PDA

View Full Version : TM2 race report

john333
19-01-2013, 03:57 PM
At west bridgeford indoor championship round 2.

The first major outing today for the TM2 saw 2 cars in the A final, Ian Mellish and John Jones, with Paul muzgrove doing a great job in the B final

A very close and even final saw Ian mellish finishing in a great second place just behind Lloyd storey, and John after a big off working back upto 6th place, 15 seconds behind the winner.

The TM2 is staggeringly good on carpet, in fact it took me all four rounds to dial myself into how fast it was capable of going!

Without the crash I would possibly have been pushing for a place on the podium, something I could only have dreamed of until getting this car.

Smartalec
19-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Well done John, great to see you like the handling of the new TM2. Keep us posted on future outings with the car and any changes you make.

Racing for me was cancelled due to the weather this weekend so i'll have nothing to report till Tuesday.

Alec

john333
19-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Hopefully the photo is visible of the results as its off my iPhone.........

stall4king
19-01-2013, 06:14 PM
What John says!

The car was great today and needed minimal tuning to get on the pace, i havent got the car in front of me...someone has borrowed it to take to a Broxtowe club meeting but my end set-up was summet like this...(ill re-post if anything is different!)

Front

Medium springs
kit pistons (taper facing down...manual says to have them facing up?)...What size are the front kit piston holes, they're tiny!
35 weight Associated oil
Middle hole on tower
Outer hole on arm
25 degree castor blocks
Longest possible camber link, no spacers under ballstud.
Ride height 19mm
Low profile cut Schum. yellow stgd ribs

Rear

Medium springs
Kit pistons
25 weight Associated oil
Outer hole on tower....(i preferred it to the middle hole as it felt as if the car rotated a little better, though my fastest laps were identical to having them placed on the middle hole!)
Inner hole on arm
Sorry, cant remember the camber link positions....probably kit!
1mm anti roll bar
2mm camber
Ride height 19mm
Diff oil 1000

urrmm...think thats it!

Great first outing for the car but i suspect we will face a stiffer challenge next week at worksop!

Muzzie
19-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The car was great today and it was my best result ever :thumbsup:. I would have finished better in to the B final if I hadn't got a case of red mist near the end. I need a bit more practise dealing with that much pressure :blush:. It tough near the top LOL.

I can't fault the car at all, I just wonder if running the roll bar on mine would have made any difference?

john333
19-01-2013, 07:30 PM
The biggest improvement you could make is to loose the red mist lol.

I was dead last After 2 laps And angry with myself, but 5 mins is a long time so I took a second to compose and caught everyone up (well some people!)

That's something I learned from watching Jamie booth and Phil booth over many years.

The best thing is you've got a car that is capable of catching up! Lol

deano43
19-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Well done to me two mansfield club boys john & muzzie great results i realy want mine to get sorted so i can compete but i am sure john will do the the bizo on it and a new sanwa tranny on its way should help too

Smartalec
19-01-2013, 08:49 PM
What John says!

The car was great today and needed minimal tuning to get on the pace, i havent got the car in front of me...someone has borrowed it to take to a Broxtowe club meeting but my end set-up was summet like this...(ill re-post if anything is different!)

Front

Medium springs
kit pistons (taper facing down...manual says to have them facing up?)...What size are the front kit piston holes, they're tiny!
35 weight Associated oil
Middle hole on tower
Outer hole on arm
25 degree castor blocks
Longest possible camber link, no spacers under ballstud.
Ride height 19mm
Low profile cut Schum. yellow stgd ribs

Rear

Medium springs
Kit pistons
25 weight Associated oil
Outer hole on tower....(i preferred it to the middle hole as it felt as if the car rotated a little better, though my fastest laps were identical to having them placed on the middle hole!)
Inner hole on arm
Sorry, cant remember the camber link positions....probably kit!
1mm anti roll bar
2mm camber
Ride height 19mm
Diff oil 1000

urrmm...think thats it!

Great first outing for the car but i suspect we will face a stiffer challenge next week at worksop!
Did you try it with and without the rollbar Iain? How did the diff feel with the 1000wt?
Alec

Smartalec
19-01-2013, 08:57 PM
The car was great today and it was my best result ever :thumbsup:. I would have finished better in to the B final if I hadn't got a case of red mist near the end. I need a bit more practise dealing with that much pressure :blush:. It tough near the top LOL.

I can't fault the car at all, I just wonder if running the roll bar on mine would have made any difference?

Well done mate, keep it up (red mist disappears eventually) ;0)

stall4king
19-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Did you try it with and without the rollbar Iain? How did the diff feel with the 1000wt?
Alec

No, i tried it in practice and felt the car was aided in the change of direction that a roll bar seems to give...i guess i should have tried it but after losing a round and changing other things i left it.

