PDA

View Full Version : setups please

paulc
18-06-2008, 06:13 PM
hi guys

need a couple of good starting setups for eden park and for the belguim gp for my s4 i will be using assocaited shocks

thanks paul:)

Body Paint
18-06-2008, 06:28 PM
None of the team guys have ever run Associated shocks, as far as I know. I suspect you'll end up trying the car with associated shocks and then find the car just doesn't handle quite right and get a set of Losi shocks. That is what everyone I know that has tried associated shocks ends up doing, it's your choice but if you want the ultimate tool then invest in the best :thumbsup:

jcb
18-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Can't really help you with setups directly for Eden Park or the Belgium GP as I have never raced at either track.

One of the local lads round this way tried AE shocks on there S4, it wasn't to far off losi shocks, but like Bodypaint has said Losi shocks are the way to go if you can get / afford a set.

Pretty sure the front end was:
middle on tower
inside on wishbone
40wt oil
number 2 piston
blue spring

For the rear:
inside on tower
inside on wishbone
30 wt oil
losi blue piston
Am pretty sure it was a blue spring on the rear as this was similar to a losi pink spring, where as the AE silver spring (being softer than blue) is more like a yellow.

I never ran any washers under the ball stud on the front camber link.
On the rear - middle hole on hub carrier and 3 - 4 mm washers under inner ball stud

Short wheel base
2 degree anti squat
big rear wing :)

Hope that helps

rcracer
18-06-2008, 10:18 PM
None of the team guys have ever run Associated shocks, as far as I know. I suspect you'll end up trying the car with associated shocks and then find the car just doesn't handle quite right and get a set of Losi shocks. That is what everyone I know that has tried associated shocks ends up doing, it's your choice but if you want the ultimate tool then invest in the best :thumbsup:

he did have losi shocks on craig but he took them off and fitted AE ones( he's strange :lol: ) i run losi shocks so a base set up for belgium would be a great help :thumbsup:

Body Paint
18-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Here is what I'd start on:

front, black piston, 35wt, green spring, outside on wishbone, 2 washers inner ballstud, one washer outer ballstud.

rear, 566 piston, 30wt, red spring, inside on wishbone, inside on tower, 3 washers inner ballstud, long wheelbase.

rcracer
18-06-2008, 11:05 PM
cheers craig ;)

Body Paint
19-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Neil, if you need a hand with setups come give us a shout Jonathan and myself will be trackside at Belguim :thumbsup:

rcracer
19-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Neil, if you need a hand with setups come give us a shout Jonathan and myself will be trackside at Belguim :thumbsup:

very much appreciated craig :thumbsup:

paulc
19-06-2008, 04:48 PM
hi guys

thanks for the replys i have been running the s4 with losi shocks on since feb/march time when i got the car thought i would try the ae shocks and it felt better thats why i was going to stick with them

you mention washers under the ball studs currently i only have one on the camber link at the front and one under the the ball stud on the rear what differance does adding more under the front make to the handling of the car same goe's for the rear what differance does adding more do :confused:

one other thing when the front suspension is at full droop i have toe out when the shocks are compressed i have toe in :confused:

any advice would be great

thanks paul

Body Paint
19-06-2008, 08:28 PM
More washers under the inner ballstud will give the car mor initial grip and make the car feel sharper. I found that with the losi shocks ( as they are a tad longer than associated) that the car felt like it had a lot of body roll the extra washers make the car corner much flatter but you keep the suppleness of the suspension over the bumps and undulations.

The other problem is known as 'bump steer' some people like to have some bump steer, I prefer to have as close to none as possible. You can alter the amount of bump steer by altering the number of washers under the ball stud on the steering arm (nearest the wheel) try experimenting with different numbers of washers and see what the effects are :)