PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone Buggy Club (New and Improved)

spenner
17-06-2008, 09:51 PM
This weekend 22nd June will see the first meeting on the NEW Silverstone off Road track.
I have to say for those who will be attending they are in for a suprise!!!!

The hard core members (they know who they are) have spent not hours or days, but weeks getting the track to a raceable state. Big thanks from me that there is gonna be a top quality venue close to home.

There will be parts that aren't perfect and they are aware of these, but take a thought and look at what the track will be like when properly finished.

Hope everyone enjoys it and look forward to seeing everyone there.

spenner
19-06-2008, 09:31 PM

The track will grow over the next year, there is still plenty of work to do so people are still wanted but the track is ready for it's first regional this sunday.

There are to clay areas, two large table tops, a banked corner, lots of elevation changes... a wall ride, tripple and a bunny hop

blitzboy
19-06-2008, 09:39 PM
oooooohhh liking that track guys well looking forward to comin down for a bash might even pinch spenner s or kev aero to have a play they i think :woot:hahahahaha

budgio
19-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Excellent work guys...looks great

GPS1
19-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Tonights work down at the track!!
Spenner took his Aero round for some test laps to help identify any lumps & bumps we had missed! Found that a lap will probably be 23-25 seconds!
A very small amount of finishing work to be done before Sunday now, but it will be ready!!

blitzboy
19-06-2008, 11:19 PM
wow that the dogs lads itching to come down now have to see if the missis get twisted into workin if so custom blitz will be on tour :thumbsup:

GPS1
20-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Nice to see you're still keeping an eye on us Graham!
Pack the wife off to work and get yourself down here asap!!!
Thanks for all the support to mate!:thumbsup:

B-Sting
20-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Can someone give me the post code for the track :)

blitzboy
20-06-2008, 09:16 AM
no problem mate custom blitz is always happy to support any new venue in its region and any other on the mid south too mate :thumbsup:

Snapper
20-06-2008, 09:48 AM
We are at the Recreation Ground in Silverstone vilage, known to locals as the SRA, in Church Street as you exit the village north towards Abthorpe. Postcode is NN12 8XA. See you Sunday.

jim76
20-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Graham/Spenner
Are you using the dirt infield at all? The astro section doesn't look long enough for a 24s lap? Certainly looks cool though, looking forward to it.
It is the usual yellows in the dry?

JCJC
20-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Can someone give me the post code for the track :)

You need my handy "Mid-South Map" zoom in to see exact position of the track etc, click the "Silverstone" pin for info..........:)

This thread : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10465

spenner
20-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Jim,

The track is lot bigger than it looks on the pics, from corner to corner the straight is prob as long if not longer than Swindon!!!!

I think you will see laps of around 22-23 secs on the current layout....

With all the features in the track it will slow you down

jim76
20-06-2008, 11:47 AM
cheers John, i did wonder. i know Swindon was a similar layout and made up the time on sheer length due to the rallyX size.

would be cool if the kept the infield as dirt and had a couple of sections there for a bit of multisurface.

spenner
20-06-2008, 12:12 PM
There are dirt sections in the layout which may be kept....
The middle bit is really loose dirt as it is on top of all the drainage so not really possible to do much apart from cover it.

There will be lots of changes and plenty of things to look forwar to in the future.

mw02veg
20-06-2008, 03:07 PM
wow that looks amazing lot of hard work has gone in there :thumbsup:. im sure with that infield bit there is lots of space to do much more with the layout. top job!!!

spenner
20-06-2008, 04:18 PM
For anyone who looks at the current pics....

The current track has been made basically for this weeks Mid South Regional. We ran out of Astro to caver the whole area which is the idea.
Some more astro is on the way, and the track will be fully surfaced.

After the clay section was finished last night there was a discussion of this area maybe staying... depending how it goes this weekend.

The whole area will not be complete till next year min.

The people behind the venture have spent time and money on the project and as this is 'a rush job' sort of, all i can say is wait for the finished article.

The facilities are top notch and the club realised the track wasn't good enough, the men behind it have done a top job and the people in mid south will be blessed with another high class track!!!

GPS1
20-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Kind words John!! And yes it's been bloody hard work for the few involved and not something I'd want to do again! Although I do hope that the track that is there for this weekends regional is not judged too harshly!!
It's taken nearly two months to get it to this stage. There is another 7500sq ft of astro turf coming from Peterborough in July, hopefully in time for the in-field to be done for the 2WD regional on July 20th.
As John has already mentioned, the in-field has too many drains running under it and is just too cut up to even consider running on!
I ran the BJ4 around the track today and the lap time was 25-24sec! It will probably come down as the sand/track beds in!
The track is big!! The main straight is 43ft long!! The pictures really don't do the place any justice!!
And yes, if it's hot then Yellow's seem to be best!!
See you all Sunday!!

jim76
20-06-2008, 08:08 PM
43ft? are you sure? that's like 13m or so? looks much bigger than that, and doesn't the BRCA specify minimum of 20m?

can't wait to try it.

GPS1
21-06-2008, 10:36 AM
NOT FEET, METRES!!! Sorry Jim your right! We'll get the right length tomorrow when you're there, that way we'll both know for sure!!!

jim76
22-06-2008, 08:15 PM
just wanted to say a big thanks to Graham, his Dad, Lloyd and anyone else who has been involved in the track work. A serious amount of work has been done in a short time with limited resources. Think everyone excepted it had a few bits that need tidying up which is to be expected. The basics are in place and with a little bit of fine tuning on the jump profiles and finishing the infield it could be a really good track for next year.
I know a few people struggled all day with breakages but it's the same track for all and you just had to drive with a bit more caution in places. It was no more unforgiving than CML or Eden park if you get things wrong!

