with the 21.5T 2s system as it is easy and cheap to run we will not be able to use this in a National event but we can use it at the Chippenham model car club. And possibly others (need to check)

So to the vote

Here are your choices:.

BRCA – 13.5T 1s
Club – 21.5 2s

Sorry to make this clear...
By voting "Club" will include "BRCA"
By voting "BRCA" will exclude "Club"

Let me know what you think

ChrissieL
06-12-2012, 12:05 AM
I have both :thumbdown:. 2s is currently the way ill continue to go.

J'MM'N
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
4.5T 3S:drool:

But seriously, its something you need to discuss with all the members. You have a wide range of abilities and ages, for a few people running Mardave/Supastox and you would need to cater for all. Thankfully you have a few months racing to discuss and come to a conclusion.

Personally at this time I would go with 21.5T 2S, for both reliability and practical reasons. But that could change over the Winter months.

RCMadShane
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
4.5T 3S:drool:

But seriously, its something you need to discuss with all the members. You have a wide range of abilities and ages, for a few people running Mardave/Supastox and you would need to cater for all. Thankfully you have a few months racing to discuss and come to a conclusion.

Personally at this time I would go with 21.5T 2S, for both reliability and practical reasons. But that could change over the Winter months.

In this case the Committee is only looking at the two classes listed above. The vote is to decide if we go BRCA only or go the duel route for allowing both which is what Chippenham Club are going to do. So it will be one or both of the above, nothing else is being considered at this moment in time.

grayslick
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I think this has all become a bit daft when it makes no real difference at our track.

Up until recently I had always ran whatever in my Mardave, I actually quite enjoyed changing from brushed to brushless and back again and trying out different cheapo motors. It didnt really affect my lap times, just fun to try out different setups. Its one of the reasons I stuck with the Mardave for so long.

For the Supastox, I've recently spent £120 on a 1s system which performs worse than a silver can/4 nimh. I could probably do better lap times with my Tamiya Frog.:o I've now spent another £100+ replacing this with a 21.5t and a set of 2s batteries which are now not going to be BRCA legal in a few months time.

I doubt I've spent this much on motors, esc and batteries for the mardave in the entire previous 3 years, buying cheap saturns, ezrun system and tipple batteries.

Anyway, as I'm now kitted for 1s and 2s, I dont mind, I just think whatever we decide we need to stick with for at least the summer and winter 2013 seasons.

RCMadShane
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I think this has all become a bit daft when it makes no real difference at our track.

Up until recently I had always ran whatever in my Mardave, I actually quite enjoyed changing from brushed to brushless and back again and trying out different cheapo motors. It didnt really affect my lap times, just fun to try out different setups. Its one of the reasons I stuck with the Mardave for so long.

For the Supastox, I've recently spent £120 on a 1s system which performs worse than a silver can/4 nimh. I could probably do better lap times with my Tamiya Frog.:o I've now spent another £100+ replacing this with a 21.5t and a set of 2s batteries which are now not going to be BRCA legal in a few months time.

I doubt I've spent this much on motors, esc and batteries for the mardave in the entire previous 3 years, buying cheap saturns, ezrun system and tipple batteries.

Anyway, as I'm now kitted for 1s and 2s, I dont mind, I just think whatever we decide we need to stick with for at least the summer and winter 2013 seasons.

I can only apologise on behalf of the committee for this turn of events. We have tried hard to keep the GT12 class a cheap class and unfortunately this has not gone well for some, So this is where we want to lay all the cards on the table so it will be clear in all your minds the short term future of the class (Nothing is for ever).

The Chippenham CWIC is 21.5t and it is proposed to be for 2013/14 season.

RogerM
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Based on what I have learned over the past few weeks on forums and talking to people "in the know" it seems that there is little intention of keeping the GT12 class as an "entry level" or "fun" class and instead it looks like it is being dragged, kicking and screaming, in to the 1/12th fold as a feeder class for the 1/12th nationals. With this in mind they, I personally believe, want to push people into the situation where if they start with a GT12 they build a collection of equipment which is only really of use for pan car formulas ... basically making it more expensive / difficult to go to a TC / offroad class so people stay with the pan car classes. I feel that is a shame & a missed oppertunity for RC racing in the UK generally, that oppertunity being a wallet friendly entry to this great sport that can be funded on pocket money & paper rounds!

What does this have to do with Shane's question? EVERYTHING!!!!

As a club that has both some really good drivers and a equally a reasonable number of enthusiastic but developing drivers I think you/we (as I intend to be a regular once I have my GT12 running) HAVE to cover both options.