The diff felt really good, the car was really smooth and accurate to throttle and brake input and i guess it may help just free the back end a bit more?

john333
19-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I had 2000 oil in mine but in hindsight think it would have been even better with the 1000.

I also didn't run the roll bar in practice and the first round, definitely improved when I put it on.

john333
03-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Tm2 in the hands of SMD team driver Ian mellish today won (and tq'd I believe) Broxtowe snowman series.

A dominant performance by the new car outdoors, winning by half a lap, in cold and at times damp conditions.

The car was almost standard and running the gear diff.

Smartalec
03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Excellent result outdoors on a cold day, great to see the TM2 as an all rounder and not just a high traction car.

It's been reported to me that the car was also fantastic down at T.O.R.C.H in the damp (I believe) today.

Please post your set ups to help out all drivers of this awesome car. :)

john333
03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Broxtowe indoor club night, 1st over all

High traction carpet with very small wooden ramps.

Front; hard team c springs, 40 weight oil, shocks inboard top and bottom, yellow cut staggers, 30 deg caster, longest possible top link with 1/2 degree camber.

Rear; medium kit springs, 20 weight oil with half the piston holes drilled out to 1.5, shocks middle position at top, inner at bottom, short camber link with 1 degree camber, 1.3mm anti roll bar, short wheelbase.

Car would have gone even better with thicker oil in the rear.

It's interesting that my motor and speedo are getting warm for the first time ever, showing how much power I can use with this car.

ben44
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I do a race in france. I ve some problem withe my slipperbduring the 2 qualificatication but i thinks it s was a bad pignon.
I arrived to have the 4 place in B final the time offer the A without my problem.
I won the B main and many personn are very interesting.

john333
03-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Well done Ben, good result with a brand new car, nice that your time was good for the A main. Use a black spur gear in your car, they are stronger

ben44
03-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes i ve destroy one black and one yellow.
But it s the fault of the pignon

Smartalec
03-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Well done Ben, great result, make sure you really tighten the motor clamp down.

jaywestwood
04-02-2013, 01:45 PM
I ran the car in wet/greasy conditions on Astro
i changed quite a lot but ended up with a very balanced and fast car

FRONT
losi 30w oil Losi green springs
25 deg caster
2mm inboard shims
45g weight under reciever
Shocks middle on tower inner on arm
1 Deg camber
yellow staggers

Rear
losi 25w oil losi pink springs
shocks middle on tower and inner on arm
1k diff oil
2.5mm antisquat
40g weight in front of front rear hinge pin holder
NO ROLL BAR
1.5 deg camber
BB greens

20 mm ride height front and rear
Lmr wing
standard shell

stall4king
04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi y'all...

Hope you all had a good weekends racing as did we :thumbsup:

Just a bit of a report back on how we got on at Broxtowe yesterday and what changes to the car we made throughout the day.

Broxtowe is my home track so i was really looking forward to giving the car a good test, and when i opened my eyes in the morning to see that it wasnt raining i was even more excited! Although no rain had fallen the track was, as is nearly always the case early on, pretty damp. I must point out though that even in the wet that Broxtowe is a grippy track, but, in my opinion, is very sensative to changes in temperature....and with yesterday being cold, shivering to the bone cold (but not frozen), it meant that coupled with a damp track, grip levels were very low. Thankfully, by the end of practice, or certainly by the end of the first round, the track was mainly dry....happy days for TM2 drivers! I wouldnt say the track was high grip but it certainly wasnt low grip....lets say moderate!

Below is my starting set-up for practice....

Front

37.5 Associated oil
Losi black springs
Kit pistons....but two of the holes drilled out to 1.4mm, (im still not sure if 1.4 is too big)
Middle hole on tower
Outer on wishbone
Longest possible camber link (no shims under ballstud)
25 degree castor blocks
Ballistic buggy green tyres

Rear

20 associated oil
Core RC soft springs....these fit really nice on the TM2 shocks!
Kit pistons
Middle hole on tower
*Drilled inner hole on wishbone*
Shortest possible camber link
2 degrees anti-squat
2 degrees camber
*Simon moss stylee slotted top deck*
Ballistic buggy greens

Throughout practice the only thing we changed was the rear shock oil as i felt it was way too soft and that it was taking too much weight off the front so i upped it to 25 weight associated oil.

After the first round i felt that although the car was performing well the ballistic buggy front tyres were not giving the feel to the car that i wanted, they would grip initially and then wander...leaving you waiting in the middle of the corner until the car came back to you...hope that makes as much sense on here as it does in my head! We decided to give staggered ribs a go, and due to the cold conditions we opted for the super soft silver compound which i have seen work well on other drivers cars here in the past.

This just planted the car and it made it so much easier to hold a line, fast or slow. I could just chuck it into corners and it would stick and take off again and with the track drying out it was even better with the gear diff (with 1000 oil in)...thinking about it, it may have been even better with 2000 weight in as on the exit of some corners it felt like the car just wanted to carry on rotating....though that would be being very picky!

