PDA

View Full Version : Big differences between the 3Gear and 4Gear?

sparrow.2
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Is there a huge difference in handling between the new car and the older car on astroturf?
Do they have to be set up totally differently or can I use newer set ups on the older car and be in the ballpark?

super__dan
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes and no. The difference is always there but more/less noticable depending on grip on track. There is more traction and a better balance with the 4 gear, it also flies better and is more receptive to throttle inputs in the air. The gear case is totally sealed and the gear spacing spot on (unfortunatly it wasn't 100% n nthe 3 gear).

For me personally there are no drawbacks. 3 gear setups will be fine but just work 'better'.

Big E
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
As Dan says really. The 4 gear is just a much better overall package and is a lot more predictable to drive and look after.

Having said that on high grip astro the 3 gear is still very fast.

You can use the same basic set up on the 4 gear from the 3 gear but it may need a few little tweaks to get it to feel right but that is all dependent on the tracks.

To be fair it's a bit hard to tell as the car came on leaps and bounds over the winter when I tried a few different things on it that we had not tried on a 3 gear car but I still think it would be ok on the 3 gear.

E.

Paul_Sinclair
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
If you're looking to go the other way with set-ups; that is, put a 4-gear set-up on a 3-gear tranny car, I've always recommended the following: add .030" underneath the thransmission case (whatever the 4-gear height is) and run the rear ride height slightly higher. This will at least give some of the drive back when on the ground, though the extra control in the air will not be there.

sparrow.2
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys!

Exactly the answers I was looking for! :thumbsup:

@ Dan: Any chance of me having a closer look at your car in Kampenhout and you maybe giving me a couple of pointers for mine?
Trade you a beer for the info :D