I will be setting up my GT12 car with a 1s setup, AdamU will no doubt be doing the same. That will mean if we do want to do bigger events we already have the kit and setup experience to make it possible.

I am fairly sure that I wouldn't be happy to push "Little Johnny" down the 1s route as I feel it would be a little bit too much hastle for them to get it all working as a novice AND most importantly they would HAVE to buy new batteries & motors if they wanted to run ANY other class (except 1/12th) in the big wide world outside the club.

With that in mind I think;

2s = better for the newbie in terms of user friendliness and adaptability
1s = better for those of us crazy enough to get up at 4am to drive to a national.

The club needs both, newbies for it to grow, experienced (if slightly mad) racers to help the newbies.

I only wish that the class had been given some proper consideration, by the BRCA, at day 1 ... oh well.

Shane if you need / want a hand drafting a set of rules which have no ambeguity in them I am happy to help, I write borring technical documents day-in-day-out :)

Mike Snelling
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
vote Club (either 13.5 or 21.5)

ChrissieL
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
vote Club (either 13.5 or 21.5)

Run either.

Simion Wabs
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, the main reason for adopting the BRCA rules at Glos in the first instance was to give everyone a base line to work from when purchasing esc/batteries/motors etc and to enable them to compete at BRCA sanctioned events (nationals and CWIC to name two). As a few individuals have mentioned on this forum, many people have purchased the BRCA spec items and yet again the BRCA have changed the goal posts.
But this time the club doesn't like the BRCA specs and are now discussing other options that are NOT BRCA sanctioned. I am alarmed at this.

So all the arguements FOR during the first debate are now no longer valid imo. I have always been an advocate of "run what you like" (as the chassis size itself restricts the amount of performance you can effectively use). Now as a club, we are voting to use NONE BRCA approved specs. Further restricting/forcing individuals to purchase more equipment.

At our club, the better drivers usually finish in the A final no matter what specs ESC/Motor/battery combo they use. I appreciate guidance for newcomers on equipment but to enforce none BRCA electrics is now ludicrous.
What happens in 12months when the BRCA change the rules for chassis design? Or battery type? Or even tyre type!!

Rant over. For me I am hapy to drive illegally and not be considered for championship points. Mainly as I no longer wish to spend extra cash on adopting to rules that are no longer nationally approved.

I Vote CLUB. :-)

RCMadShane
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry to make this clear...

By voting "BRCA" will exclude "Club"

RCMadShane
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, the main reason for adopting the BRCA rules at Glos in the first instance was to give everyone a base line to work from when purchasing esc/batteries/motors etc and to enable them to complete at BRCA sanctioned events (nationals and CWIC to name two). As a few individuals have mentioned on this forum, many people have purchased the BRCA spec items and yet again the BRCA have changed the goal posts.
But this time the club doesn't like the BRCA specs and are now discussing other options that are NOT BRCA sanctioned. I am alarmed at this.

So all the arguements FOR during the first debate are now no longer valid imo. I have always been an advocate of "run what you like" (as the chassis size itself restricts the amount of performance you can effectively use). Now as a club, we are voting to use NONE BRCA approved specs. Further restricting/forcing individuals to purchase more equipment.

At our club, the better drivers usually finish in the A final no matter what specs ESC/Motor/battery combo they use. I appreciate guidance for newcomers on equipment but to enforce none BRCA electrics is now ludicrous.
What happens in 12months when the BRCA change the rules for chassis design? Or battery type? Or even tyre type!!

Rant over. For me I am hapy to drive illegally and not be considered for championship points. Mainly as I no longer wish to spend extra cash on adopting to rules that are no longer nationally approved.

I know Simon but this is not something we expected to happen.. All the original data we were issued was that the BRCA had sanctioned the 21.5 2s system so we and the Chippenham Model Car Club amongst others have gone that route, the decision being made could put our members in apposition where they will have to change for a National Event, because of the complexity of this the Committee has chosen the route of a vote.

Your choices are:.

BRCA – 13.5T 1s
Club – 21.5 2s
And to make this clear...
By voting "BRCA" will exclude "Club”
We are not considering anything else at this stage.

LongRat
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
RogerM posted what would effectively be word for word my own opinion. That's EXACTLY the way I feel too. We have to allow both at Gloucester. So I vote CLUB.

Paul Bristol
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
My vote is for Club. We need to ensure we retain 2 cell as the norm. Everything has been said about 1 cell.........................can be made to work but does not offer a level playing field. I could use 1c or 2c but life is a lot more straight forward with 2c.