The only other thing we changed throughout the day was the anti-squat. It was difficult to get any power down on the exit of some corners and reverting back to 0 degrees pretty much cured this. The only areas on the track i thought this wasnt beneficial was on the long-ish sweeping corner leading onto the straight as with more anti-squat on i could drive it in one long fluid arch, but with 0 degrees i felt that i was on and off power a lot to keep the front end steering on the racing line.

Overall it was a brilliant outing for the car, and an even better result. I cant wait for the sunshine to return because some good results are going to be had! I guess thats kind of a long winded post to explain only two or three changes we made to the car but i just wanted to share how and why we got to where we did :thumbsup:

shark
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Great post mate . Explained beautifully , your car was awesome , drove away in the final ..... :)

john333
04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Not bad for a barge eh Ian? :p:p:thumbsup:

stall4king
05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Cheers Ian....the car was great pretty much all day, and when the grip came up it was awesome to drive with the gear diff in..almost like driving on carpet!

ben44
06-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Here my setup from my last race.
I was in B main like i said befor but the car have time to be in the 4place A main.
It's was the first run so if need some time to find the setup.
It's low gripp with gym floor (tartan) and jump with carpet.
I will give you link later from the race with picture or movies.
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/teamc/setupteamctm2/TM2_BenjaminSion_Dammartin20130203.pdf

I was really happy with the car and many people said the car was famous :)

Next race will be National french cup on full carpet.

shark
11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Not bad for a barge eh Ian? :p:p:thumbsup:Not bad at all mate, ummmm ................................

Gordonm
11-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Ian-You know you want one!!!!!!!

shark
11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Ian-You know you want one!!!!!!!Sssshhhhhhhhh .

jlucas
17-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Surrey and hants winter series round 4 took place today i pulled up trackside and was welcomed by damp astro. my tm2 was setup as it comes out of the kit except for the associated front hubs and 2k diff oil.

After practise i put 1mm under the front rear hinge pin holder and changed to the team c soft rear springs

Round one and the car felt slow but i had a clean run and took tq decided to leave the car as it was for round 2

Round 2 and this time reigning euro champ lee martin took tq i managed 4th in round on a rapidly drying surface

Round 3 i was the only car to gamble yellow minipins again lee martin took tq this time though my gamble paid off as i went 2nd in round

Round 4 again lee as we all expect tq'd i was plauged by transponder issues and ended up down in 16th

So onto the 3 leg a final

Round 1 saw lee retire mid way through the run which left me leading and i was shadowed all the way by nic childs and his durango 210 heading into the last minute i got caught up with a back marker which let nic through and i was unable to make a move in the remaining time eventually finishin .3 behind nic

Round 2 and lee led away i tried a cheeky move on the inside into turn one which resulted in lee being off line for turn two and he got caught on the piping next thing i knew i was leading and had pulled a big lead as lee had a nightmare first 2 laps i kept my lines clean and traffic was very kind to me. As time dwindled i could see lee getting closer lap by lap but he just ran out of time finishing just 1 second behind me

Round 3 and myself nic and lee all had a shout at taking the overall win this time lee flew away no chance of a cheeky look up the inside. Lee took flag to flag win giving him the overall win i manage to finish second a full lap down but he is euro champ so im over the moon and third went to the kyosho rb6 of demetri panyides

Will post full set up in the next few days

James

john333
18-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Good result with that level of competition!

DerbyDan
19-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Nice write up James, you must be well stoked with that 2nd leg result!:thumbsup:.... all these people talking about how well their TM2 is going, means that I am just itching to get hold of one for myself, but i'm having to be patient!:)

mgdannyk
19-02-2013, 10:51 PM
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Smartalec
20-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Silverstone (Moulton college) Tuesday night, 6th round of the club championship.

On arriving (around 6.00pm), it was clear that the usual lads had done a grand job and the track was almost finished. My practice was very short this time around as I had agreed to help Lew Page change a few things on his car to help him with his set up on the TM2 so basically, I had a quick go round the track to familiarise myself with the layout and make sure everything was as it should be and then back to helping Lew.

The most noticeable change I made for the evening was the fitting of a ball diff, this is something i've wanted to try on the car for a couple of weeks on this surface (grippy astro), the rest of the set up was basically unchanged but I will be posting a complete set up soon.

Competition was going to be tough as Kev Lee and Danny McGee were both in attendance along with all the other local fast lads.

Round one and i'm off 4th and a good start, after 3 laps i'm looking at TQ so all is good until an unforced error dropped me back to 3rd behind Danny and Richard (Jono). A couple more laps and another error on the same corner :mad: so back another place. After a few more laps settling down i'm back up to second behind Danny and that's where I finish, so not too bad but kicking myself for making the two errors. I lower the car a couple of millimetres before the next round.

