PDA

View Full Version : 2wd buggy choices

200sx
28-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I can't decide which midmotor 2wd to go for.
There's quite a good mix at my local club, DEX210, SV, SV2 and TC02C mainly.

I love the look of the SV2 but the DEX210 wins more races.

I don't want to be buying the kit and then having to spend more on getting the car up to scratch so which buggy is more capable 'out of the box'?

Which has the best parts availability?

Which has the most reasonable price spares.

I want a buggy that will grow with my ability. The option of tuning to one extreme or the other, something my Ansmann X2 is lacking. I enjoy tinkering as much as I do racing.

s22jgs
28-12-2012, 09:47 AM
i think lookin at which wins more races is the wrong way to view it. If someone is a quick driver, they will be quick with just about any car. That said some cars do suit people better than others.

The durango is great on high grip but loses soemthing on slippy, and depending on your electrics and batteries might need weight adding to make it work for you.

Same with the SV2, one person i know is having to run about 150g of weight to make it work for them.

Might be worth having a look at the Hobao H2 Pro. Its priced much better, and you get alot of car for the money. Mine came today, and to be honest, i think its a higher quality car than the durango i have been running for the last year.

200sx
28-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the advice Steve. You're probably right about the quick driver comment.

The Hobao looks nice but I'd rather go for something that's been out a little longer.

I don't mind adding weight, it's cheap. I don't want to be forking out for gear diffs, alloy hubs etc. They can double the price of the kit!

Lee24h
28-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Wait till the end of january abd get a team c tm2 or a hobao pro kit

jasonrcb
28-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Im with steve on the Hobao H2,there is so much car for your money and the quality is second to none.its certainly worth considering.

s22jgs
28-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Also worth noting the Hobao H2 comes with gear diff in the kit.

Lee24h
28-12-2012, 01:58 PM
The only thing personally i would say im my opinion if i had one i would have to re anodise the shocks to orange or the rest of the bits to pink not too much of a problem on the club kit

200sx
28-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking of 'cheaping out' for the time being an picking up a Team C TR02C (Lupuz?) kit and transferring all the good parts off my X2 pro to the mid motor chassis.

It seems that this time of year isn't great for picking up a new kit. New, unproven, chassis being released, 'old' chassis still commanding top money.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the Hobao buggy over the next few months that's for sure.

losichris
28-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Ive had both, and sv2 wins in all departments.
But if youve never raced before, you should be looking at a rtr b4

cigbunt
28-12-2012, 07:21 PM
i wouldnt get a b4 rtr you'll regret it and just upgrade everything.. plus its imperial threads!

if you buy a used chassis you can get a tc20c/x2c super cheap £40-60
if new theres loads to choose from

200sx
28-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I've been racing a while now. Currently running an ansmann x2 pro (same as the tc02c but rear motor).

I want to make the move to a mid motor config, hence the sv2/dex210 dilemma.

I thought rather than starting again and building up a spares collection for another buggy, why not just get the cheap tr02c and move across my x2 alloy shocks, turnbuckles etc.

I'm quite fond of this idea as I can use my stick lipos in the tr02c, I'd need to fork out for saddle packs for the tc02c.

I would effectively have a stick pack tc02c by the time I'm done.

Good move?

budgio
28-12-2012, 10:09 PM
You can get a conversion kit from team c to convert it.
It may be the cheapest way,not sure on the uk pricing for this
http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=871&category_id=49&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71

Lee1972
29-12-2012, 01:57 AM
i wouldnt get a b4 rtr you'll regret it and just upgrade everything.. plus its imperial threads!

if you buy a used chassis you can get a tc20c/x2c super cheap £40-60
if new theres loads to choose from

Nothing wrong with an Associated B4, there are plenty of people at our club run them or the many variants of them, you can pick up on Ebay a B4 Factory Team for between £ 60.00 and £ 80.00; widely supported with spares from many model suppliers and can be upgraded to mid motor X6, Centro or Vega :thumbsup:

adon30
29-12-2012, 09:51 AM
If I were you I'd be considering the tc02c/x2c, hobao h2 or converting what you have to a x2c or even use a monkey chassis so you can stay with stick packs.

As for the x2 pro it is still a competitive car. I have one and find it to be an excellent wet weather back up. You don't need to 'tinker' with its setup. Most you need to do is change the tyres and ride height. If you want you can do the rear anti squat mod on it which would allow some further adjustment.
Other than that its a car you can just set up and drive. Which is the best way you can improve.

Same with the x2c. Set up is fairly standard which means you can concentrate on the important bit.

For the monkey conversion contact melianw on eBay they may be able to sort you out with the necessary parts to complete a conversion. The chassis is about £5 then you'll need the gear box, tower, mount, tpiece etc. I sold a conversion some months back for about £18.

danDanEFC
29-12-2012, 12:13 PM
What's popular at your club? Is the question I would be finding the answer for.

No point in buying an excellent sv2 if no one else runs one at your club.

Ps it's not the best but all the cool kids are running a LWB 210 :-)

200sx
29-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I ended up buying a Team C TR02c (lupuz) kit.

For £60 I get the parts required to convert my X2 pro to a mid motor, spare arms, set of wheels and more.

I like the fact I can still use my stick packs.

I'll be needing a clear lexan shell, seen a nice looking Penguin bodyshell on ebay. How much do you reckon the pre-printed kit shell would sell for?

budgio
01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Team C Pre printed cheap
I have one of these and are much better than the Ansmann printed ones
http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=1035&category_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71

cigbunt
01-01-2013, 09:49 PM
are these thicker lexan?

robstanway
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Schumacher

mattr
02-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Nothing wrong with an Associated B4, there are plenty of people at our club run them or the many variants of them, you can pick up on Ebay a B4 Factory Team for between £ 60.00 and £ 80.00; widely supported with spares from many model suppliers and can be upgraded to mid motor X6, Centro or Vega :thumbsup:hmmmm, not convinced. if you get a 4.1 rtr, buy a big big bag of spares..... on the plus side, everyone stocks the parts and they are cheap.