And anyway, i can't complain about a track where i just had my best ever finish!!
good work lads

KevLee
22-06-2008, 10:00 PM
just wanted to say a big thanks to Graham, his Dad, Lloyd and anyone else who has been involved in the track work. A serious amount of work has been done in a short time with limited resources. Think everyone excepted it had a few bits that need tidying up which is to be expected. The basics are in place and with a little bit of fine tuning on the jump profiles and finishing the infield it could be a really good track for next year.
I know a few people struggled all day with breakages but it's the same track for all and you just had to drive with a bit more caution in places. It was no more unforgiving than CML or Eden park if you get things wrong!

And anyway, i can't complain about a track where i just had my best ever finish!!
good work lads

Well said Jim.

I don't think many will disagree that it was a challenging track! but its early days and the ideas that are in there will make the track very cool. know that the features to need to be refined to make them more consistent but there has already been a serious amount of work done and with some time i think it will be an awesome venue. From speaking to Graeme and Geoff they are keen to keep the work going and you have to give them, and everyone else who has helped some big appreciation (Lloyd, Richard, John to name a few that i know). There aren't many people willing to give up their time to take on something like this!

AND Well done to Greg Spicer for the win today! (and Paul T for making the B final with one finish!)

Snapper
22-06-2008, 10:05 PM
THANK YOU JIM76 for your understanding of the "serious amount of work that has been done in such a short time" and accepting the fact that certain things weren't quite right. Thanks to talks I had during the day with the likes of Kev Lee who has made Stotfold one of the best tracks around, and other constructive criticisms, we are aware of the areas which need urgent attention before the 2wd regional next month, and we will do our best to make improvements to the existing track by then rather than extend into the infield. Before next year's regionals we hope to have created an infield section and moved the rostrum to improve visability.

Grateful thanks to Lloyd Storey, Richard Ralph, Mark Paice, John Spencer, Graeme Smith (his bl***y fault I got involved, and I don't even race!!!) and of course the committee members and sons for all the extreemly hard work put in over the last month to get us this far with the track. Without their help ther would not have been a meeting at all today. This track is "WORK UNDER PROGRESS" and will continue to improve.

The track itself is one thing, but the running of the meeting did not go smoothly due to inexperience, for which I appologise. The computer did crash once, but you all crashed more times yourselves!!!, and mistakes were made. Thanks to John for helping us out. Anyone out there who could help, or even run the 2wd next month, we would love to hear from you.

I will let you know when the next work part is so you can come and help us improve the track.

Martin-Barbour
23-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Here are some pictures from yesterdays event.

Many thanks to all who made it possible.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/mmbaba_78/Silverstone%204WD/?albumview=slideshow (http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/mmbaba_78/Silverstone%204WD/?albumview=slideshow)

Swiss
23-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Nice pictues Martin.... (Who's is that sexy orange one :)) Yep, although my worst regional event for a couple of years, thanks to all who made it possible Graham, his Dad, Lloyd, Richard, John etc.... Looking like it has excellent potential. Well done to Greg, who broke it first two rounds and still pulled out the win.

Paul T

sean0
23-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Unfortunatley me and my dad were unable to attend this weekends meeting due to racing else where. With some tidying up of the track and with us hopefully there next time to help run the next 2wd regional it should an even better day.

Sean0

Marcus T
23-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys,

I hope u had a good meeting at the weekend, as a racer myself i found the track very challenging, because i normally race on a flat track lol, but still i enjoyed the expereince, You probly dont no me cause i am mostly in the back ground, but silverstone buggy club wouldnt be were it is, if it wasnt for me and my dad, 2 years ago my dad became the race director of silverstone model car club indoor, then a year after, we decided to use the facilties and the feild to start up a buggy club, so then the stress started, we had two regional rounds and the end of season Nationals on the grass track which was ok but not good enough, so we knew we had to change, so graham and geoff smith approached us to make a change a Big Change!!, and we are glad we did, with a lot of money and hard work, we held our first meeting on the astro, yes there is minor problems but guys they will be fixed, and i hope the future meetings will get better and better!!

Me and My Dad are very thankful to those who helped with the track, Graham,and geoff smith, Bruce,and sean oliver, Greg williams who ran the event, and the racers, john spencer, lyod, richard, mark pace, and many others,
and another thank you to the SRA for supplying the facilailties to run the track, and Andy kictchen (Shaks barn farm) for supplying the Containers and the track, and everything else

Many thanks Guys!!!
Marcus trofimov, and Mark Trofimov

Any ideas for the track are very helpful so dont be affraid to say something!

spenner
23-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day!!!!!

The potential is there and it will get better, the good thing is the club has a decent number of people that will offer a hand.

Keep us all posted on work parties etc... although i won't be around for the next month!!!

ianplimmer
31-07-2008, 08:41 PM
is there a club meeting on this weekend ?,if so what are the opening times ?

JCJC
01-08-2008, 06:06 PM
I dont think the club is holding outside buggy meetings this weekend, still adding astro to the infield etc. Also a MidSouth 2WD regional at CML in Newbury will/should pull the local drivers (Sunday 3rd)

GPS1
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, No meeting this weekend as we're all off to CML for round 3 of the 2WD Mid South Regionals!!
As jcjc said we are about to take delivery on Monday of 7 tonnes of sand & another 20 tonne of astro turf to complete the in-field of the track!
We (the club) are looking into perhaps running either an end of season race or depending on time and other events being held, some sort of curtain raiser race to the 2009 season!!