Round 2 and I go off second behind Danny so a good start and after a couple of laps Danny has made an error and i'm through to lead on the track but Kev Lee has started down the order so is ahead on the stagger. Another error on the damn same corner and it costs me 3 seconds. The rest of the run goes well and I finish 2 seconds behind Kev so that error hurt. No changes to the car for the next run as i'm happy the way it is.

Round 3 and i'm off behind Kev this time so round the first right hander and caution around the corner that i've got stuck on three times now which allows Danny to close in, the next is a left onto a small table top jump which I slightly overshoot allowing Danny to close a little more. I decide to move wide on the next one and let Danny through as I feel i'm holding him up so I follow for 2 laps until Danny has an error over the jump by the rostrum and gets stuck. I'm through to chase Kev but he's a few corners ahead so the sensible thing is to make sure I don't crash and consolidate the grid spot. So the run ends clean and i'm 4 seconds off Kev at the finish and we both improve our times to go 1 and 2 on the grid with Danny in 3rd. Again no changes to the car as I feel it's perfect.

Onto the final and a good initial start and i've closed in a couple of feet on Kev going into the corner where i've made the errors, no problem this time and over the ripple section, getting a little sideways as I come off and lining up for the next corner which is a sharp left. Stupidly, I turn in slightly early and hang it up on the pipe where i'm stuck fast, Danny has no time to go round and gets caught up with me so we drop to 9 and 10 :blush:
We are both off again and catch a couple of cars almost straight away, then a lap or two more and we are making out way through and up the order once more. I manage to get away from Danny and after another couple of laps i'm up to 4th and closing in on Jono, he moves a little wide (cheers mate) and i'm through to chase Matt Owen who has moved up to 2nd. Matt makes an error in the middle (that made me smile a lot :p) and i'm through to second which, after the initial error, is a good achievement. Two more laps and I hear that Kev is 5 seconds up the road so with only 25 seconds on the clock it's unlikely that I can do anything about that unless he makes an error. Amazingly, that's exactly what he did, in the same place I did on the first lap :eh?: so I go past and into the lead, with only 15 seconds now remaining i'm staying off all the apexes to make sure there's no silly mistakes and I come home ahead of Kev and Jono takes third with his TM2. A great result for the car against 2 of the countries top drivers.

Anyone who hasn't already visited this superb venue should get up/down and have a go on a Tuesday night as this club is a real credit to all involved.

StevenBest
20-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Stupidly, I turn in slightly early and hang it up on the pipe where i'm stuck fast, Danny has no time to go round and gets caught up with me so we drop to 9 and 10 :blush:
Beautifully marshaled by me:D;)

Tbone
21-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Silverstone (Moulton college) Tuesday night, 6th round of the club championship.

On arriving (around 6.00pm), it was clear that the usual lads had done a grand job and the track was almost finished. My practice was very short this time around as I had agreed to help Lew Page change a few things on his car to help him with his set up on the TM2 so basically, I had a quick go round the track to familiarise myself with the layout and make sure everything was as it should be and then back to helping Lew.

The most noticeable change I made for the evening was the fitting of a ball diff, this is something i've wanted to try on the car for a couple of weeks on this surface (grippy astro), the rest of the set up was basically unchanged but I will be posting a complete set up soon.

Competition was going to be tough as Kev Lee and Danny McGee were both in attendance along with all the other local fast lads.

Round one and i'm off 4th and a good start, after 3 laps i'm looking at TQ so all is good until an unforced error dropped me back to 3rd behind Danny and Richard (Jono). A couple more laps and another error on the same corner :mad: so back another place. After a few more laps settling down i'm back up to second behind Danny and that's where I finish, so not too bad but kicking myself for making the two errors. I lower the car a couple of millimetres before the next round.

Round 2 and I go off second behind Danny so a good start and after a couple of laps Danny has made an error and i'm through to lead on the track but Kev Lee has started down the order so is ahead on the stagger. Another error on the damn same corner and it costs me 3 seconds. The rest of the run goes well and I finish 2 seconds behind Kev so that error hurt. No changes to the car for the next run as i'm happy the way it is.

Round 3 and i'm off behind Kev this time so round the first right hander and caution around the corner that i've got stuck on three times now which allows Danny to close in, the next is a left onto a small table top jump which I slightly overshoot allowing Danny to close a little more. I decide to move wide on the next one and let Danny through as I feel i'm holding him up so I follow for 2 laps until Danny has an error over the jump by the rostrum and gets stuck. I'm through to chase Kev but he's a few corners ahead so the sensible thing is to make sure I don't crash and consolidate the grid spot. So the run ends clean and i'm 4 seconds off Kev at the finish and we both improve our times to go 1 and 2 on the grid with Danny in 3rd. Again no changes to the car as I feel it's perfect.

