PDA

View Full Version : Front 2wd tyre help.

Burty248
20-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Need some advice on front tires, there is a few things i dont quite understand.

First what order do these tires go in in terms of grip levels and best surfaces?

Mini pin
Mini spike
Cut stagger
Low profile cut stagger

And what is the advantage of running tires on slimmer rims aswell?

And one more should you run inserts on front tires?

Rich D
20-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Need some advice on front tires, there is a few things i dont quite understand.

First what order do these tires go in in terms of grip levels and best surfaces?

Mini pin - Mostly used indoors on carpet forget them for outdoors
Mini spike - You might choose to use these outdoors on grass where you need a depth of tread to cut through the grass. Cut off the outer row to remove a little initial steering. Too much steering for high grip surfaces. Green compound fronts are good for wet astro.

Cut stagger - these give a little more steering than the low profile cut stagger but may be a bit prone to "grab" mid corner so arent always popular. Makes driving a 4WD easy on high grip if used on the front on full width rims. Seem more popular on some chassis than others.

Low profile cut stagger - The preference for most when racing on astro indoors and outdoors. Gives less steering than minipins, easier to drive but less initial steering.

And what is the advantage of running tires on slimmer rims aswell?

Low profile cut staggers need to be mounted on slim or cut down rims. Most use the others you list on full width front rims.

And one more should you run inserts on front tires?

Inserts for all the tyres listed apart from the low profile cut staggers.

Burty248
21-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Wow nice reply. Thanks that helps a lot.

mtbd500
21-01-2013, 07:56 PM
What i cannot understand is the fitment of 2wd front tyres on the kit standard wide b4 front wheels, they are only 1 or 2mm narrower than b44 4wd fronts!. When i mount slims on wide fronts the crown of the tyre is stretched almost flat. This cannot be good for handling as when the tyre leans and the crown is flat you are running on the edge of the tyre (think tipping a ribena carton sideways) so should i cut down the wide rims or use 4wd tyres on the front as these fit better on the wide rims? also as a side note i was told to run 0deg camber on 2wd fronts can any experienced guys testify to this? thanks.