PDA

View Full Version : Painting Questions

Edd
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi guys,

I'm gona be painting my new d4 bodyshell soon and I just want to know a couple things before i start designing.

1. Is it okay to have see through (un painted) parts in the paint scheme? I imagine this would give way to chipping, could i reinforece it with some see through tape?

2. Can you spray acrylic paint and then spray polycarbonate paint on top to stop the weak sticking acrylic from chipping?

3. Does anybody know where i could get hold of window tint for rc cars? would real tint work? is there a spray?

btw, if this helps im can only so no airbrush and im using tamiya acrylics and tamiya for polycarbonate.

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Edd

glypo
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi Edd.

Acrylic is a big no. For body shells you only should use polycarbonate paints in nice thin layers. Acrylic will just flake off almost instantly with body flex.

See-through/transparent parts will be fine and should not induce any other paint cracks.

Tamiya do a "Smoke", which is (off the top of my head) I think paint number PS-31. This gives you a nice tinted style effect on the windows. All your paints should be PS- codes, PS meaning polycarbonate spray.

Tamiya do make the best spray by miles, if you paint it well (a few very thin coats, rather than one thick one) it will stick to the shell and last a long, long time. However the Acrylic sprays are for hard plastic, and not shells. If a model shop sold these to you knowing it was for a bodyshell....... that's very bad.

Edd
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
thanks very much glypo (sounds like a new battery type) I'l make sure i look at this "smoke" spray and yeah the acrylics was my own fault so unlucky there but my little brother has these little models he may want to use them for.

I wanted to see if i could bring back the body i ruined with the acrylics that i have seen flaking off but apparently it is possible to simply spray a few thin layers of polycarbonate on it and it will all stick so hopefully this will work and I won't have a wasted body.

Edd

Nos81
14-07-2008, 11:41 AM
It`s like Glypo said.
The Tamiya PS cans work great, I use always Ps 1 white in a thin layer to seal my airbrushed bodies:)

When you prefer blue tinted windows instead of grey there is a Color to, PS 39 I think red will be availeble aswell.

chris_dono
15-07-2008, 09:46 AM
faskolor do a paint called fastint that works well