Onto the final and a good initial start and i've closed in a couple of feet on Kev going into the corner where i've made the errors, no problem this time and over the ripple section, getting a little sideways as I come off and lining up for the next corner which is a sharp left. Stupidly, I turn in slightly early and hang it up on the pipe where i'm stuck fast, Danny has no time to go round and gets caught up with me so we drop to 9 and 10 :blush:
We are both off again and catch a couple of cars almost straight away, then a lap or two more and we are making out way through and up the order once more. I manage to get away from Danny and after another couple of laps i'm up to 4th and closing in on Jono, he moves a little wide (cheers mate) and i'm through to chase Matt Owen who has moved up to 2nd. Matt makes an error in the middle (that made me smile a lot :p) and i'm through to second which, after the initial error, is a good achievement. Two more laps and I hear that Kev is 5 seconds up the road so with only 25 seconds on the clock it's unlikely that I can do anything about that unless he makes an error. Amazingly, that's exactly what he did, in the same place I did on the first lap :eh?: so I go past and into the lead, with only 15 seconds now remaining i'm staying off all the apexes to make sure there's no silly mistakes and I come home ahead of Kev and Jono takes third with his TM2. A great result for the car against 2 of the countries top drivers.

Anyone who hasn't already visited this superb venue should get up/down and have a go on a Tuesday night as this club is a real credit to all involved.

congrats on that result :)
happy to see the car winning races in UK too ..
regards Tom

DerbyDan
21-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Beautifully marshaled by me:D;)

I managed miss all that carnage which put me about about 3rd or 4th, I then got tagged a few corners later over the ramp in front of the rostrum which put me back to the bottom of the pack where I finished :eh?:

P.S; Nice one Alec on yet another win! - is it four on the trot now?

jaywestwood
22-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Myself James Lucas & Alec Springer arrived at Surrey and Hants for some thursday night racing under flood lights on astro.
The Track is a mixture of fast flowing sweeping corners and some very technical sections made that little bit harder due to visibility or lack of it.
We all had practice and all said we had good grip and cars all looked good so we set of into qualifying and after 5 mins Glen Westwood took TQ with his xb4 in 2wd configuration. I personally caught to many pipes as did Alec and james had another issue..
Still it looked good as we knew if we could keep it clean it would be a good time..
Round 2 was pretty much the same as was round 3 and 4..
Into the finals and it was glen tq then myself, alec in 3rd and James i think was 5th after some troubles

We set of and a little mistake from glen and i was past and away but some pressure from glen and i clipped a hose on a tight corner then into second i went.. I pushed the car really hard to keep him honest and managed some very good lap times.. Alec finished in 3rd and James was 4th..
Overall the car is awesome and with a little more time on track it will definately be a car to beat..

Cheers
Jay

richardj
27-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Team C kicks off the new season with a great result in the first round of the Spanish Nationals.

Click the link for full report.

http://www.smddirect.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewnews&news_id=7

ben44
27-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Very nice.
On the report we can find a nice movie :thumbsup:

stall4king
06-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Just another report back from the weekends racing....this time back at Broxtowes astro turf track again.

Last time out here the car was great, and that was in not so favourable TM2 conditions, my set up from then can be found earlier in this thread. This time out however the conditions were near on perfect for the car which meant some alterations to the previous set up were needed.

Although the track was being much dry from the start of practice I opted to start with the setup which had performed so well previously. Within a couple of laps I decided to try a change in tyre from schum. silver staggers/ballistic buggy greens to yellow staggers and schum. yellow mini spikes. I much preferred the balance of the car with this combination but it still felt like the car was pushing through the corners a little. To rectify this I lengthened the rear inner camberlink to the longest position, keeping the hub position on the inside. This made a massive difference and brought the car to life around every part of the track, I've learned that the shortest position really does help in lower grip conditions but when the grip returns it seems to lock the rear end in too much.

Another change I made, after round one I think, was to place some 1.5mm spacers under the front ballstud. Apart from working in tandem with the lengthened rear camberlink to help the car rotate more mid corner I actually did it to make the car feel less aggressive and more predictable on corner entry...this also worked well and was how I ran the car up until the final.

In the open practice before the finals I reverted back to 2 degrees anti-squat to try and get better through the tighter bits, I'm unsure whether it made a massive difference but whilst the grip was available there was no danger of it having an adverse effect on the rear end (to my knowledge!).

At the same time I also went to ballistic buggy whites on the rear. I knew from previous experience that the tyre works well at broxtowe but I changed as the yellows I was using were now struggling to give the forward traction required for me to be able to clear a tricky double jump. In terms of lap times I don't think there is much in it though I think I did prefer the feel of the yellows!

The car was excellent again and I'm really looking forward to trying it out on a different off road track....below is the setup as it ended up : )

Front

40 weight associated oil (ah, that was another change, up from 37.5). Think I may go back to 37.5 though as it feels a bit stiff.
Black losi springs
Kit pistons with two holes drilled to 1.4mm
Outer hole on wishbone
Middle on tower
Longest camber link position + 1.5mm spacers under ball stud
Schumacher yellow cut staggers (low profile)

Rear

27.5 weight associated oil (doh, another change...up from 25 weight, due to higher temperature)
2.2 (red) CoreRC springs (double doh...another change...up from CoreRc whites)
Kit pistons
Drilled inner hole on wishbone (really thinks this helps)
Middle hole on tower
Inner camber link position on hub
Inner position on shock tower

Was all good and will be where I start off for the Broxtowe regional next month :thumbsup:

Smartalec
06-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the report Iain, excellent as always and also well done on the series win, good stuff mate :thumbsup:

Adam F
26-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Ran my TM2 for the first time tonight, completely box stock apart from 40w in the front and 30w in the rear... amazing car...

Finished 11th in the 1st round, 7th in the second and then a flat battery (I had two, but one had some thermal issues :)) meant I ended up 8th in the A, a very good result for me as competition was pretty stiff.. (first time out too!)

Car felt great, easily as fast as my previous car and much more consistent but going into the final I hadn't noticed that the rear axle had some stray astro wrapped around it, so kept binding up and making the car pivot when turning left... my own fault but really easy to fix :)

Ended up last... but certain I could have had a reasonable finish had it not been for the rogue astro :cry:

Overall very very pleased, will be quicker with a few minor tweaks but to be honest its much better than I will ever be...

Chalkie
27-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Said you would like it Adam :)

DerbyDan
10-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Yes I had a similar experience to X313, my car had previously had a shakedown run at Kettering the week before but last night was my first proper meeting with this car (Kettering is really too small & low grip to get an idea of how the car performs)

Car was quick straight out of the box (I basically have the kit set-up except for 25wt oil all round with two of the piston holes in the rear shocks drilled to 1.2mm dia & 2000wt oil in the diff - all kit suggested link & shock positions etc) enough to qualify 5th in the A final. I had brain fade in the final meaning I finished flat last:bored: but what impressed me most were my laptimes - with my old car (Losi CR2) & the TC02 (I borrowed from Alec for a few weeks) I would achieve decent results by being consistant & clean but my quickest laptime would always be way off the pace of the top guys, with the TM2 I was able to get alot closer!

On Silverstone's astro, the TM2 seems to have almost no power-on understeer & so much front-end bite & grip it just encourages you to push & take corners faster than i'd ever dared before - problem is, I just hope I my thumbs can keep up!

kartstuffer
06-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I had a similar expereince to Derby Dan ,
My first run with the TM2 with pretty much kit set up apart from Front oil ae 37.5, kit pistons with 2 holes drilled to 1.3mm,kit springs ,kit castor (25 i think)
Rear. ae 30 oil, 2mm restrictor inside shock, kit pistons with 2 holes drilled to 1.3mm,
Car was easy to drive fast and consistent and i had my best ever runqualifying p2. My average lap is now what my fastest used to be !! & quicker than my 4wd.
The only problem i had ( this is a new kit build and first run) was the slipper overheating and loosening off in the qualifying runs, i eventually cured this completely by fitting a Durango 85t spur and AE hd slipper pads, perfect now.:D
As for the drive i am now looking for slightly more steering when going from a slow hairpin right to a fast hairpin left i am getting some power on understeer .This is on a high grip indoor astro track with an 18sec lap time.

ianjoyner
06-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I found a bit of low speed under steer at first, I tend to run the most aggressive front tyre I can, the balance is so good I still find it pretty easy to hang on to. Besides this try the forward ackerman positions (you need to adjust Tx end points) for more low speed steering. Also for left / right direction changes you may find coming down from 37.5 in the front helps, I'm not sure the 2mm rear limiter would help here either. Are you running the anti-roll bar? This definitely helps mid-corner steering.

kartstuffer
06-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi
Thanks for that , only driven it once so far ,am running lp cut staggers front and minispikes rear both in yellow,
Rear 1mm roll bar, and 20mm ride height with no added weight ( full rear wing and full tyres) might try cutting a row off rear tyres and cut gurney on rear wing .
As i say i have never been at the stage where i am looking for perfection but with this car i ran 3 heats and 3 finals without crashing once.( taken out twice by accident )
I am running kit med springs and was looking at other set ups and everyone seems to be around 2.4 rear and 4.2 front.
All in all the car is just amazing in letting me get this close to the regular winners,where i have rarely been on the same lap before.

darkelf
14-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I race this car during the last two months and it is very impresive how good it is in high grip astroturf. After one week testing it, i did a second place in our regional.

I would like to try the inner hole in the wishbone, but where do i have to drill the hole? Could you post a photo of it?

john333
14-08-2013, 10:07 PM
If you look at the wishbone with the 2 existing holes in front of you, imagine a 3rd hole equally spaced with the others towards the centre of the car.

So now you've got 3 equally spaced holes in the wishbone.

kartstuffer
20-08-2013, 08:33 PM
After my 2nd run now with the Tm2 and still learning the car , this is on indoor high grip astro, i am still running the same set up as the first run but getting much more power on understeer to the point where i have to back off exiting slow corners to avoid running wide , probably just my driving but any tips on how to reduce this would be great .
love driving this car but as i get nearer the front i find i want more !!
I am running an Orion r10 with Orion 6.5 geared at 21/85 with the speedo set to default values.

john333
20-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Try putting between 30 and 60 grams of weight at the front around the servo

Oh, and a thicker anti roll bar will help too

kartstuffer
21-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks John ,Will try to nite and let you know how it works.
:thumbsup:

kartstuffer
22-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Just back from a nights testing and what you suggested John worked a treat.Tried the car as raced last weekend to set a baseline and then changed to a 1.3 arb and understeer nearly all gone, gained 3/10ths a lap ,then i changed the front steering link to the fwd position and it just made the car work everywhere gained another 1/2 sec a lap to eventually set the fastest time I have ever done on this track and quite consistent as well . What I find with this car is that when you change something it instantly makes a noticeable difference, with my previous car you would change something small like this and not really notice a difference, and these are the only changes I have made so far.

brooksy
22-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I ran mine for the first time last night at a dry rhr. Kit set up with three holes in each piston drilled to 1.4mm,Losi 35wt oil in the front and Losi 30wt in the back. I put the 1.2mm roll bar on it and ran a battery through it. I also ran 2000wt in diff. Car was amazingly fast and the only thing I did to it all night was add about 30-40g of weight behind servo(ive yet to check weight exactly)because as James(RHR) has said the nose was lifting slightly on jumps. Ran the car again and it was just about there for my liking.

First proper meet with it will be the West Bridfgford regional in a few weeks.

Phill

kartstuffer
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Continuing on from my last post about lacking steering, I found out last night what the problem has been , the servo saver was not tight enough , simple in the end. Do many still run this or does everyone go to the alloy one ?

kartstuffer
05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I ran mine for the first time last night at a dry rhr. Kit set up with three holes in each piston drilled to 1.4mm,Losi 35wt oil in the front and Losi 30wt in the back. I put the 1.2mm roll bar on it and ran a battery through it. I also ran 2000wt in diff. Car was amazingly fast and the only thing I did to it all night was add about 30-40g of weight behind servo(ive yet to check weight exactly)because as James(RHR) has said the nose was lifting slightly on jumps. Ran the car again and it was just about there for my liking.

First proper meet with it will be the West Bridfgford regional in a few weeks.

Phill
Are you running a full size servo or a low profile ?

I have a full size Sanwa erg and think I need a little more weight to get the nose to come down sooner on small jumps.
Also what should the gearing be for a 7.5 motor ( indoor tight grippy track) I am currently running a 6.5 vortex / Orion r10 with 21/85 and find it hard not to over jump on the small hops.thinking of going 7.5 or 8.5.

brooksy
05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm running a full size servo and I can just fit 40g of lead between that and my reciever. I run a 24t pinion with kit spur and 7.5t LRP X20 but that has only been outside on a big astro track. What sort of gearing you would need for your type of track I don't know I'm afraid.
Maybe someone else on here can help?:thumbsup:

brooksy
08-09-2013, 07:40 PM
First meeting today at West Bridgford on grass with the TM2 and its the best result I've had in the last two years!. Got off to a blinding start to the day in heat one,then carried that on into the second round. Third and fourth rounds were a mixed bag really but got the two good ones that I needed.

End result i qualified in 8th in The B final...well happy with that:thumbsup:

Final comes around and by now the grass is well worn on all the exits of the corners so its a case of steady away really.

Had a bad start,got taken out on the first corner and got knocked down to last. Coming into the last two minutes of the race and i start catching six place but I didn't have quite enough:(

End result I finished 7th

For the first time out with it I'm very pleased.:)

Phill

Essexboyracer
16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Had my fourth meeting with my TM2 on Sunday.

I've had some issues with motors and speed controls in my previous 3 meetings (2 astro + 1 grass), but now i've got a 120a Hobbywing xerun, and a 6.5 speed passion motor with the rotor from my old 8.5, I seem to have a working system.

Anyway, raced at Gt Braxted, which is my local club. It was our club championship meet 7 of 9 (i think). Track is grass, but is very worn in places atm and gets dusty. 10 people turned up for the 2wd.

First heat track was damp, so I borrowed some white ballistic spikes for the rear, and they didn't have great grip but were predictable. I got 2nd place.

Second heat, track had dried a bit, so I tried my silver schumacher minipins, and they were good, but were coming away from the hubs by the end of the race. finished 1st.

Third heat It had dried out, so I thought I'd try my Dboot B-type multibytes. (A-s would have been better I think). They we great in a straght line, but slided a bit on the corners. overall were pretty good. Finished 1st.

Final Heat I tried the D-boots again, but others had made better tire choices. I moved up to second, but the leader got away from me, and didn't give me a chance to catch him. Finished 2nd.

For the final (I qualified 2nd) it had rained lightly before the race. I went back to the Schumacher silvers which i'd glued firmly to the hubs. Got a good start and got into the lead, Tires worked very well, and I did consistent laps until the end and finished 1st. Was my best time of the day too, even though it was damp.

I do love the way my TM2 drives. Reminds me a bit of my old Mad Monkey (my favourite buggy to drive so far) , but noticeably faster, and without the transmission issues.

cr1tch
17-09-2013, 11:15 PM
So I've recently got back into buggy, and the tm2 is a dream to drive stays level over jumps it's awesome.... Found that not matter how you take off the car would just soak up the landing with ease... So set the buggy up as per kit but 35wt front 27.5wt oil rear... Also drilled 3 hole on pistons to 1.4....

Had a few build issues 1st small gear that on the shaft inside gear box had com loose so fixed that... Also build slipper wrong gggrrr rebuilt but used rw gear and standard slipper pads much better nailed throttle and the bugger wheellied full length of straight...

All in all good first night run far better than my old losi 22

jimbobr5turbo
18-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Had my fourth meeting with my TM2 on Sunday.

I've had some issues with motors and speed controls in my previous 3 meetings (2 astro + 1 grass), but now i've got a 120a Hobbywing xerun, and a 6.5 speed passion motor with the rotor from my old 8.5, I seem to have a working system.

Anyway, raced at Gt Braxted, which is my local club. It was our club championship meet 7 of 9 (i think). Track is grass, but is very worn in places atm and gets dusty. 10 people turned up for the 2wd.

First heat track was damp, so I borrowed some white ballistic spikes for the rear, and they didn't have great grip but were predictable. I got 2nd place.

Second heat, track had dried a bit, so I tried my silver schumacher minipins, and they were good, but were coming away from the hubs by the end of the race. finished 1st.

Third heat It had dried out, so I thought I'd try my Dboot B-type multibytes. (A-s would have been better I think). They we great in a straght line, but slided a bit on the corners. overall were pretty good. Finished 1st.

Final Heat I tried the D-boots again, but others had made better tire choices. I moved up to second, but the leader got away from me, and didn't give me a chance to catch him. Finished 2nd.

For the final (I qualified 2nd) it had rained lightly before the race. I went back to the Schumacher silvers which i'd glued firmly to the hubs. Got a good start and got into the lead, Tires worked very well, and I did consistent laps until the end and finished 1st. Was my best time of the day too, even though it was damp.

I do love the way my TM2 drives. Remindes me a bit of my old Mad Monkey (my favourite buggy to drive so far) , but noticeably faster, and without the transmission issues.

Well done Will(?) Sounds like you had a good day Sunday, did you change anything apart from tyres?

I agree, it does drive really well, very precise and rewarding, but does get a bit loose compared to other cars when grip is low.
Regards,
James

Essexboyracer
19-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Well done Will(?) Sounds like you had a good day Sunday, did you change anything apart from tyres?

I agree, it does drive really well, very precise and rewarding, but does get a bit loose compared to other cars when grip is low.
Regards,
James

Hi James,

If you mean on the day then not really. I did play with the ride height a little, but found running fairly low was better when running no roll bar. We had changeable conditions, and I was just trying to get the tire choice right. Never got to settle on a tire, and work on anything else..
Will.

jimbobr5turbo
19-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi James,

If you mean on the day then not really. I did play with the ride height a little, but found running fairly low was better when running no roll bar. We had changeable conditions, and I was just trying to get the tire choice right. Never got to settle on a tire, and work on anything else..
Will.

Hi Will, I've not run a roll bar yet, might give it a try next time. Last time I ran the rear higher, which I preferred for the track conditions, but I am running 70g in front of the rear gearbox which might have an effect. Did you have any battles with Mike? Also, where have you run on astro? I hope to go to coastal over the winter.
James

Essexboyracer
20-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi Will, I've not run a roll bar yet, might give it a try next time. Last time I ran the rear higher, which I preferred for the track conditions, but I am running 70g in front of the rear gearbox which might have an effect. Did you have any battles with Mike? Also, where have you run on astro? I hope to go to coastal over the winter.
James

I didn't run a roll bar at Braxted. I found they're good for dry astro, but not so good in slippery conditions. I had limited battles with Mick, as one of us got clear each race, but our best race times were within 2 seconds.

Anyway, I'm also planning to go to coastal over the winter. Great track and facilities. Look forward too racing you there :)